The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents first told me I could get a horse if I was willing to pay for everything. I'm 15 and I do relize how expensive a horse is. I have a way to earn the money and everything. But now my parents are saying this is just a phase I'm going through and if I get a horse I won't take care of it. They say I don't realize how hard it will be. But I do! How can I show them that I'm willing to do anything? And I won't get tired of it and neglect the horse?
please help!!!!!:-|:-|

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here is how I got my horse. I got a job, I pay for his food, and his board, and the horse himself. I was 15 When I purchased him. And am 17 today.

It can be done. Delayed gratification. (The saving of money)
Then maintaining the job to pay for your lovely. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!:) I will definitely do this! The only part that really sucks is there are no barns or stables here :cry:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A small town outside of las Vegas. There use to be a stable but it closed down :-(
Everyone around here who owns a horse also has the land to keep it on

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe a farm? Or horse breeder or so thing of that sort just doing farm hand type jobs like mucking out stalls or cleaning up the property still shows a great deal of initiative on your part. I'm sure there will be somewhere around that could do with a extra pair of free hands!! Of all else fails a stock feed store or something along that lines ... When your volunteering there's a good chance people will happily take you up on your time :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I'll look around and see what I can find :)

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
My parents first told me I could get a horse if I was willing to pay for everything. I'm 15 and I do relize how expensive a horse is. I have a way to earn the money and everything.
Horses are a long term commitment. As a parent, I would be thinking about..

In 3 years when you're 18, are you going planning to go to college, live at home, move out, etc. ? What happens to the horse then? How are you going to pay for a horse if you're on your own (in addition to rent/food/car/insurance/etc) ?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If there are no barns around your area then where do you plan on housing said horse? Also, if you're 15 and don't have a DL yet, how far/ often will your parents have to drive you to see this horse all the time? You'll have to add in that gas money too.

Reactions: PrivatePilot

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like the idea of working at some type of barn, but if you can't just educate yourself on how much it costs, how to care for horses, about riding, and just anything about horses that you possibly can. Have you worked around horses a lot? Nothing can compare to the experience you can get from actually working with horses. Also educate yourself on what type of horse you want to buy for your size, riding level, etc.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Before you take the plunge, I will share my story of getting a horse that I said I would solely pay for.

I wanted to save a slaughter bound horse across our state, 3 hours away. I told my stepdad that I only needed him to pick her up, I would take care of the rest, all of the bills, etc. He did it for me. What I didn't expect, and should have, was a $100 vet bill, a $30 farrier bill, and a need for a chiropractor and dentist out. I had no money for the vet bill or farrier bill, and my mom payed it for me. The board was coming up, and I needed $150 and 2 days before I was at $130. I was stressed trying to come up with only $20, when weeks before that would be considered nothing to go out and spend. I kicked myself in the butt so hard when I realized how much it really was. You will have to budget yourself. Is it a farrier appt or a new shirt? Getting your nails done or a new bit? It is not easy.

I am in highschool, and 16. I've had my first horse since 9 years old. Up until now I never knew how much horses really are. Right now, I'm forcing myself to sell her so I can pay off my debts to my parents, and begin to budget for myself, for when the time comes I can pay for the other horse I have. If you are like me and have Advanced highschool classes, it will be hard to fit in a job. If you are in afterschool clubs like me, it will be harder.

I don't know if Endiku is on this thread yet, but you should hear about her schedule with school and caring for two horses.

Good luck,
Kylie

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My friends grandpa lives around the corner from me and said I could keep it there for free. About what will happen when I go to college well I figured I'd lease him out. The college I'm looking at isn't too far from home. My first year of college I plan to stay home and do online college. My older sister did this and it worked well for her.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before you take the plunge, I will share my story of getting a horse that I said I would solely pay for.

I wanted to save a slaughter bound horse across our state, 3 hours away. I told my stepdad that I only needed him to pick her up, I would take care of the rest, all of the bills, etc. He did it for me. What I didn't expect, and should have, was a $100 vet bill, a $30 farrier bill, and a need for a chiropractor and dentist out. I had no money for the vet bill or farrier bill, and my mom payed it for me. The board was coming up, and I needed $150 and 2 days before I was at $130. I was stressed trying to come up with only $20, when weeks before that would be considered nothing to go out and spend. I kicked myself in the butt so hard when I realized how much it really was. You will have to budget yourself. Is it a farrier appt or a new shirt? Getting your nails done or a new bit? It is not easy.

I am in highschool, and 16. I've had my first horse since 9 years old. Up until now I never knew how much horses really are. Right now, I'm forcing myself to sell her so I can pay off my debts to my parents, and begin to budget for myself, for when the time comes I can pay for the other horse I have. If you are like me and have Advanced highschool classes, it will be hard to fit in a job. If you are in afterschool clubs like me, it will be harder.

I don't know if Endiku is on this thread yet, but you should hear about her schedule with school and caring for two horses.

Good luck,
Kylie
Thanks :) I'll take that in to consideration. My life is super borning though and all my classes are basic and nothing is hard.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the idea of working at some type of barn, but if you can't just educate yourself on how much it costs, how to care for horses, about riding, and just anything about horses that you possibly can. Have you worked around horses a lot? Nothing can compare to the experience you can get from actually working with horses. Also educate yourself on what type of horse you want to buy for your size, riding level, etc.
That's a really good idea!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
My friends grandpa lives around the corner from me and said I could keep it there for free. About what will happen when I go to college well I figured I'd lease him out. The college I'm looking at isn't too far from home. My first year of college I plan to stay home and do online college. My older sister did this and it worked well for her.

Free is relative. There will have to be water, unless there is pond? And you would need to pay for that, and if not much pasture, there will have to be hay bought. And you will have to pay for that.

It is not so much the land a horse sets its hooves on as the costs of keeping horse on those hooves.

Vet, farrier, de-wormer. Fencing, boards and what have you.

How much pasture is there? What type of grazing is there?

Where is the closest equine vet?

In searching for stables near you...I found 10 and that is just the ones that are easy to find....as breed/discipline specific ones may not show up in a random search for stables.

Stables in Las Vegas NV - Bing

And is there anyone near you with horses? They might be willing to let you do work to gain experience.

And good luck with free leasing horse while you are in college. Ads are full of those. And forums are full of free leases gone wrong too. Horse disappears, dies, is ruined.

5 years of good training can be ruined in 5 seconds with an inexperienced, cruel rider.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The cost thing is a great point.
I'm 23 have my own quiet successful business and and still sometimes find my self scraping through with costs.
Can totally relate to what was said about choosing between something for yourself or something for your horse (I always pick the horse haha)! Meaning i defiantly am not up with fashions!!!
Perhaps if there are some people on the thread who live around your area (I'm in Australia) could give you a round about figure on what you would have to spend a fortnight or month with feed farrier vet supplies etc so then you could say "yep I can make that"... Or" no way I'm getting near that "(depending on your income).
Best to be organised I think and very very sure you got it covered... Figures are always good :) 😋
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: horsedream568

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just wondering if you have actually been around horses much before. can you ride? Have you fed and handled horses before. As a newbie believe me when I say it is a lot different to what you expect.
My daughter who is 13 has wanted and asked for a horse since she could speak, I finally agreed, because I love them also. It was lucky that I do, because within a mere 4 weeks she lost interest in feeding Him twice a day, brushing him,cleaning up poop and was too scared to lead him on her own. Just 4 weeks!
My suggestion is to look for a free lease first and see how you go with that, that way you can always return him, if it doesn't work out.
P.s it's also a lot easier if you have parents or friends who are actually interested in horses as well, otherwise I feel the novelty will soon wear off if you have no support.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Just wondering if you have actually been around horses much before. can you ride? Have you fed and handled horses before.
That was my question to. If you haven't been around horses, gained enough experience to be safe, and actually know how to ride, jumping straight into ownership is the wrong wrong wrong way to get started.

Do you ride? For how long have you taken lessons under experienced tutelage? What's your riding level?

My suggestion is to look for a free lease first and see how you go with that, that way you can always return him, if it doesn't work out.
A big x2. We could afford our own horses if we really wanted to, but choose to lease instead for a variety of reasons at this point. My daughter understands, and honestly, since we don't live near where we ride and can't house horses where we DO live, it's a great compromise.

And I hate to have to pooh-pooh all over these sorts of threads along with everyone else, but sorry...at 15 and with what seems to be limited experience with or around horses, you simply don't understand the costs and responsibilities. I agree with others - go volunteer (and take lessons, if you're not an experienced horse person already) at a working horse farm for 6 months and gain experience first.

If your parents are not horse people either, they also have no idea the responsibilities and associated costs, either. Their only perception of horses is likely "Expensive". They're right. Don't blame them for that. ;)

Lastly, go read this thread:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/convince-my-parents-buy-me-horse-302161/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.