Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

I just moved my horses to a nice fancy show barn for winter so I could work them. Its a gat place, has wonderful horses and awesome horse people.The horses thought they were going to have a very cold winter so grew very thick coats in response. At this barn they bring the horses into a well insulated/heated barn and feed them. Several horses in the barn wear blankets full time inside and outside. The mustang can't believe her luck and has settled in great. She thinks she's a warmblood now. My cob when I got to the barn this evening was coated in a layer of sweat from her neck to her butt.

I grabbed her cooler and hand walked her for a while then put her back in the stall. She has access to an outdoor run.

Is this okay?... Should I partial clip her?

I can have her blanketed if necessary but, I can't have her sweating like this just standing around and I have a feel asking to have my one mare put out to pasture alone wont go well with these people. I've spoken to another lady about this already but, theyre always asking about where their blankets are, if they have blankets, and generally making it feel like they should have them... 90% of the horses are blanketed at one point or another. None of them have coats really. Both of my girls are wooly mammoths....

I don't want to blanket them. I wish they would just leave my cob out full time but, she would be the only horse out there so, not exactly ideal especially since her best buddy wouldn't be out there with her so I know she would spend the whole night calling to her (she's a talker)...

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Move to somewhere better for your horses? Why can't you keep them out together? That sounds ridiculous, that it is so overheated, but that's what many showies are like. Gotta wrap 'em in cotton wool so they don't get a scratch or dirty, or God forbid they grow an ugly winter coat...

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
As you intend to work them and they have thick coats I would clip them. If you do a low trace or just a bib clip and the barn is warm, then there would be no need to blanket them.

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
Move them to a place where they can be horses and live outside with a run in shelter. Why in the world would you want them in a heated barn,not healthy at all.

Horses need to be horses outside not all cozy and protected from getting dirty. Sorry thats no life for a herd animal to be locked up in a unhealthy environment.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't want her in a heated barn... It just so happens the next most affordable and comparable barn runs over $1600 for pasture board. This barn has everything I was looking for in a barn with this only negative...
The horses generally are out at pasture full time (together) unless there's inclement weather then it's barn protocol, to be stalled. they're stalled (side by side with adjacent runs). the barn is trying to be nice and accommodating because they (IMO) don't want to leave customers horses outside while it's snowing all night/day with no shelter, trees, etc which is how the pastures are set up. I get horses can live that way but, that's just not how they do it and generally how they do it here seems to work really well for them. The mustang mare is doing great with the routine of going in at night which has to be done anyways to separate her from my cob for supplements. It's only the cob who's too hot because her fur is as long and thick as a bears...

I agree that the situation is not ideal but, she does have access to an outside run at all times when stalled... My horses aren't blanketed... I'm just trying to help her adjust from moving to a cold environment to a much more mild one.

Thank you Foxhunter that's what I was thinking I think I will look more into a trace clip.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
You have to do what you have to do. I don't think it abuse to have them in a heated barn. However, as you said- sweating is no good for your cob. Are you willing to do a partial clip as someone else suggested? If you do a bib or low trace clip, she will be able to let heat out from her stomach and neck but still have plenty of woolies to keep her warm as well. And if she acts cold on some of the coldest nights, you could just get her a blanket for when absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Ediku,

That was what I had had in mind but, could not find the words for to look up he pattern! I think if I do a partial clip like the low bib you suggested she'd be fine. Like I said, it isn't just the barn being warm. She CAME from a COLDER environment to a WARMER one and is not able to adjust very easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.