The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, again! This time around, I have another concern for you guys. My mare tends to put her ears back as soon as I go into her stall and catch her. Her ears are always back when I’m with her. Her ears are back while riding, too! I have no idea what this means, because I am a first time owner. Please help!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
They're in a neutral position, either listening to you or something behind, or concentrating on what she's doing. Her neck and head appears relaxed. They're not pinned flat to her head. Ears need to be read with the rest of the body - pinned ears, swishing tail, tense body and pulling faces would be annoyed.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Ears move as the sounds from other places need to be zeroed in on...
The picture is one of the horse listening for sounds you not even realize you make...
Your breathing, the rustle of your clothing which can move/sound differently when tense versus relaxed.
Along with peripheral sounds you not know of but the horse is...
Horses are focused on their entire area where we narrow our attention...
Your horse is still a flight or fight animal and their being aware of their surroundings is what keeps them safe as well as you...
They know where you are at all times...

As long as the ears not disappear flat to the skull...I'm not seeing a threat aimed at you in intent.
🐴...

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Just looks like she has her listening ears on to me. She looks relaxed. She’s also very pretty from what I can see. Have fun with her, looks like a nice calm gal.

Reactions: Cliodona

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I agree those are listening ears - Just pretend its her version of looking at you waiting for direction. Very cute! Once you get true pinning ears and the ugly eyeball it's unmistakable. It's a bit like how some ppl say that when a snake makes an "S" shape its gonna strike.. they are noodles. They always make S shapes doesn't mean they gonna bite!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Th
I agree those are listening ears - Just pretend its her version of looking at you waiting for direction. Very cute! Once you get true pinning ears and the ugly eyeball it's unmistakable. It's a bit like how some ppl say that when a snake makes an "S" shape its gonna strike.. they are noodles. They always make S shapes doesn't mean they gonna bite!
Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These ears worry me a lot less than when they're pricked straight forward and not flicking back at me at all! These ears look pretty relaxed. Whereas the hyperfocused forward ears are often a clue that a spook is about to happen!
Thank you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Th
Ears move as the sounds from other places need to be zeroed in on...
The picture is one of the horse listening for sounds you not even realize you make...
Your breathing, the rustle of your clothing which can move/sound differently when tense versus relaxed.
Along with peripheral sounds you not know of but the horse is...
Horses are focused on their entire area where we narrow our attention...
Your horse is still a flight or fight animal and their being aware of their surroundings is what keeps them safe as well as you...
They know where you are at all times...

As long as the ears not disappear flat to the skull...I'm not seeing a threat aimed at you in intent.
🐴...
Thanks!

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
that said, if she puts her ears back as soon as you enter the stall or try to catch her, to me that means she is feeling irritated about what it means when you come; she will have to work, or whatever 'bad' thing she does not fancy doing.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
As far as her doing it when you approach her, just try to do different things with her. Maybe she feels as though when you go to see her, you're just putting a saddle on her. Maybe try doing some liberty work with her or try other things.

However, in the photo you posted, she's definitely just listening to you. Which is awesome. :D My mare does this as well, because I talk to her while I ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that said, if she puts her ears back as soon as you enter the stall or try to catch her, to me that means she is feeling irritated about what it means when you come; she will have to work, or whatever 'bad' thing she does not fancy doing.
I see. She just puts her ears back, and doesn't pin them. Just always back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as her doing it when you approach her, just try to do different things with her. Maybe she feels as though when you go to see her, you're just putting a saddle on her. Maybe try doing some liberty work with her or try other things.

However, in the photo you posted, she's definitely just listening to you. Which is awesome. :D My mare does this as well, because I talk to her while I ride.
Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts