The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well, I was planning on going to the barn at around 9 to turn my horse out for the day until 4-5 roughly.. But it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Will the rain hurt him? I don't want him getting sick or anything.

Any tips? Thanks! :wink:

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Naw it wont hurt him, escpecially if its not windy... if its windy and cold rain out i would put a simple rainsheet on him. haha but i promise he wont melt :p well.... unless your hrose is suger... which could explain your username.... lol

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it's supposed to be seven degrees Celsius here, so it's not going to be cold at all . :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Does your horse have access to shelter from the rain such as a run-in shed if they want? Access to hay?

Horses will actually get colder in plus temps w rain and wind then they are in -20!

Your horse should be fine w no blanket as long as they have access to forage, and shelter. Also he/she must be in good health to start with....meaning good weight, and adequate coat for the elements.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does your horse have access to shelter from the rain such as a run-in shed if they want? Access to hay?

Horses will actually get colder in plus temps w rain and wind then they are in -20!

Your horse should be fine w no blanket as long as they have access to forage, and shelter. Also he/she must be in good health to start with....meaning good weight, and adequate coat for the elements.
It isn't supposed to be windy. He will have access to lots of hay and a shelter, and he is in good health plus he has a good winter coat.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yeah, he/she should be fine out in the rain.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
It won't melt :]

All mine are out 24/7 no matter the weather and they are all fat, happy and shiny. Horses did just fine before stalls were invented :]

·
Registered
199 Posts
If a horse doesn't get out and are blanketed all the time, they don't get their winter coat that god gave them. God made them to be outside in the rain, wind, hail, sleet, cold, and, heat, we have made them into the sissies that can't handle the weather.
If they have something that they can get next to that will block the wind and they have endless supply of hay to keep them warm, they will be fine.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My horses are also out 24/7 w/ shelter and no coat. All my guys get soaked when it rains, because they dont really care. Most of the time the water beads off and doesnt even reach their skin. The only actually go into the shelter when they get hay there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It won't melt :]

All mine are out 24/7 no matter the weather and they are all fat, happy and shiny. Horses did just fine before stalls were invented :]
Yes, yes they did...for the most part....the ones that couldn't handle the elements anymore got sick and/or died :?

That is why it is important to ensure the hose has proper weight, coat, and is in over-all good health before saying that the horse is fine w/out a blanket, as not all are.

I agree, no blankets is best if the horse is used to it, and can handle the weather w/out one...I don't blanket unless I HAVE too. But there is always some horses that just don't do well in certain types of weather w/out one.

But like I said from the sounds of it, this horse should be fine.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I actually didn't mention that ALL horses would be fine just chucked out in the rain - I blanket mine through winter. However, NO horse is going to get sick or die just because a bit of rain hits them. It is a combination of factors - Rain, wind chill, temp, shelter/no shelter, health, condition, pre-existing issues, etc.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I actually didn't mention that ALL horses would be fine just chucked out in the rain - I blanket mine through winter. However, NO horse is going to get sick or die just because a bit of rain hits them. It is a combination of factors - Rain, wind chill, temp, shelter/no shelter, health, condition, pre-existing issues, etc.
Well of course not:D.....and never said they would? You made a generalized statement that horses did fine w/out stalls...but I was merely pointing out that only the strong survived in the wild....:wink:
If the horse is out once or twice in the rain unprotected w/out shelter hay etc...of course it wouldn't get sick or die instantaneously...but if on a consistent basis w/out the basic needs listed above...yes it could get sick....

If you reread my post, youl understand what I was trying to say. You answered it as well...the horse MUST have shelter, and be in good health to be kept out in inclement weather w/out blankets...or yes it can get sick and yes it could inevetably die...pnuemonia can set in quickly w horses (as w humans dogs and the like).

So again as long as the horse has access to shelter, forage, and is in good health...yes they should be fine w/out a blanket....but if these things are not provided...then yes they could get sick if not given proper protection from the rain.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
the horse MUST have shelter
Nope, just to be argumentative :] Mine have no man made shelter, and the 100+ horses in the government agistment paddocks next door don't either. They do however have paddocks with natural hollows and higher ground - They can seek protection from the elements to a degree from their environment. Man-made shelter is not a necessity - Most horses who have free access to one don't even use it in horrible weather.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Shelter is shelter whether its man made or natural.

100 plus horses will shelter each other from the wind/rain snow etc. One or two horses would rely more so on shelter from trees, valleys etc....or yes a man made shed perhaps

Also It depends on the area of the country you live in. Im from Canada...we get temps in the -40 w strong winds. Some horses would seek shelter in tht type of weather, others may not....but they do need to have access to shelter to ensure that if/when their body just cant handle the type of weather being presented, they can seek it out. This could be trees, could be each other.

I also have found my horses seek out their shleter more so in rain and cooler temps like we get in October then they do in -40. So its all relative really.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
^ Ok, agreed, just thought you meant a shed/man made by shelter, which they don't, but shelter of some kind, yep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.