The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I am new to the forum and new to owning horses. We recently bought 2 horses from an auction that we have been evaluated by a vet and found to be healthy. They are both roughly the same age (10 years old). They are both geldings.

Our two horses did not come from the same farm but seem to get along well, they run with each other across fields and seem to get upset when separated.

Recently, we started to notice that one (named Thunder) is getting regular wounds and some bite marks on him. We are watching the pasture closely since this happened. The only actions we witness is what looks like Thunder trying to bull, bite and agitate Lightning (our other horse who has no wounds). Thunder does not seem scared or intimidated by Lightning - I would think if Lightning was hurting Thunder with these wounds - that Thunder would avoid him.

Looking for advise on how to handle this. Do I let them work this out between the two and just take care of the wounds as they happen? I feel lost as i hate to see Thunder with these marks.

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
Unless they are serious - both the wounds and the actions I'd let it be. If you really feel you must do something about wounds then a spray with something like vetricen or topical antibiotic cream will suffice. Horses have an incredible capacity to heal when the minor stuff is just left alone.

We've run stallion/mare herds for over 20 years with nothing major until someone locked two of the stallions in a very small pen and ran those two mare herds into a field they could not be seen. One almost lost an ear and the other just about had his throat ripped out. Once they were all put back together in the large pasture life went back to being peaceful.

·
Premium Member
24,113 Posts
H & welcome Allison.

Yeah, sounds like Thunder is instigating 'dominance games'... and losing! Agree with above that this is just horseplay & fine. If he was getting seriously hurt, he'd stop playing the game.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts