The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousins gave me a western roping saddle, it is nice but it smells.

I live in a apartment and have been keeping it inside of my walk in closet with my clean clothes🥴. It is really stinking up my closet, I don’t think They’ve ever washed this saddle judging by the smell.

can I put regular soap on it or will I need to buy a saddle soap? It’s the cotton like part that sits on top of the saddle pad that is stinking. Not necessarily the whole saddle

·
Super Moderator
10,238 Posts
Saddle soap is best. You can also use Murphy's Oil Soap. Those are for the saddle. It likely needs oiled, too. 100% neatsfoot oil ( not neatsfoot compound) or even a decent olive oil from your kitchen will work.

You mention the pad being smelly, though. Is this a separate item? If so, scrubbing it with a detergent and letting it dry in sunshine will help a lot. I understand you're in an apartment. Can you impose on a friend with a yard for this project?

Or, is the smelly part in the seat of the saddle? A padded seat? If so, you can still carefully scrub it. Dabbing it with vinegar water after washing will further cut odor. It will need fresh air and sunshine.

The odor could be from rodent urine. Tough to get out, but possible.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If it were me, I’d spray it down with Lysol, which should kill the bacteria that’s probably making it smell, then place it out in the sun to dry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saddle soap is best. You can also use Murphy's Oil Soap. Those are for the saddle. It likely needs oiled, too. 100% neatsfoot oil ( not neatsfoot compound) or even a decent olive oil from your kitchen will work.

You mention the pad being smelly, though. Is this a separate item? If so, scrubbing it with a detergent and letting it dry in sunshine will help a lot. I understand you're in an apartment. Can you impose on a friend with a yard for this project?

Or, is the smelly part in the seat of the saddle? A padded seat? If so, you can still carefully scrub it. Dabbing it with vinegar water after washing will further cut odor. It will need fresh air and sunshine.

The odor could be from rodent urine. Tough to get out, but possible.
I’m talking about the part underneath the saddle. The part that sits on the horses back, that is what smells

thank you

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it were me, I’d spray it down with Lysol, which should kill the bacteria that’s probably making it smell, then place it out in the sun to dry.
so just regular Lysol. No saddle soap or oil

·
Super Moderator
15,260 Posts
Is there any "staining" that might tell the tale of what and why it stinks?

The fleece underside has not recently been replaced has it?
Depending upon where that "fleece" came from and how it was glued on could indeed give you a stench not nice.

Being this is a area unseen, just smelled I might be inclined to read carefully a bottle of Odo-Ban....
This is a very versatile product from being a disinfectant, killer of stenches, and used in kennels, human & animal hospitals.... and more.

Anything you try can be a catalyst, creating a disastrous reaction, and for that reason I like to try white vinegar spritzed on and sunlight to see it dry in and see if that helps....
I never soak anything and use sparingly in case a "uh-oh" does occur...
I too would clean the saddle with glycerine/saddle soap carefully...
Depending upon saddle brand, quality and who had any repairs possibly done....indeed some "tanning" process have appeared using animal urine and that does stink to high heavens when it gets damp or musty.
You could actually have a over-lapping of processes creating your not so pleasant issue. :(
🐴...

·
Registered
572 Posts
You didn't saw what it smells like.
If the saddle has been used much, it's going to smell like sweaty horse. Thats just normal.
Since you say it's in the fleece, I suspect that's your problem.
Just goes with saddles.

·
Registered
687 Posts
so just regular Lysol. No saddle soap or oil
Well, you could use saddle soap on the leather to clean it up nicely. But since I don’t know if the fleece underneath is washable, or what one would even wash it with, is why I’d recommend the Lysol on that portion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts