The Horse Forum banner

201 - 207 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
I struck gold yesterday. All this for $7. We cut the 25 foot pipes in half, so now I have ten ground poles or five cross rail jumps. The two big pipes I like because they're like jumping a log. They're not small enough to trot over but not big enough to be scary. And it's all pvc and fairly easy to handle. This all cost less than a single pipe from the hardware store. That being said, we did have to go drag half of it out of the woods while being swarmed by hoards of mosquitoes and getting tangled in briars.
IMG_20201111_112915428_HDR~2.jpg

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Got a round bale. Lady let me try it (since it's costal and technically cow hay) for $25. It's a thousand pounds if it's an ounce. So even if it's mediocre quality hay, so long as it's not moldy or dusty (it's not as far as I can tell) it's worth my money. I'm trying to find someone I can buy from on a regular basis for $50 or less. The local feed store has good hay but the bales are smaller and $65 a bale. Our TSC apparently doesn't have good hay so I'm avoiding them. I'm planning on pulling hay off the round bale to put in their stalls at night and raking the area daily to keep nasty hay from building up. It'll be good fertilizer eventually. The bale is up on a pallet against a tree and covered with a tarp. I'm experimenting. Maybe the horses will tear it to shreds, maybe they won't. I've never had them on a bale by themselves, we always had cows who were really bad about soiling hay.

Hopefully will get them this weekend. Before I do I still have to clean out the other stall/put away all the building supplies from the chicken coop and fix the electric wire.

I am a bit worried about the hay being costal, I don't think my square bales are. I've never had an issue with it before but after that one colic episode Jay had I'm paranoid. I guess I'll just add a little fiber to their diet.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
They refuse to eat the round bale. I knew I was running a risk when I bought an older costal bale, but now I've got to find a way to get rid of it. Luckily it was my first bale from that person so they gave it to me for $25. I can probably roll it onto the flatbed (with the help of several people) and take it to my grandma. Her cows would love it.

I've also been investing in some tack lately. I'm planning on having a sale either in December or the first weekend in January. I bought a pretty little saddle for $80 and there's another one I'm getting for $20. I traded a headstall for another moldy saddle I'm cleaning up. They're old and a little beat up and most have wood trees, but they're perfectly useable for trails and such. I'm going to package them with a bridle, pad, bit, and girth each, and sell them.

I went and bought a few good headstalls/bits for $5 apiece today. I'm keeping a pair of reins or two (because they're leather) and maybe a headstall. I also bought a lovely pelham bit and a handful of girths, one of which fits my horse. Though I'll probably resell it because it's neoprene, but heck. It was in perfect shape and only a dollar.

And then I scored. For $5 I picked up a Dr. Cook bitless bridle. I probably won't use it (unless my horse loves it, which I doubt) and will sell it since it's in perfect shape. Brand new they're like $90. My grandma's horse Teddy might do well with it though and if so it'd make a great Christmas present.

I've got several brand new things and a ton of refurbished stuff. I'll hopefully make enough money to pay for my college books for next semester. I don't think I need too many since most of the books we have are used throughout the whole program, but I know I'll need to get some. And I'd like to buy another pair of ceramic infused quick wraps for Jay. They really help his stocking up and arthritis by stimulating circulation.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I took a spill today. We did some liberty first and that was fun. Then I got on tackless and we walked around a bit. But it all fell to pieces when I asked for a trot. She took off and then skidded to a stop in front of JRs stall, sending me tumbling. She caught my head (slightly) with a hoof on the way down. All is well and as soon as I came off she stopped and stared at me like I was an idiot. "Mom, don't ask me to go unless you're going to tell me where to go. It's scary because I don't know what to do and so I panic and run."

I was mad at first but I probably asked for it.

Moral of the story- wear a helmet, because I wasn't. It's frightening to get nicked in the head when you don't have a helmet on.

201 - 207 of 207 Posts