The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING: TONS OF PICTURES. =D

First, I worked with Gracie on our new lunging skills. I took her out on Wednesday and taught her how in about five minutes, had a little more difficulty tracking right [she's a total lefty], but managed a walk and trot both ways. I was very impressed when I started using vocal commands [walk, trot, and woah] and she responded. I thought I would have to teach her those, but apparently not. Maybe she watches Ricci? =P So I went two days without touching her, and pulled her out today. She lunged like she's been doing it for years. Perfect transitions both to the left and the right. She wasn't coming in on me or pulling to get to the end of the rope, just kept to her circle. I was so proud! We've only done it for a total of 15 minutes and I can already keep her going easily enough that I could take pictures!

Trot.

Walking.

I got some pictures of her standing and waiting on the lunge line, but I took the pictures with my phone and it says the images are too large to send. How disappointing.

So then I rode Ricci, got a decent picture of her pretty head before our ride, then took pictures of my two girls cuddling. After that I tied Ricci to my truck to let her graze and snapped a million pictures while the two other ponies looked pitifully at the "better" grass on the other side. =]

So here's Ricci's pretty head.

Some cuddles. =]

Gracie being naughty and trying to chew on Ricci's halter.

Ricci: The never-ending yawner, lol. She thinks she worked hard. =]

More pictures in the next post. =]

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's Ricci enjoying the grass on the outside of the pasture. =] [And my pretty truck.]

Showing off her trace clip and "R."

"Oh god! Something's over there!"

"Nevermind. False alarm."

She always has to get to the very end of her rope, lol.

And the jealous on-lookers. [The chestnut is my friend's mare, Maizy, who thinks the world is falling down around her when I take Ricci away.]

The end. =]

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
You have pretty horses! ^^

·
Registered
272 Posts
Awww, I loved it..

I like how you tied your horse the truck, haha.
I do the same with mine.
My trucks old and lifted up, so I can get to a tow hitch easy, lol ..

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Gracie is very cute. I love how long her mane and forelock are especially since she is a baby, how tall do you think she will mature to? Ricci's tail is gone?! Hehe, she is so white. My moms "white" mare is a pasture horse so she is more yellow now than white... *sigh* nice to see a ****** actually white...

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
They are so cute!! Why is Riccis tail cut off?

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gracie is probably going to be a borderline pony. My bet is 14.1. Dad is 14hh, mom is 14.3, lol.

Ricci's tail... oh boy. She got the black part caught on something and yanked it out about two years ago, so I cut the white part so it didn't look so goofy. We are ever so slowly growing it back. I think it's taking so long because she damaged the end of her tail pretty bad when she ripped it out, and because the black tail hair is pretty wirey.

Ricci is 15.2. =]

·
Banned
593 Posts
how old is that horse thats being lunged ? it looks awfully young, too young for lunging to be honest. go into the training board and post for the reason why you shouldent be lunging a young horse.

theyre all gorgeous though.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
how old is that horse thats being lunged ? it looks awfully young, too young for lunging to be honest. go into the training board and post for the reason why you shouldent be lunging a young horse.

theyre all gorgeous though.
::sigh:: She's 17 months old, and you needn't be concerned. She can certainly handle a few minutes of lunging. And if you'll care to notice, there's only one picture of her trotting. We mostly walked and did walk/halt transitions. She works herself up more when I feed her. If I wanted a critique, I would have asked for one. Thank you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
your very brave i tied my horse like that to the round pen cuz my horse never freaks out like never and he walked over it and started to freak and he almost died =[ so after that ive been so scared to tie him oh yah beautiful horses u have [= and such a good baby :D

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Wow, then she is realllly Qh-y lol. Little bitty and solid colored, what lines is she??(Gracie that is) She is a QH right? Hope I am not mistaken.... lol

My mare Brandi had a problem just like that with her tail. It was white with a black part at the end of the tail bone and it was really wiry... It knotted up so bad overnight once that we had to cut all of it off and she had a little nib of tail sticking out of her tail for quite a long time....Got to where I would braid the white part over it so it didn't look so bad, though the little braid was still pitiful...lol

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Ricci's tail... oh boy. She got the black part caught on something and yanked it out about two years ago, so I cut the white part so it didn't look so goofy. We are ever so slowly growing it back. I think it's taking so long because she damaged the end of her tail pretty bad when she ripped it out, and because the black tail hair is pretty wirey.

Oh noo! Gotta love the horses that like to get into everything!!

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your very brave i tied my horse like that to the round pen cuz my horse never freaks out like never and he walked over it and started to freak and he almost died =[ so after that ive been so scared to tie him oh yah beautiful horses u have [= and such a good baby :D
I'm not at all worried about Ricci. We've spent a lot of time moving around and stepping on her lead ropes. I've tied her to all sorts of things and hid nearby to watch her. She'll get herself stuck and then just sit and wait for me to fix her. I did the same with Gracie, let her lead rope drag on the ground and chased her around a bit until she learned to wait for me to "save" her.

Wow, then she is realllly Qh-y lol. Little bitty and solid colored, what lines is she??(Gracie that is) She is a QH right? Hope I am not mistaken.... lol
Yes, she's a QH. Unfortunately, I have no idea what her lines are. She is registerable, and both her parent's are foundation bred, but unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to getting her paperwork filed. o_O She is very much a mix between her parents though. Dad's build and little head, and mom's coloring. I wish I had better pics of her parents, but the similarities are very obvious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts