The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can y'all tell me if the Horze brand blankets run large or small, and how much drop compared to say a Schneider or Smartpak turnout?
Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not sure on turn out but i used the fly sheets and think they ran pretty close to normal. Affordable and lasted the whole season

Reactions: COWCHICK77

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Can y'all tell me if the Horze brand blankets run large or small, and how much drop compared to say a Schneider or Smartpak turnout?
Thanks.
I bought a Horze brand turnout for Snow White last winter. Drop and all was pretty much the same as Schneider's and the blanket had some real nice 'upgrade' stuff. It was VERY narrow in the shoulders though. It would have been ok for a TB but for my barely 2 yo QH, it was way too narrow. She's 2 and wearing an 82 blanket. I ended up using the Horze blanket on someone less wide and bought her a Schneider's blanket. I liked the quality, the cut through the shoulders was the only downside I could find.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure on turn out but i used the fly sheets and think they ran pretty close to normal. Affordable and lasted the whole season
Good to know! I haven't got brave enough to try fly sheets as our fly season is short but it is brutal, especially when they chop corn..oye.

I bought a Horze brand turnout for Snow White last winter. Drop and all was pretty much the same as Schneider's and the blanket had some real nice 'upgrade' stuff. It was VERY narrow in the shoulders though. It would have been ok for a TB but for my barely 2 yo QH, it was way too narrow. She's 2 and wearing an 82 blanket. I ended up using the Horze blanket on someone less wide and bought her a Schneider's blanket. I liked the quality, the cut through the shoulders was the only downside I could find.
The narrow shoulder cut might be a concern, thanks for the heads up!
I thought I was getting a smoking deal on a blanket and even though it was a tad small I could get away with it if it had a more generous cut. The shoulders aren't going to work.

If anyone is needing a brand new 75" waterproof turnout, 200g fill, 1200D. I can message a link.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I just ordered the Horsz Avalanche after reading some surprisingly good reviews. Two of my mares usually wear a size 69” and that size was on close out, so I also got a deal. Should be here beginning of next week so I’ll post the result. Encouraged Dreamcatcher liked hers as I remember her being a big Schneider’s fan and if these hold up next to Schneider’s that’s a good thing!

·
Super Moderator
13,653 Posts
I have a Horze t/o sheet...
Interesting enough it is 1200 denier and so far my biter, sheet/blanket destroyer hasn't wrecked it yet and he is trying.
2 years now of using as needed, not every day but it is doing fine.

My sheet has removable completely belly straps elastic and was sent included non-stretch straps too.
Elastic leg straps same thing, come completely off and second set non-stretch included.
Chest is Velcro wide full length closure with buckle then snaps over that...I only now once adjusted undue those snaps and Velcro and the blanket is loose to remove. No more doing buckles every time.

Nylon lining and full drop sides that cover entire barrel of my large barreled horse.
My horse is in a 81" sheet cause in other brands he needs that size, this is generously cut and he could of worn a 78 being a tighter fit, no problem with a 80 either.
Thick fleece at the wither area for protection..
Full, long and built into the design tail flap for no blowing up protection when outdoors in inclement weather.
Shoulder gussets that are very generous and offer great movement and no restrictions that I've seen with my horse.
My sheet was $49.99 and also came in many colors...I chose maroon with black trim for my gray horse to wear.
:runninghorse2:

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
OOOOOPS, I lied! I knew I bought it through Amazon, so I went looking. It was a Hilason 1200D Belly Wrap 400 gram blanket. So sorry folks, I did not buy a Horze one. I remember looking at them, but bought the Hilason. And really, for the price I totally can't complain about it either. It's held up to some rambunctiousness out on pasture. Mind you, it didn't get worn a whole lot, I ordered it on Feb. 13 of this year, so off and on for about 2 months. Still, except for being narrow, I really liked it.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
I just ordered the Horsz Avalanche after reading some surprisingly good reviews. Two of my mares usually wear a size 69” and that size was on close out, so I also got a deal. Should be here beginning of next week so I’ll post the result. Encouraged Dreamcatcher liked hers as I remember her being a big Schneider’s fan and if these hold up next to Schneider’s that’s a good thing!
BTW, Schneider's was out of my size and not expecting it to get in until after I needed it. And poor little Snow White had been under lights and came up from south TX to OK when we had a FRIGID snap, so I had to have something. And of course, now ALL my horses wear 80+ size blankets so I had no spares.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of info, thanks ya'll!!

I think I'll try it since it is 1/3 of the price. If it doesn't work I bet I can sell locally.
I like that it has completely detachable leg straps, mine will rip them out if not. Found that out the hard way. And I usually buy sets of replacement straps.

Good to know about Hilason as well, thanks for clarifying @Dreamcatcher Arabians!

I think I need to sell some of my Schneider turnouts. I bought a lot of them on sale not realizing the different neck style openings. Some of mine just don't fit like they should on my horses.
Maybe I'll do a blanket fitting and clean out, sell the ones that dont work....

Reactions: carshon

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL! I keep saying I'm going to do that...especially with the smaller blankets since I'm not breeding as much as I used to. Aaaaaaaand I still have a BUNCH of blankets.
I know, I'm skeeered, what if I might need one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts