The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be completely honest I do get a little to frustrated with my horse as my horse does have some bad habits and manners based of him not completely respecting of what I am asking him to do. It is difficult to stay patient when all the hard work I have done so far for the past few months was for nothing because my horse improved a lot but everything I taught him have suddenly disappeared and he learned bad habits that were never there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe try some more groundwork, my horse is kinda showing the same thing. Maybe it will work? Not sure.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
If a horse doesn't obey, it isn't exactly disrespect. If he has picked up bad habits, it suggests your training was unhelpful training. But...what does your horse do and what was the sequence of events that led to it? Without a LOT more details, no one can give you much help.

·
Banned
I have three horses! Dallas, Dancer,and Thunder (the pony)
23 Posts
I am pretty sure that he just doesn't respect you. I know the feeling of losing your patience with a horse, I recommend you do LOTS of groundwork also I feel like lots of people forget or just don't feel like it but I think you should spend around 30 minutes just petting and talking to him. I am guilty of always wanting to just jump on and ride but take the time to talk to him and hang out with him. Also always have treats handy I will give my horse a carrot before working with him and if he does good I will give him a treat after. Also always end on a good note. Horses take lots of time to get them to a good spot but I say don't stop working with him ☺ Wish you luck!

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Patience. And if there are specific things you want to work on that are a struggle for him, consider just taking lessons on another horse. Time with him will have to be spent dealing with his issues. If you really want to work on yourself, you may need to do it on a horse that doesn't need constant work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It may be that you didn't get enough groundwork in and he's the type to test you every chance he gets. And he could just not be the horse for you. I leased a horse one that we just didn't get along, it didn't matter how much ground work I did, he just didn't want to work with me or listen to me.

·
Registered
50,804 Posts
Groundwork (whatever you feel comes under that category) in greater quantities is not a panacea for everything.
Usually if 'groundwork' needs constant repeating, then it wasn't done right to begin with. If you include leading manners in groundwork, then yes, it should be repeated when necessary, as a sort of 'check up'. But if you find you are having to do this a lot, it means you aren't doing it right. you aren't getting any kind of real change in the horse, but are stopping before you get real results.

'more' groundwork, poorly done, will be no better than less of it. In fact , it will deaden the horse and create resentment and resistance in the horse, and frustration in the rider.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had this same issue with the last horse I leased. Some days she was great and some days she just didn’t want to listen (mares🙃). On days where I was getting increasingly frustrated while riding her, I would work on something super simple, like circles or just having a nice even trot and just end the ride there. I always try to end the ride on a positive note even if it’s over the simplest exercise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts