The Horse Forum banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
My gelding actually isn't as much of a hard keeper as I thought he was. Once I switched to a much higher fat feed (he gets performance feed and a fortified rice bran supplement that is the most amazing supplement I've ever tried) he now only eats about 7lbs of his pellets a day, plus maybe 10lbs of hay and constant grass (during the summer anyway. In the winter he probably gets double that hay or more if there's a round bale out). Seeing how some other people feed their hard keepers, that's not that bad. The supplement is kind of expensive. He gets 2lbs of it a day and it's $30 for a 40lb bag. I also give him glucosamine and probiotics which have worked wonders for his digestion.

He's probably the healthiest he's ever been. Even his sunburn isn't as bad this year, probably because his hair is thicker and healthier. He used to be built almost like a TB, but not I can really see he's meant to be heavier than that. He's muscled up pretty well and probably weighs 1000lbs now. I never really thought he was that big, but seeing him move, he's a powerful animal. Not like my dainty half arab who's only 850ish. He's a big boy. He looks great for being almost 25.

I rode him the other day and was reminded of his stubborn habit of backing up if he doesn't want to do something. Also, he does not respond to light pressure of the bit when cantering. I think that's because he was a dressage horse and was used to constant contact, so he's weird on a loose rein. I should probably work with him but to be entirely honest, I'm not worried about it. He doesn't ever take off with you. He's done this for years and it's never gotten worse. I think it's just him, and since he's retired and doesn't run around much anymore, it's not usually an issue. He's a little set in his ways too. Working with him vs my mare brings to mind the saying about teaching an old dog new tricks. My mare is young and very smart, he's old and tired. It's not really a big enough issue for me to bother with. The little kids ride him with no trouble. He's happy in his bit. I think it stresses him when we try to do new things. He just wants to do what he's always done and I'll probably just let him do it. At this point it's almost not a training issue, it's just who he is. I've found old horses to be like that sometimes. As long as it doesn't become a problem I don't think I'll interrupt his peaceful life in the pasture for a training session in the round pen.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
On the subject of feed, the donkey and my old man got in the barn (somehow lifted the back doors off the hinges...not sure how they figured that one out) and ate a half a bag of feed. Luckily the feed was a low protein, low fat feed and they didn't have any issues. Now I'm just mad cuz I'm out a bag of feed. They almost tore apart a 40lb bag of a very high fat supplement and that would have been a problem. Luckily they were probably pretty full and gave up trying to open the bag. Not all horses gorge themselves I guess.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
My mare was very cinchy the other day and got quite mad when being asked to canter or when I moved the saddle around. She responded to some ulcer palpation points. Not sure why on God's green earth that she'd have ulcers, but that's the only thing I've got going. She did it in both of her saddles, both of which I KNOW fit her.

I'm going to try a homeopathic remedy for horse ulcers. It's used in humans for the same thing. I've used it for other gastric upsets before and it really does work. It could take a month of dosing twice a day, but it should work. It's massively cheaper than omeprazole and works with the body to heal itself. And it has absolutely no side effects, so worst case scenario it doesn't work.

I've got to get her home first though. And we've got to build a round bale feeder before that. And we've got to get dirt to fill in some holes in the pasture.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
What is the homeopathic remedy? I am always interested in that sort of thing and have had great success with some.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
It's Nux Vomica. But make sure to get the homeopathic remedy not some herbal version because in it's natural state it's incredibly toxic! I always find that funny, that a lot of homeopathic medicines are derived from very poisonous plants. I've used Nux for colic before and it really helped my boy.

Since ulcers are a chronic problem and not an acute problem, it can take up to 6 weeks for it to show major improvement. It's not an instant fix or miracle drug because it works with the horse's natural ability to heal itself, and that takes time. Also, Nux isn't for all ulcer patients. What medicine to give is also dependent on how the horse is behaving. Nux would be for more aggressive horses who act out when their ulcers hurt them (my mare). There are other remedies for horses who develop an anxiety because of their ulcers, or some who exhibit no mental change. Diagnosis is a little different than with nsaids or antibiotics.

If you like using more natural remedies then I would HIGHLY recommend taking a class on homeopathic medicine. It's kind of a lost art in this modern age of medicine, but it's really amazing to see how we can heal ourselves naturally. It's actually a lot more complicated than some people think. After all, it was what people used for medicine for thousands of years until we started to develop more advanced things.

I think I'll also feed her a little beet pulp every day and cut her from grain/pellets entirely. She really started having issues during winter when she had a lot of grain, was pastured alone, and I added plain rice bran to her feed. I don't think I'll be doing that again.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I struggle with being perfectionist and wanting do be just as good as everyone else. I was reminded of this when talking to a trainer I know who I sold a saddle to the other day. We got to talking about English riding and the bits allowed for certain disciplines. Tess, as far as I know, can't be ridden in a bit. But after talking to her, I began to wonder. Could I retrain her in a bit? Maybe the bruising in her mouth is just because she's not used to it. The trainer said if it were her horse she'd put her in some piece of equipment that attaches to the bit and holds her head in the right place so that if she tosses her head the bit puts pressure on her mouth. She said the horse would be sore for a couple days but eventually learn to keep their head where they don't feel pressure.

I mean, maybe? I doubt my horse was properly trained in a bit, so maybe she needs a restart. Maybe groundwork and hand walking in a bit. If she doesn't understand a bit, that could be why she throws her head and in turn gets bruised? I'm mildly interested in doing some schooling shows at some point and jumper is the only discipline where I'm allowed to be bitless.

I catch myself thinking about this and wonder why I'm even considering retraining her in a bit. I didn't have great luck before, but then again I was moving along a little fast. I think in baby steps, it's possible. She's much better behaved than she was before. I could start completely from scratch. She eats in a bit, I put molasses on the bit, we ride in a halter but with a bit in her mouth, we go slow and be gentle. I don't like the idea of whatever the devil the trainer was suggesting, I just didn't feel comfortable with it. I've used tiedowns and martingales and such before but none of them ever helped Tess.

Then again, something in my gut bothers me that my horse's mouth might get bruised. I don't like that at all. Some horses may need a come to Jesus meeting with a slightly stronger bit, but that's a pretty rare case. And I typically barrel race and ride western, so why do I care about the rules of English riding? I know it's easier to sell a horse if they can ride "normally" in a bit (though I feel that's changing because everyone loves bitless now) but I don't plan on ever getting rid of her unless I became physically incapable of taking care of her.

I dunno. Maybe I'll get a mullen mouth snaffle and just play with it. If she was soft and supple in her mouth I don't think she'd bruise. But is she bruising because she's throwing her head and doesn't understand the bit or is she throwing her head because she's hurting? It's all complicated.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I stumbled upon something interesting while doing some research. Some horses can bruise their mouth with just a snaffle from trying to chew the bit and pull the joint back with their tongue.

I may get a super thin mullen mouth and see if that bothers my horse. If only I were made of money...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I had an argument with Boss's foal this morning which resulted in me getting kicked in the elbow.

He's on stall/run rest with his momma because of an issue with his foot so he's a little antsy. Pretty sure he wanted to play but he already outweighs me and he's strong. We had to have a bit of a conversation with the manure fork and all was well. He stayed on his side of the run and I stayed on mine. Little turd. It's a good thing he's cute.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
I lunged Tess today and she was hilarious. She bucked and jumped around but didn't try to take off with the line so I let her be. She was probably blowing off steam since I haven't been riding her. Then she stared me dead in the eyes and blew as loudly as she possibly could.

It reminds me of before I got her and she was boarded with my trainer. She would run around the paddock with her tail in the air and blow and just act like...well, an Arab. She was feeling her oats. I guess she was being a little naughty, but she wasn't being bad. I know her when she gets bad and that wasn't it.

I did try a bit in her mouth today and she seemed perfectly fine with it. There was no irritable champing or bruising in her mouth. I think she just hates a normal broken snaffle.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I finally ordered a (used) oilskin duster. I've wanted one forever because Florida is always wet and I need something to keep me dry. Especially in the winter. It'll keep the wind off too, which is a blessing in the winter time.

People say that Florida isn't cold. And they're usually right. But when Florida does decide to get cold, she gets COLD. And it's usually raining or wet at the time, which makes it a thousand times worse.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
All of my tack is covered in mold. I hate Florida.

Not worried about the tack, just needs some saddle soap. My headstall is literally fuzzy...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Can't sleep because I've got some terrible stomach cramps. I'm up listening to this hurricane pelt the house with driving rain. Our local facebook groups are reporting trees down and power out. The storm is back up to 105mph sustained winds (cat 2) and is INCHING towards land. It hasn't made landfall and is moving so slow that even though it's not huge as far as hurricanes go, it'll bring devastating damage to some places, especially near the water.

What's interesting is that on this very day, 16 years ago, we had a monster of a storm hit this area. Absolutely flattened much of the coastline. 09/16/04 - Ivan. 09/16/20 - Sally.

This will be quite the storm.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
I’ve been thinking about you as I’m watching Sally moving toward the coast. —- at 2MPH:(

Yes, they mentioned Ivan hit on this day. They also mentioned storm surger from Sally May be the same as it was for Ivan — 9.4 feet.

Be safe and please post as you can, so we know you are.

The Hills of Tennessee might be looking better all the time:)

Reactions: ChieTheRider

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
09/16 ~3pm
This storm was arguably worse than we all expected.
Our neighborhood is alright, but one across the highway was under water this morning. There’s “tree trash” and limbs everywhere. We had a small tree fall on our fence, but other than that and having no power we’re not in trouble. My grandma’s place where the horses are got hit really badly. Her goat shed was destroyed and they were out gathering the poor, soaking wet baby goats that’d gotten out and bringing them inside. They lost a barn with some of my hay in it, but the horses are alright. The barn that they were in made it through Ivan, and it made it through this one. I can’t get to them though. Bridges are completely under water and some even have sunken cars perched on top of them.

Power lines are down and nobody has gas. We have a generator, but we have to turn it on only long enough to cool off the freezer and fridge before we shut it off again. Then we don’t get into the cold foods at all. Gas stations do have diesel though, so if it comes down to it we’ll take the diesel truck up into Alabama to fill up the gas cans. AC isn’t much of a worry since it’s not particularly hot, but if the power isn’t up soon (and I don’t see it happening in the next 24 hours) it’ll start to get awful soggy inside.

Another thing- the house that my grandmother rents out flooded again. There was a huge issue years ago when a levy built by the paper company broke, so they sued. They lost the lawsuit. However, now that the levy has broken again, the community would have a better chance of winning. There’s some agreement that the levy will keep that neighborhood water-free. Maybe it’s believable that it was breached once because of a freak storm, but it’s unacceptable to have it constantly break whenever there’s a big storm. It’s Florida. You can’t have a levy that floods an entire community whenever there’s a hurricane. The fact that this is the second time (the first time didn’t even involve a hurricane, and the levy is poorly constructed) makes it worse for the paper company. The neighborhood isn’t on the flood plane so it takes some pretty abnormal circumstances to flood it.

They had the coast guard lifting people off their roofs with helicopters in that neighborhood. What good is a levy if it doesn’t work? I hope they sue and win.
Also, the bridge that crosses the bay was struck by a barge and is missing a chunk of it. This bridge was just finished this year too. Nobody really knows what happened. Was it the barge or the storm that knocked a chunk of the bridge down? They’re going to redirect traffic to the toll bridge which isn’t even supposed to be a toll bridge. That’ll be fun. Imagine the traffic. I’ve yet to find out if my college has flooded. They were saying it has before.
So yes. We’re Floridians. We joke about storms all the time. We ain’t scared of them. But I will say, this storm wasn’t pretty. It tore stuff up. We’ve yet to see what we can do to help people out. It’s hard to safely get in and out anywhere right now.

09/16 ~6pm
Our entire area is without power. I’m typing this from my laptop that barely has a charge, using my data hotspot as we drive down the road (I’m not driving) because there’s no signal at my house. We’re seeing trees and power lines down for miles. There’s one house at the corner with a tree through the roof. The bucket trucks are on the roads and mom told us to buy the workers lunch if we ever see them out and about. They’re probably going to the more damaged areas first.

I may not even be able to post this since the network is so slow. Everyone is probably going through the same cell towers on the same network all at the same time.

09/17 ~3pm
We’re alive and I have power and internet back! Others are still working on power. There are lines down everywhere. Power was back about midnight this morning, and internet was back around noon. We went to give some gas to family. Their barn was destroyed. The horse barn is fine, this is the hay barn. I have some pictures of the damage. A boat ramp across the river claimed a couple cars which were still there this afternoon. It was one heck of a storm.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Oh my - I am at a loss for words:(. You write so descriptively, I feel like I can see everything.

I hope the baby goats don’t end up with pneumonia. I am glad your horses appear to be ok.

FWIW, Tennessee sent a lot of help to Florida but I didn’t hear which area(s). Some of our electric trucks are down there and I’m pretty sure TN sent some of those skimmer type rescue boats.

It goes without saying a lot of TN Red Cross volunteers are also giving aid.

Sending prayers and warm thoughts to all of you that are affected. I hope your grandma is hanging tough:)

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Oh, those pictures! My heart aches for you. I've walked in those shoes more than I want to. I hate hurricane aftermath almost as much as hurricanes. I'm glad you have power. It's so miserable clearing and chainsawing and hauling and repairing when you have no water and no electricity and sleeping at night is miserably hot. . . and the generator (if you have one) going BRRRRRRR right under your window where you are trying to sleep.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
@ChieTheRider, Glad to hear everyone is OK there and you now have power - that's a major development. Sorry to hear about the damage; I don't envy anyone the cleanup that will need to be done. From what I've heard, people are banding together to help each other out in the clean up. Hoping it is the same for your area. Still keeping you in my thoughts/prayers ... so much still going on in your neck of the woods.

161 - 180 of 207 Posts