The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been horse shopping and am looking for an advanced beginner trail riding buddy. I have looked and looked, drove 3 hours one way a couple times...and finally found a very nice horse that I believe I can work with. Well, after making arrangements for a 1 week trial (very nice of the seller) all of the sudden a old work friend is selling a gelding that sounds absolutely perfect for me!
I made the decision to stick with plan A and give the first gelding a try even though the second one sounds so great. Now I am starting to re-think that choice, and I am wondering if I should go and look at gelding #2.
I really like gelding #1 but there are no fireworks in the sky or anything, and he will need some refresher work...on the other hand gelding #2 is well trained and ready to go....both are the same price.
When you got your horse was there a "feeling" that you just "knew"?
This is my first horse purchase, by the way!

·
Registered
562 Posts
lol no sparks for me. i used to ride cutter when he was a lesson horse, but i didnt want him. i wanted a 4 year old egyptian arabian that i had trained from day one, but sadly the owners who were moving to a different state couldnt bare to sell him, so they sold me their other horse (cutter) for cheap. i almost turned them down and then last minute decided to buy cutter with no vet check or anything, just cash and i kept him in a friends backyard until i found a barn to board at. he needed alot of training, but now hes like my soul mate. hes the best horse i could have hoped to have, hes wonderful. so, i dont think there necessarily needs to be a 'spark" at first, relationships grow

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There was a definite spark between me and Penny when I first laid my eyes on her. I knew right away that she was the one. Even when I saw her ad and video I couldn't stand the wait until we could go see her. We have an incredible bond now, but it's always going to be different for everyone.

What are the ages of the two geldings? You probably don't want anything too young and spooky for advanced trail riding, and definitely not anything too old that's not capable of rocky slopes, logs, water crossing, etc.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
have you ridden #2 yet ?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
They both are at great ages. Try them both out and go from there :)

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I was 14 and didn't know any better. The only thing registering in my immature little mind was, "Look how shiny he is! Look how thick his mane is! Look at those beautiful, dark eyes!"

I didn't know enough to pick a horse wisely back then. Getting Vic was a huge mistake at first, but it's turned into a blessing. Now he's my other half and my partner in crime. :wink:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think you should definitely met #2 before you get too worried that #1 isn't the "one" lol

I was only 7 when I got my mare, but I knew I wanted her after I rode her.... I was riding her in a halter and lead around the property, and I just "fit" into her back like I belonged there. My mom was terrified of her because she was a high-strung arab... She spooked at everything, and wouldn't even go near water puddles ;). I still have her 16 years later... But I have bought horses since then, and I couldn't use the same "strategy" lol. there was this TWH I bought when I was 13 and she seemed great, fast, high-strung and all... but I learned quick that she was high-strung in the WRONG way... I think I came off that horse more than I've come of my mare in the whole 16 years I've had her... so it really depends on the horse completely.... sorry for the ramble, just try them both out, you'll know between the 2

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yeah, what everyone else is saying. Make sure to look out for wonky conformation problems, personality, etc. etc.. Don't forget to get your pre-purchase exam(s) either! It would also depend on what exactly you are willing to do. *Do* you feel up to getting #1 some refresher work before you can tackle the trails together?

When I found Lilly's ad, at first I was like...eh, she's worth a look. There was no heavenly chorus nor ray of sunshine falling upon the computer screen. I was simply searching for a nice amateur endurance prospect/trailhorse, something not too young, with a bit of sense. When I saw her in person...well, let's just say pictures don't really do this girl justice. And she was wonderful to ride that first time. We "clicked" then, and I knew she'd be coming home with us when I saw her. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! Getting your first horse is sooooo exciting. I've only had my own first horse, the aforementioned Lilly, a bit over a month myself!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd ride gelding #2, if only to quiet the "what ifs". You may find you don't like him as much in person, and you will feel better about gelding #1.

Then, read this thread http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buying-one-42235/ if you are still worried about not having an instant connection with either gelding.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! I am going to see him, you are so right, it will help with the "what if's" if nothing else! I understand now that there may or may not be a "click"!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just heard from my friend and she may have a interested party before I have a chance to go see him :( I guess that would be fate making up my mind, huh?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I went through a loong and hard search for my perfect horse. I was trying to find THE one... after phoning tons of people, looking at tons of ads, trying out over 10 horses, we still had no luck, and I was getting extremely frustrated. I started believing that "THE PERFECT" horse is just nonsense..
But, then when I met my mare, Lena, (I just got her yesterday), and tryed her out a few times, i just KNEW she was perfect. I can't really explain the feeling you get.. but you will KNOW when its the right horse. try not to get frustrated or impatient, b/c you dont want to make a wrong decision, and leave your perfect horse in the dust. There IS such thing, and you will find that special horse :)
Good luck!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
For me it was with the help of one of my best friends. Had it not been for her and her expertise, I wouldn't have not only seen him but I would have not gone out to see him. I trusted her, went out and bought him.

Absolutely wonderful horse.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Well, for me - my guy just fell into my life. Not literally, lol, but we just "ended" up together.

I knew him before I owned him, because while I was working at a barn, his owner needed him ridden on a regular basis to stay in shape for sale - since she bought a younger TB.

We got along wonderfully while I rode him for her, and while quite a few people came from our state and out of state to try him out, they just weren't meant to be. Offers were made, and they were declined.

Until one day, he was just mine. His owner handed me the reins and said that we were meant to be together and that's that.

Were ther sparks? Absolutely! The first day I saw him, I remember I was walking thorugh the barn isle and saw that there was a lesson going on in the lower arena. So I stood there beside the feed room, watching - and I remember saying to myself how gorgeous of a horse that was, and how much he loved doing what he was doing.

Then when he was brought into the barn to be untacked, I just fell in love with him.

So for me - yes, "There were sparks" and yes "He was the one"

~~~

You'll know. Just be patient and take your time and don't be in such a rush. I firmly believe that our animals, and that includes our horses, choose us - not the other way around.

When it is meant to happen, it'll happen.

But don't be stupid about it either, make sure you get a Vet Check done and have educated help. :)

All the best!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Even if she has an interested buyer, do you have some way to go see gelding #2, just to have a meeting?

There may be horses out there that you have an instant connection with, but I expect that you can still "fall in love" with a horse over time. Gelding #1 may still turn out to be your dream horse.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spoke with her today and convinced her to let me see him before she makes a final decision, so YAY! I will try to go next sunday, I just hope driving is ok, we are supposed to get a TON of snow throughout the week!
I just want to say thank you for all the great input, you are all very helpful! I will let you all know how it goes :)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
haha for me, after i sold my old horse the barn owner said: I know what horse you are getting next! she called her friend up in south dakota (sorta our friend back then too) and said: hey, they want to buy Rena...
haha i had never even met this horse, she was trailered up here and i was going to try her out for a month of so, well, the first time i met her i thought she was the most beautiful animal i had ever seen in my life! i couldnt make her canter, and i couldnt stop her from trot! she was the most stubborn horse ive ever met! we argued and argued, and disagreed on everything! but i needed her! so we got a vet check done... the vet said she was going to be lame in a year or less. i cryed and cryed and told my mom i wanted x-rays done. so we got x-rays, it turns out there is nothing wrong, so we bought her... and now me and rena agree on almost everything, we we work together and get the job done. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts