The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse is a blue roan sabino/blue blagdon and he has brown just below his knee on his near fore and the whole part of his leg below the knee is brown. I’m just really curious about this as I’ve never seen it on a horse before and google isn’t coming up with anything. Had him for over a year now and it’s stayed the same throughout all seasons. He has feathers on his fetlocks as he’s a cob x and at the end of his feathers the brown is lighter.
Sky Cloud Ecoregion Plant Horse

Grass Working animal Wood Liver Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Is it tender at all? My blue/bay roan has an area of brown on one of her back legs, and in her case it seems to be related to an old injury.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is just part of the roaning. Faded black ? urine stains.
Never heard of anything like that being part of roaning? But I’m open to learning if that can happen. Won’t be urine stains as I’ve given him multiple baths and it’s stayed the same. Could be faded black but I’ve never heard of that happening just in one spot and also I’ve only ever seen black bleached by the sun in the summer, and my horse’s leg stayed brown throughout the winter.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I've seen it first hand on a couple of horses, a similar blagdon cob and sabino-like clydesdale. It's just him and his pattern. Reverse markings but, don't ask me about the genetics! You also see badger-faced horses with large occlusion marks instead of a stripe/blaze; I'm not sure if it's the same genes at play. You can see the colouring in the dark sock in the rest of the coat and I'd guess that if he didn't have white socks, all his legs would be that colour.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen it first hand on a couple of horses, a similar blagdon cob and sabino-like clydesdale. It's just him and his pattern. Reverse markings but, don't ask me about the genetics! You also see badger-faced horses with large occlusion marks instead of a stripe/blaze; I'm not sure if it's the same genes at play. You can see the colouring in the dark sock in the rest of the coat and I'd guess that if he didn't have white socks, all his legs would be that colour.
That’s probably it, thanks. Didn’t know that could happen with sabino!

·
Super Moderator
15,959 Posts
One of my dark bays was like this when when got her. It was a mineral imbalance. Now that she's been on a mineral supplement and good grass as well as extra to get her up to weight she is jet black where she should be and only body fades which I attribute to the nd1 she carries.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Never heard of anything like that being part of roaning? But I’m open to learning if that can happen. Won’t be urine stains as I’ve given him multiple baths and it’s stayed the same. Could be faded black but I’ve never heard of that happening just in one spot and also I’ve only ever seen black bleached by the sun in the summer, and my horse’s leg stayed brown throughout the winter.
I live in a very hot very sunny area, and many black horses will sun bleach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts