Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I am a veterinary student, and I am working closely with many vets to get the Hot Branding of Horses banned in Scotland. This is supported by the BVA and BEVA.

We have now got a petition in parliament, and need as many signatures as possible before 26th Feb. There is information about branding on the petition.

If you could sign it to show your support it would much appreciated.

Here is the link:
The Scottish Parliament e-Petitions: View/Sign Petition

And for those who have never seen branding, here is a link to a video of branding:

Thank you so much for your help,
Claire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well basically, hot branding is done in exmoor ponies for tradition as the brands can't actually be seen for most of the year and can be tampered with. Since microchipping has come into play (and now is a requirement by law for all foals to be microchipped) there is no longer a need for hot branding. Freeze branding is actually more painful that hot branding (hot branding damages the superficial layers of the skin, whereas freezebranding actually damaged the deeper tissue, hence why the hair comes in white)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
p.s. branding is already banned in Scotland, but there is exceptions for "free living" herds... but there are no free living herds of exmoors, so we want to get an outright ban on hot branding

sorry i am posting this quickly as I need to go examine a cow!! have a read of the information on the parliament website :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I suppose I never really thought about it. People normally don't brand over here, or get their horse micro-chipped. The only time I see a horse branded is if they were from across seas.

I guess it really doesn't bother me.. D; It probably should.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Why is it that people feel the need to force thier "morals" onto other people. The ponies are not hurt much by hot branding. It's very momentary and minor. It's not abuse. I think it is foolish to waste time making laws that are this stupid. I'm going to go brand a horse just to spite you. Maybe I'll brand two.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's unnecessary to do it when there is mircochipping?
Not hurt that much by a hot brand burning their skin? Can you not see the ponies struggling in the video and trying to get away from the brand? Whether or not it's momentary, it's a painful and frightening experience, that does not have to be done.
Why must people be tolerant of everything? If people did't impose their "morals" on anything, ever, then what in God's name would the world be like? If people sat back and said "well that's how they do it, I wont get involved", then there would still be slavery, there would still be nazis persecuting jews. Or maybe it's becaues it's an animal, then it doesn't matter is it?
I fully support it being banned, because I don't think that either a human or an animal should suffer unnecessary pain, whether it's "monentary and minor" or not

·
Registered
879 Posts
The pony struggled when she microchipped it as well. Not arguing, just pointing out. Branding is easier to track than microchipping because it's a visual aid which does make it harder to steal the horse and sell it on because you can have the police and people at fairs and sales looking for the right brand or freezemark, it's a lot quicker than scanning every horse that might be the one you're looking for.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
It is much easier to cut out a microchip than it is to alter a brand. Anyone with eyes can read a brand but you need special equipment to read a microchip. There is a big difference between exterminating a race of PEOPLE and branding a horse that will forget about it in 10 minutes. Comparing branding to the holocaust is terribly offensive and insulting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Microchips also have a tendency to migrate making them hard to find.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm not comparing branding to the holocaust. I'm talking about people's tolerance of things. It was an example, NOT a comparison. You said "Why is it that people feel the need to force thier "morals" onto other people". And I was simply explainging why it's often the case where we should show objection, and not just be lovely and tolerant.
Brands can be altered quite easily, all you have to do is place another brand over it or cut about at the horse's skin. Just becuase branding is more efficient, does not mean it's better for the horse.

From Horse and Hound
"In terms of pain and local inflammation, hot branding proved to be more painful and caused greater prolonged sensitivity in the skin than microchipping.

There was more swelling and more evidence of skin damage in branding than in microchipping, which is not surprising and has led the authors to call for branding to be abandoned wherever possible."

EDIT: I'm also adding that microchipping is more common in the UK than in America. So maybe it makes less sense over in America to microchip. But the OP wants to get branding banned in Scotland, and seen as microchipping is compulsory for every foal nowadays, there is no doubt that there is plenty technology to identify horses over there and no point in the continuation of branding. Also the OP is a vet, so I'm pretty sure she knows what she's doing

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Maybe people just want to continue the old traditions instead of doing everything technological. :-o
And it just so happens that she found one video where the horse was freaking out, if you go to youtube and look at branding videos you can also find ones like this

I also do my job shadows with a large animal veterinarian. Not once has he ever complained about branding.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Like mentioned above, microchips can be removed. Brands are easy to identify. Similar to what they do to cattle to identify them.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
We have a cow pony at my barn who has a brand. We haven't been able to read it, but we know she's done cow work and barrels before. I would associate branding with lip tattoing....my TB has one, imagine how painful that was but no one complains about that. I agree with kevinshorses, microchips have the tendancy to migrate, and hot brands, however painful, are easier to see and identify. Someone who thinks they can steal a horse with a brand on their butt is pretty stupid, but anyone could walk off with a horse thats been microchipped.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've seen several horses branded. It's not that dramatical. Just like cows they get over it very quickly. I'm not so sure on how easy it is to mess with the brands.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
It's not abuse. I think it is foolish to waste time making laws that are this stupid. I'm going to go brand a horse just to spite you. Maybe I'll brand two.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMG!! Kevin, you made me laugh so hard!!

Seriously, I've been around warmbloods all my life and have watched hundreds being hot branded. It is hardly noticed by most horses. They are bothered by the clipping much more. I had an iron hit me on the hand once, and I just felt COLD....until later.

Come on, save your petitions for more worthy causes than traditional brandings, which DO serve a purpose.

·
Registered
112 Posts
IMO it looked like the pony got upset when it saw the smoke from the brand after it had been held in place for awhile. He was only a little resistant until the smoke came up then he got real upset. He seemed just as bothered by the microchip placement. I'm sure its not comfortable and does cause some temporary pain, but I'm not sure that I am so against it to make a law?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.