The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Pony is out of commission for at least the next couple of weeks, I'll either be riding Moonshine (giving her extra exercise and letting me practice on a somewhat difficult horse) or Perfect Lesson Pony (PLP) (giving me the chance to work on actually riding rather than working out kinks with somewhat green horses).

I've always thought PLP had it sort of rough, as she is ridden a lot and not well taken care of. I mean, she has adequate food and water, and I assume vet care. But when I went to get her today, I noticed how flared her front feet were. And when I went to pick them out, I could see that the white line was really stretched out in both. Basically, if I'm going to keep riding PLP, even intermittently, I'd like to do something for her. I'd like to have my trimmer work on her. So I want to ask the barn owner if I can, but the barn owner can be a little sensitive and also superior (I anticipate a reaction of "If her hooves were flared, I would realize it. You don't have enough experience to know what is acceptable" or something like that).

So, anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to ask her to let my trimmer take a look at PLP's hooves? For sure barn owner is super cheap and hates to spend money on her horses, so that might be an angle to take.

I just want to do something for this excellent pony. She's the same one who basically taught me how to ride.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
I think that is a no win situation and bringing it up with BO will cause a lot of grief for you and no help for the lesson horse. But I probably wouldn’t want to keep taking lessons with her if she can’t treat her saintly lesson horses well.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, this is why I switched to riding only my own horses, even though they all have various issues under saddle and I have spent as much time learning to manage these issues as I have learning to actually ride. But with Pony out of commission, it's either PLP or Moonshine. And PLP is a wonderful pony to ride.

I think things like flared hooves can just creep up on people and they don't notice. Maybe. Plus I don't think her farrier is very good.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
Touchy subject....
Not sure how you would even bring up the subject of telling your BO who owns the pony that their farrier is not doing their job correctly in your opinion.
The pony is adequately fed and cared for, ridden by many who love to ride the dependable mount...and the BO is offering you to ride more while your horse is on stall rest....didn't hear a reference to you paying for such use while yours is laid up.
Yup, can see the BO getting very touchy.

How about instead of phrasing it that her choice of foot professional is bad you phrase it as...
I so appreciate allowing me to ride PLP while Pony is laid up...
Would you allow me help you with PLP foot care expense?
My farrier is due to come out soon and with your permission I would pay the bill and have his feet attended to by him.
Or... also offer to pay her farrier, not her...the farrier she uses to trim PLP as you said she doesn't do them as often as she should for whatever her reasons are in your opinion.
Flares can come from to long a hoof left, so where you see flares might be to long a hoof everywhere.
Bringing the hoof back to proper angle, length and reducing structural weakening needs done carefully.
It might also not be in the ponies best interest to have the "perfect" shaped hoof if he has a issue you are not aware of nor know cause of either...
Tread carefully unless you know everything about this animal as he may be trimmed a particular way so he not hurt and is sound...
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Yeah, this is why I switched to riding only my own horses, even though they all have various issues under saddle and I have spent as much time learning to manage these issues as I have learning to actually ride. But with Pony out of commission, it's either PLP or Moonshine. And PLP is a wonderful pony to ride.

I think things like flared hooves can just creep up on people and they don't notice. Maybe. Plus I don't think her farrier is very good.
You could say you feel so blessed to be able to ride PLP that you feel you should contribute in some way. Tell her with all the extra work, may need more farrier attention but you would be happy to take care of that so not to be a burden :grin:

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Leave it alone. There's no way you can bring this us that isn't going to cause friction between you and the BO. If you don't feel comfortable riding the horse with it's current level of care, just ride Moonshine and use some vague excuse that you'd prefer to work with your own horse.

Not your circus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts