The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at a ranch bred Quarter Horse to buy and to turn into a ranch riding/ranch reining/ranch trail show horse. He is six years old and I know he is a little fat, but overall, how do you think his conformation is and how do you think he could perform overall in ranch classes? Here is a few pictures of him and a pictures of his papers.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
He has flaws, but a decent, attractive horse with a perfect shoulder. I like him, a lot actually.

·
Registered
49,446 Posts
To me, other than being a bit downhill, he has really good conformation, and I think that being downhill won't be a bad thing at all. He is much prettier than his brother, who has a bit of a 'jughead'.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Looks like left front hoof is clubbed, can't see his right. I don't like the front legs on either of them.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I like the bother better nicer topline and built level. Shoulder isn't as nice and head is a bit ugly. But I think if halter was adjusted better ,it would make a big difference.

First gelding has a down hill build will be an awful ride. Been on horse's built going down hill not what id want. He'll tend to be heavy on the forehand.

Prettier head nicer slope to shoulder. Being downhill He wont level out at 6 years old. Think his bother is the better one of the two ugly head won't effect performance. like I said adjust the halter better and head will look much nicer.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
Only having one side to go on, he looks OK to me too. Interesting that the second pic he doesn't look rump high, so maybe one of the pics were skewed somehow. Can't tell from that angle whether he has a 'broken forward' hoof/pastern angle in front just due to high heels or whether he's a teeny bit clubby. I don't like the look of the hind feet at all, but likewise, can't tell if that's 'conformational' or whether he's just been left with way long toes & heels are a bit too short/low. That the left hind is forward in both pics could be nothing, or it could be something, indicating 'upstairs probs' that may be conformational/unfixable damage, or may be easily overcome with some bodywork.

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
I like the second horse far better than the first one...
Here's why...on first horse..
His front leg stance has him leaning forward over his legs, look closely.
He looks to me to be a tad bit tied-in or behind at the knee.
His left front hoof is wonky looking in trim and just upright appearance.
He has a pretty high chest tie-in which could create issues down the road using himself correctly.
He looks very chest/front-end heavy to me.

His hind leg stance left is "poor" shown. Not seeing pictures from the other side is detrimental and only part of a picture glimpsed.
I see a sacroiliac joint a bit to far back weakening the back and lessening the hindquarters.
His face...profile is not much different than the second horse...
He is significantly butt high and that makes for some interesting saddle fit issues in a working horse.
He also to me has very high set hocks...yea, no.

Of the two horses...
I find the second horse has a better working build on him.
To me, a better neck/chest tie-in and neck length, cleaner throatlatch, better hind-leg placement, better front legs and legs appear more on the corners of the body supporting, the shoulder is ehh...hocks closer to the ground and better balanced but still straighter than optimum.
I see the same hind-end build and "weakness" in this horse as his brother.
He still has some questionable parts...all to the eye of the beholder preferences.
If it was me, second horse {maybe} or I would keep looking for a sale prospect.
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Overall, I prefer the first horse. He is a bit tied in in the knee, but he has a nice neck and shoulder. His back may be a bit soft, but his top line is smooth with a good wither that runs well into his back. His hip is difficult to see in the photos, but the coccilleum bone looks a little long. I don’t like his hind hooves.

Bill’s knees are not as tied tied in, but still are a little bit. I don’t like his front hooves at all. He has a straight, low set neck, straight shoulder, his wither dives straight into his back, and his back is a little long, without any of the grace of Cutter’s. His hip looks the same. I don’t care for his head.

I don’t see downhill on either horse, especially for a QH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.