The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Hmm, I know my friend's horse had rain rot. I think they had to get medication for it but I am not sure....

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Piper has it. It bites because I treat it and it comes right back. I was told it is contagious. My plan is to get her a water proof blanket and maybe a sleezy to keep all the rain off her. But you can use iodine or listerine to treat it. You have to scrape off all the scabs though.

·
Super Moderator
26,532 Posts
clean your brushes. Use an anti-fungal wash, you can get an antibacterial shampoo or an anti-fungal wash that you can treat it with. It will take about a week or two to get rid of it.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
MTG does work but Betadine smells better (LOL).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow!
Thanks everyone.
Hotrod's sire has it, and his siblings, lol ..

Their owner can't seem to get rid of it.
So, maybe you all just gave me the key to clear it!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Yep sure thing! Crud Busters is made just for fungal infections such as rain rot! It clears up rain rot AND scrathes in just a couple of days! GREAT STUFF!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll definetly look for that Crud Buster stuff..
The name is even very origional! Haha.

Thank everyone!
I've got alot to choose from :)

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Betadine scrub, shampoo, spray, will help clear it up, and may be cheaper than 'brand name treatments'...

Make sure you scrub the scabs and excess sloughing hair off daily, and then reapply the topical treatment.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My routine...
1.Wash all grooming supply's in, diluted bleach and water.
2.Scrub/curry comb, the infected areas as many times a day as possible with a Betadine/anti fungal solution.Let it soak in good before rinsing.

You should be able to find both at any feed store or Tractor Supply Co.It usually takes a few days to clear up.Don't worry about the hair falling out,it will grow back. (I know you didn't say that but..) One of my friends refused to treat her horse because she didn't want any hair missing.... Don't worry "I" took care of the horse while my friend sat and watched (rebelling).Some people....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
His hair is actually falling out.
In chunks kind of :-|

So, it's normal, and will grow back, ok, haha..
That eased my mind.
Thanks again everyone :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.