The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved our quarter horse to his (our) new home about a year ago. After the move he lost weight. We have wormed him with usual wormers and have been told by other owners he is just getting old. He never looked like this before. His ribs are visible as well as hip bones. He gets plenty to eat and has a palomino that is in the paddock with him and she looks fine.

To make a long story shorter, the vet said he is infected with eimeria, so two weeks ago I gave him Zimectrin gold, and yesterday quest plus. I really don't know if any of these wormers are effective on eimeria though... Any recommendations? I'd like to have him healthy so we can ride. I am scared to ride him as poor as he looks.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
So......he said he's infected with Eimeria and walked off? Didn't he say something about Coccidiosis? Did he do a stool sample or multiples? Was the horse on a chicken ranch? Is he giving the horse any kind of antibiotic therapy at all? Does the horse have diarrhea or bloody stools?

De-worming is not going to fix this. It will run its course in several weeks, but re-infection could be a possibility? Not nearly enough info in your post for anyone here to say much more than, "Call the Vet".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.