The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing up we always had a mixed herd and everywhere i have been since had a mixed herd. And i have never witnessed a gelding mount a mare. I used to keep my mare with another mare and a gelded retired stud and never saw that behavior. So i haven't ever really given it any thought. I currently have a middle aged? gelding that was gelded 3 years ago and a long yearling filly together. I haven't seen any mounting, he used to try herding her away from me when she was younger. I think he's finally given that up, she's very much a catch the people in the pasture type and she's bigger than him now. And i think he likes people a little better now too.

Anyways so it seems the mare that i may be getting soon is in heat and one of the geldings in their mixed pasture mounted her. The gelding is reportedly acting like an idiot and has been separated for now. I am aware of that happening once over the summer with the same mare a different gelding. Also the mare and current gelding have been in the same pasture together for like 9 months and this is the first time between the 2 of them.

Should i be worried about my gelding mounting my filly? Or if i haven't seen that behavior myself, I'm probably fine? I feel like there is a possibility of him mounting this future mare. I know for the one that happened over the summer she was being a hussy, but i am not sure of the one today. How big of a deal is it? The filly i have, I *MIGHT breed in the future if she shows well, but that is long down the line. This mare i wouldn't have any intention of breeding. Mostly just wanting something for my boyfriend to ride and hes been riding her in lessons.

·
Banned
904 Posts
My gelding occasionally do it. Your horse isn’t stag is he? I don’t have an explanation of why they’d be doing it but I’ve noted my horse that was gelded older than the other does it more. I know my steers often mount my heifers

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
My old guy was gelded before he was 6 months old and during his 29 years he had 2 girlfriends he would mount. Didn't do him much good because he couldn't sustain his excitement long enough if you catch my drift. These were mares that he wasn't normally pastured with but sometimes I'd borrow my sister's mare (girlfriend #1) and then later on a friend who would come and spend weekends and bring her mare (girlfriend #2). He never was enamored with a mare he actually lived with and lived with plenty over the years nor any of the other numerous mares we rode with. Leaving out my current 2 geldings who were breeding stallions once upon a time the other 4 have never mounted a mare except for maybe rearing up on their dams when they were foals. All live in mixed herds.

After our paint stallion was gelded and given 6 months for the sperm to die off (wasn't taking any chances) he was turned back out with a mare he had previously bred before and his dam. He has never mounted his dam, not even when he was still a stallion and gates got left open (not by me!), and did mount the mare her first heat cycle once they were turned out and after that never tried again. Our mini stallion was turned out with his mare and their daughter and he never mounted either one after he was gelded.

So my answer to your question is it happens but not all that often from my experience. Who knows what those 2 mares my old guy took a shine to had going for them but they had something going for them no other mares he met or lived with ever had. LOL

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
...The gelding is reportedly acting like an idiot and has been separated for now. I am aware of that happening once over the summer with the same mare a different gelding. Also the mare and current gelding have been in the same pasture together for like 9 months and this is the first time between the 2 of them...
Not to sidetrack, but I'll just mention that these things are natural behaviors, so I am not sure why a person would call horse behaviors "acting like an idiot."
One reason many geldings don't do it is because most mares won't allow it. So it is not fair to blame a gelding when the mare has to allow it to happen.

It is a fairly rare behavior. I've been around a lot of mixed herds but only seen it happening a couple of times over the years. The only time it is a problem is if the mare has some physical issue such as a back problem, or if it happens so often that the mare gets an infection. Other than that it is a behavior like geldings rearing and play fighting, horses chasing one another off hay piles, or mutual grooming so much that one horse gets a bald spot.

Some dogs that have been neutered or spayed mount other dogs. There is no way to predict which dogs might have this behavior, and it is the same with horses. It is unlikely it will happen with your horses.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, so this is less to worry about then. This was just all news to me.

The acting like an idiot was his owners words. He's apparently not currently safe to ride because his behavior is so off and he's started causing herd drama with everyone else and has been removed to a run by himself for now. He's been in the herd for 9 months so it's way different than his usual.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My 34" tall mini stallion has always lived with horse mares. All he could do was look up longingly. :)

So why are mares and geldings traditionallykept in same sex turnouts ?

With spayed and neutered dogs they mount because it is a dominance issue.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
My 34" tall mini stallion has always lived with horse mares. All he could do was look up longingly. :)

So why are mares and geldings traditionallykept in same sex turnouts ?

With spayed and neutered dogs they mount because it is a dominance issue.
Many people believe if geldings and mares are turned out together, there will be more behavioral issues such as geldings getting possessive over mares or fighting each other. I've been at a few barns where they just went by who got along with who, and did not separate mares from geldings. That seemed to work the best.

My gelding needs to be with mares because he plays too rough with other geldings. They think it is fun at first but soon start kicking and biting to get him to back off. Mares don't participate in the rough housing so they all get along peacefully. I've seen just as many mares getting possessive over another mare, or a gelding with a gelding, so I don't see why people think it is a mixed herd issue.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Currently have 3 geldings, 2 mares.
Only one gelding has, but it was because I had a mare that was a hussy. She hounded him constantly until he did the deed. 🙄 Her only, didn't bother the other mares.
As soon as she left, he stopped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts