The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could horses have candy hearts? Not many, just two or three. I'm talking about those Valentine conversation heart candies (they shut down the original :( but you can buy off brand candy). The horses would only get them once every other week because that's when I go for my lessons. It doesn't seem like just a few of them would hurt.

Y'all probably think all I give horses is candy -- I do plus the occasional horse treat, but because all the carrots go to my rabbit and all the apples go to us. I also don't think an apple would last too long in a forty five minute drive: I'd probably step on it, or scrape all the wax off with a pocket knife, or do something equally destructive.

My rabbit and my dog likes them but the rabbit only gets one and the dog got two. I was thinking a horse would definitely like one.

·
Banned
104 Posts
"Would it hurt the horse?" Probably not unless you feed a lot or the horse has some kind of EMS/IR thing. But, there are healthier treats... Just get more apples and/or carrots. If not, try these:

or crushed hay cubes (careful due to choke risk).

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
You've asked this same question about peppermints. Candy is candy and sugar, pretty much is sugar. The answer remains the same. There are better treats but a few here and there won't hurt.

You really need to be asking the owner of these horses this question as well as if she has a preferred treat for you to give.

·
Read Only
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've asked this same question about peppermints. Candy is candy and sugar, pretty much is sugar. The answer remains the same. There are better treats but a few here and there won't hurt.

You really need to be asking the owner of these horses this question as well as if she has a preferred treat for you to give.
I always ask her if I can give the horses something if I have something to give them. She's perfectly fine with me giving them peppermints; I have yet to ask her about the candy hearts.

I asked this because I wasn't sure if horses could even have them...

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
The candy hearts are just a colored sugar mixture pressed into a design and shape for a specific holiday upcoming.
It might be cheaper to purchase a box of sugar cubes and give treats of those....
Do ask the horse owners as you have done prior if there is a objection to giving sugar candies to the horses..

I happen to love to read the sayings on those hearts, but pass on eating them as to sweet to me. 💝
🐴...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts