Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! :)

I have applied for a position on Oahu. Everybody pray and cross your fingers!
That said, if I miraculously accept the position, I will be relocating my two Thoroughbreds to Oahu with me.
Those who own on the island, please throw your advice at me! I currently live in Kentucky, and I know there are some big differences.
What I am really most in need of is advice on how to transport my horses safely there. Plane? Boat?
TIA!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I hope you get the job! I love Hawaii, though I only get to go there from time to time, and not for long.

I can't help with the transport issue. Hopefully others will chime in on that. I do know that there is a cowboy tradition there, mostly on Maui, I believe. In the local language, they are called paniolos. There is also a polo field somewhere in Hawaii that has been frequented by Prince Charles from time to time. You should be able to find boarding and suitable activities for your horse needs.

Do let us know how it works out. Sounds like a wonderful adventure.

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
I've been to Oahu a couple of times. There are a few ranches /boarding area, but not as much as other islands. Oahu is more developed than the other islands, but there is one area, (can't remember the name) on the SE side of the island where there are horses. It is somewhat near the ranch where they do movies. Again, I'm not being at all helpful. I think I'll just leave this now and let truly knowledgeable folks chime in.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hi xJumperx

I don't know how the arrangements are made, but if cost wasn't an issue, I would fly my critters. Less time confined to a stall.

You do Kindle/eReader? There is a book, "The Hawaiian Archipelago", that you might enjoy, written by an English lady named Isabella Bird, who traveled widely in the world of the latter part of the 19th century. Horses were a huge part of the Hawaiian culture at the time of her visit, and she traveled a large portion of the islands on horseback. A good read, and free for Kindle, and most any eReader. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6750

Best of luck with the move. Steve

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much! I've been to Oahu and seen the polo fields you mentioned and the adjacent boarding ranches! I will have to pick @ManicDaisy 's mind! :) Thank you all so much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.