Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious here...

Does anyone ever lead their horses with their cars or trucks? Like, you driving with the lead rope through the window and the horse walking/trotting/cantering along beside the vehicle?

Or am I the only one who see's doing this as something advantageous. I mean, if the horse was to get out of the pasture and got several miles away (which has happened to me once... I found my mare over four miles away, grazing along the side of the road...)... well, wouldn't it be a bit easier if the horse was trained to lead through a vehicle window?

What got me on this was earlier... my cusin came up and we groomed our horses. She had to get home before dark, but stayed a little late... so I offered to get the car and drive it so she could lead her gelding to her house without having to walk in the dark (I had to take my gelding back to his pasture regardless, and I was using the car to take him back, so it was obviously not a problem and her gelding knows ho to lead by a vehicle, when we owned him, we used to lead him with my uncle's truck a lot...).

Anyway, she said no, which I can respect, but her reasoning was that her horse would freak out (which he wouldn't). Even after I offered to lead him for her, she didn't want to... so I ended up and led my boy and drove slightly behind her with my emergency blinkers on, since it was getting late...

After we got to her house and she started on it, I took Dakota on up to his pasture. He trotted and cantered right beside my car without a problem. When it comes to leading that way, all of my horses know how it is done. They know how to tun and not to bump the car, or if they do bump it, they know to move over. They will talk, trot, canter, and gallop alongside the car willingly.

I was just reflecting on how them doing this has helped me out a few times when otherwise I would be stuck leading them for several miles... how it's really just bighelp for them to be so calm about being led by the car... or truck... or 4-wheeler... etc...

Does anyone else do this and what are your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Have done it, and will likely do it again. There has been a lot of times when my car was still at my house in town and I was up at the barn. Well, I am just too **** lazy to walk back to my house so I would just jump on a broke horse, ride them to my house, tie them to a tree while I got my car out, then lead them back up to the barn beside the car.

I would be extremely leery of doing it anywhere with any kind of traffic at all though. In my town, unless you are on one of the main roads, it's unlikely you'll meet another car at all.

ETA: I just thought of the same things that Bubba posted below me. Don't tie or wrap the lead around anything at all, be ready to turn it loose in an emergency, and take it slow. I wouldn't be okay with long trot or canter next to a car, I normally stick to a fast walk or easy jog.

·
Super Moderator
27,662 Posts
It's against the rules to do it at the shows I attend but yes. I've done it. From the back of a pick-up, from my car, and a golf cart. I don't encourage it but a couple times I had a few escapes and had to drive down the road to catch the little monsters... So I drove home w/ them by my side...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I think it is a terrible idea to do that, very VERY dangerous. When we bought my horse(14 years ago) the guy couldn't load him onto the trailer so he had the brilliant idea to tie Blue to the trailer hitch on his truck and drive. About half way to our house Blue broke loose and ran into the woods. We spend 4 hours in the woods following hoof prints before losing the trail. A few house later the guy informed us he had made his way back there(having to cross a pretty busy road in the process) We ended up riding him the 7 or so miles to our house.

My horse has been scared of traffic since I've had him and I've always assumed it is because of the day that we got him.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Out here where I live, there's not much traffic at all and everyone slows down for the horses. It's a small family-like, close-knit community. Part of the reason I put my Emergency blinkers on was because today has been the day that the chicken trucks come by... so if one of them came by while we had the horses like that, they could give us enough time to get off the road.

Only one car did come by us, and they slowed way down way back and let me and my cousin both pull our horses off the road. I pulled my car over as far as I could and stopped and she led her horse ahead of me in my headlights and stopped on the grass o the side of the road and waited for the car to pass us. Which it did. Slowly. Neither horse even blinked...

Leading the horses with the car is convenient at times, for me... especially now that two of my horses are in a different pasture,and, granted it's not a very far walk at all... but when it's dark and there are coyotes and mountain lions out... well, I don't want to accidentally walk up on one...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think it is a terrible idea to do that, very VERY dangerous. When we bought my horse(14 years ago) the guy couldn't load him onto the trailer so he had the brilliant idea to tie Blue to the trailer hitch on his truck and drive. About half way to our house Blue broke loose and ran into the woods. We spend 4 hours in the woods following hoof prints before losing the trail. A few house later the guy informed us he had made his way back there(having to cross a pretty busy road in the process) We ended up riding him the 7 or so miles to our house.

My horse has been scared of traffic since I've had him and I've always assumed it is because of the day that we got him.
I would say tying a horse to the trailer hitch on the back of your truck and driving is a bad idea. Doing it safely and carefully, with the horse being held or at least in easy grabbing reach, is probably a lot lower risk.

·
Banned
4,648 Posts

And that's why you don't TIE a horse to a car. Horses have been killed that way, both accidentally...and intentionally.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and I'm not talking about tieing the horse to the bumper or anything. i'm talking about rolling the window down, putting the lead through the opn window, and holding it loosely in a hand sothat the horse has give and the lead can be let go if need be.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
and I'm not talking about tieing the horse to the bumper or anything. i'm talking about rolling the window down, putting the lead through the opn window, and holding it loosely in a hand sothat the horse has give and the lead can be let go if need be.
That is a quite a bit different then what I was thinking(what my horses previous owner did). I still out only walk or a slow trot tho, I would be scared to do it at a canter or gallop. My horses are only on 2 acres tho so there really isn't a reason I would ever need to do that.

Oh and FYI, my horse loads in a trailer for me, just not for his original owner, I've loaded him numerous times with no issues. Not like that is relevant to the conversation, just sharing lol

·
Banned
1,689 Posts

An example of one does not a rule make.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
My horses sometimes get out and go visit the neighbors hay field. LoL.

I just grab halters/leads, go get my 4-wheeler and grab the 2 boys and halter them, and pony them back to my barn from the 4-wheeler. Chilly (my mare) just follows. Sometimes I'll just grab Nut-Megg and Jasper and Chilly follow as well.

My neighbors, luckily, are very nice and understanding. They have a gorgeous field that grows past my horse's bellies. Who wouldn't want to visit that? LoL.

But I find it very beneficial to have them desensitized to this type of leading because quite frankly, it's a long walk back to my barn...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
They say necessity is the mother of invention. Sometimes you gotta do what you've gotta do. Many years ago I did something similar because the horses got in the middle of winter, were miles from home and there was nobody around but my infant daughter and I to get them back. Walking them home with a wee baby in the cold was not an option. What did work was hanging pails of grain from my side mirrors. They just magically followed me home. Maybe it wasn't the safest way to move horses, but it did the job and it was much safer for the baby and I.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Amen.

Lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There was that girl in Florida a year or two ago that lost her hand or arm because she was leading a horse out the passenger window and I don't know if she wrapped the lead around or it accidentally got hitched on her arm and the horse pulled it off.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
There was that girl in Florida a year or two ago that lost her hand or arm because she was leading a horse out the passenger window and I don't know if she wrapped the lead around or it accidentally got hitched on her arm and the horse pulled it off.
Posted via Mobile Device
She wrapped it tightly around her hand.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I understand doing it on your property... bringing a horse in from a 100 acre field etc, but I would NEVER do that on the road. Too many things can go wrong. If your horse was to startle you would have no hope of holding on since you wouldn't be able to move with your horse. It is so easy for a horse to get hit by a car. People dont see horses, they dont always give horses a wide berth on the road and very often people honk and scare the horses. I don't see any reason to lead a horse from a car on the road at all.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.