The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 8 year old paint horse has been coming out stiff, only a little bit and he always walks out of it, sometimes it's so slight I can't even call it stiffness.
But recently it's started clicking, I know it's not arthritis, because I haven't had him that long and he's been checked for that, it's not tendonitis, and he's not lame. (those things I know for SURE)
I'm just wondering what could be some possibilities as to what's causing it?
He's not limping, not acting sore, not favoring it. (When I bought him he did have a blown out abscess on his hoof of the same leg he seems stiff on, but that is all grown out now)
He get's hoof coat and joint combo pellets, as well as corta-flex every single day because he is a performance horse.
He's also not worked very hard more than once or twice a week, or horse show weekends.
Any ideas?
Oh, and here's a picture of him just for kicks, cause he's a cutie

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
It could be locking stifle. My mare has this issue and her patella locks sometimes, making her unable to bend her leg (she will drag it behind her then it will suddenly bend. It goes away with work). the best thing is to work them at a walk up hills to strengthen the muscles that move the stifle.
Locking stifles UFP

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be locking stifle. My mare has this issue and her patella locks sometimes, making her unable to bend her leg (she will drag it behind her then it will suddenly bend. It goes away with work). the best thing is to work them at a walk up hills to strengthen the muscles that move the stifle.
Locking stifles UFP
Thank you so much, I will read that article. Does it cause your mare any problems that could interfere with her comfort and/or performance? Or is it just kind of there?
Edit: When I looked at the article, that seems a bit more extreme than what's going on with Stitch, but I will keep it in mind when the vet is out next.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
She only has an issue with it when it get really cold, she has been sitting too long, or she had a domestic dispute and kicks something. I just take her out and make her trot. Within 5 min she is normal.
This is what she would do, but it stopped the more I walked her.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She only has an issue with it when it get really cold, she has been sitting too long, or she had a domestic dispute and kicks something. I just take her out and make her trot. Within 5 min she is normal.
This is what she would do, but it stopped the more I walked her.
Stifle lock? - YouTube
Hmm.. Stitch doesn't drag his toe like that. Just walks kind of stiff.
But similar to your mare, he walks out of it.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
the vid was it completely locking. My mare's MIGHT lock that bad if i dont walk her the first day it happens. but it gets stiff, clicks and sometimes "pops" when she walks until she walks it out. If working him a little dose not seam to help call the vet. (I try to solve an issue before I call a vet because of $ but sometimes if things dont get better you have to bite the bullet).

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the vid was it completely locking. My mare's MIGHT lock that bad if i dont walk her the first day it happens. but it gets stiff, clicks and sometimes "pops" when she walks until she walks it out. If working him a little dose not seam to help call the vet. (I try to solve an issue before I call a vet because of $ but sometimes if things dont get better you have to bite the bullet).
He has never been that bad, but he does click and pop. That could be it, thank you so much for responding! I'm interesting to see what other people have to say. So far working him helps, so that's good. Thank you!

Reactions: KigerQueen

·
Registered
151 Posts
We have a horse with the same "problem", if you can call it that. It doesn't seem to bother her, apparently related to an old injury.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a horse with the same "problem", if you can call it that. It doesn't seem to bother her, apparently related to an old injury.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmm, okay. That could be it too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I've seen several horses that pop as they walk. It seems to come from their back legs. Doesn't seem to bother them. It could be their tendons popping like when we cracked our knuckles.

Just watch for if he gets worse or it doesn't go away. Then you could have a vet check him out.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.