The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. How do I convince my parent I can take on 2 horses?
So, my dad said awhile ago that I could get another horse. Then, he changed his mind and said no. Then he said yes again, then no. Many other girls my age have 2 horses! Some even have 5!! What have u all done to get ur parents to buy u a horse or another horse?
I'm not being selfish, I'm not wanting another horse for the sake of it. I need another horse. A safe one, one that I can take to pony club and won't get lectured about.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I'll agree it's annoying to have a parent flip flop about if you can have a horse or not.

But why do you NEED another horse? If the current horse isn't suitable, sell him and get a suitable horse.

What expenses are you responsible for when it comes to your horses? Who is buying the horse?

"Because the other girls do" is never going to convince your parents anything. Write down well thought out reasons to why you need a second horse and what you will do to take care of that horse physically and financially.

The best way to convince them is to SHOW them you are responsible and will take care of the horse.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yes why do you need another horse? If the horse you have is not safe enough for pony club why don't you sell your unsafe horse and buy a safe one. I don't know what your case is with school and all that but 2 horses is a lot of work. I'm in high school and I don't have time to ride my 2 horses at home everyday, let alone the one I board. I'm not saying you shouldn't try hard to get another horse if you WANT one but jsut think about some things.

Will you have time for both horses, school and work{if you have it} everyday?
Can your family afford it?
And why are you getting the horse?

If your getting the horse cause your current one isn't safe, sell yours and buy a safe one.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you really want to keep the horse that you have now (that's the 4yo right?), then I would suggest telling them that he's not ready to be taken out and you'd be much better off having a horse to compete and have fun on while training the younger one at home. Tell them that he's too young for pony club or anything like that.
I think it would also be a good idea to find out why your Dad says no when he does and then work on proving/disproving that reason. Eg, he says you won't take care of it so absolutely throw yourself into taking care of the one you have now (of course, don't stop when he says yes).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you really want to keep the horse that you have now (that's the 4yo right?), then I would suggest telling them that he's not ready to be taken out and you'd be much better off having a horse to compete and have fun on while training the younger one at home. Tell them that he's too young for pony club or anything like that.
I think it would also be a good idea to find out why your Dad says no when he does and then work on proving/disproving that reason. Eg, he says you won't take care of it so absolutely throw yourself into taking care of the one you have now (of course, don't stop when he says yes).
I've done that, (I've said he's not ready to be taken out). But, My dad is convinced 'Spider is the best horse', yeah sure, he's the best horse, so, if he's the best horse...that would mean he could compete in the olympics? Ya, I think not dad! I could try saying that again, maybe he could at least lease another horse for a while.
Thanks for all your help, anyway :)

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Hi everyone. How do I convince my parent I can take on 2 horses?
So, my dad said awhile ago that I could get another horse. Then, he changed his mind and said no. Then he said yes again, then no. Many other girls my age have 2 horses! Some even have 5!! What have u all done to get ur parents to buy u a horse or another horse?
I'm not being selfish, I'm not wanting another horse for the sake of it. I need another horse. A safe one, one that I can take to pony club and won't get lectured about.
Thanks!
For starters, you need something more responsible to say than to just "need another horse". Start off by showing your serious commitment to your current horse. Go to the barn more, ride your riding up a notch, show some serious responsibility with your current one and express to your parents WHY you would benefit from having another horse.

They are expensive animals to keep and it's a very expensive hobby, not to mention time consuming.

·
Banned
5,892 Posts
I've done that, (I've said he's not ready to be taken out). But, My dad is convinced 'Spider is the best horse', yeah sure, he's the best horse, so, if he's the best horse...that would mean he could compete in the olympics? Ya, I think not dad! I could try saying that again, maybe he could at least lease another horse for a while.
Wow...thats all I can say. Wow.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
First of all, you don't need another horse. You don't even NEED one. What is wrong with the horse you have...besides the fact that it isn't an Olympic horse? A huge majority of us don't own Olympic capable horses, so that is not a reasonable argument. Nor is the fact that some girls have more horses a reasonable argument.

So far all your reasoning sounds like you are a spoiled little girl, stamping your feet and trying to get something you want. So tell me, what is that makes you need another horse or even deserve one?

Speaking as a parent...If my daughter approached me as you have, wanting another horse based on your reasoning...then I would give it to her alright. Not the horse....but a good month of cleaning every single stall at our barn, scrubbing every water bucket, and any other menial task that comes up and she would have zero riding privileges with the horse she owns. By the end of it, I bet she would appreciate the horse she does own and understand that horse ownership is a privilege...not a need.

I can't help but feel that you are a spoiled little girl that can't even realize what an absolute privilege horse ownership is. If I am wrong, then I will happily apologize. So please tell me, why is it that you absolutely need another horse?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Are you paying for your horse? If you are financially responsible for your horse, and you can travel independently to your horse everyday, and you feed, groom, muck out, ride etc all on your own - then get another horse. Doesn't matter what they say.

Let me tell you - horses are expensive. Not the upfront cost of them but the day in, day out costs. Agistment, feed, vet bills, rugs, tack, wormer, farrier, dentist not to mention transport costs to get out there - I've spent more on transport than agistment per week many times. Not only does it cost ridiculous amounts of money - but you never get any of it back, not really.

I don't know your particular situation but if you want a horse to take to pony club, and to be safe, then you have to work with it. Ride it everywhere, take it everywhere. Another horse isn't going to fix your problems. Get this horse going well, do all you can on it, and if you feel its not good enough then sell it on and buy something more suitable.

I know you might think some of these responses are harsh but a lot of people's parents never buy them horses. They never get lessons. Your parents probably work a lot and pay for your horses - they don't have to, they don't want to because work is hard, and long, and you don't get much money.

Maybe get a job.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Well then!

For the record, I believe my horse is "the best" horse and he for sure could never make it to the Olympics. But he is a solid citizen who tries to accomplish what I ask of him. I guess I am just not so selfish that it is impossible to see the good side of what I have. (Note, my horse is currently arthritic enough that he is only sound enough to do light work, but he is still "the best".)

How much work do you do for your current horse? Do you provide any of the money for this horse's expenses? Do you do the work needed for any other horse (does your family have other horses)?

It is hard to see past the immaturity when your first post was typed in plenty of text speak abbreviations. Maybe your father is also seeing that at this point you are not mature enough to care for another horse, along with certainly not being mature enough to appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
You should be grateful your parents got you a horse in the first place, not whining that they won't get you another.

I work my *** into the ground to afford my horses. I make sacrifices for them every day. I make the drive every morning and every night to feed them. Before I had my truck, I took the bus.

Until you get to that point, I'm of the opinion that you probably don't deserve the one you have.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
God, I didn't know everyone would get so angry :S Jeese, everyone take a chill pill!! I'm not gonna get another horse anyway, we've found a better way. I'm gonna give Spider another chance, if he still be's naughty with me all the time, i'm going to lease a horse to take to pony club until I think he is ready.

I'm not trying to be selfish! I just wanted what I thought I should get! There r little rich girls who don't do anything for their horses but just ride them and get ribbons, I am not like that! I take care of my horse and have fun doing it. He loves me and I love him!

Post by riccil0ve.
Until you get to that point, I'm of the opinion that you probably don't deserve the one you have.http://www.horseforum.com/#ixzz10FhZbINs

How could u say something like that? I certainly deserve my horse! And so does everybody that cares about their horse!

I am not checking this thread anymore, it has gotten WAY out of hand!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Wow...

I'm just gonna say, I think you should be **** grateful to have one horse. If you have to hold off on competing, so be it. You're not going to die if you can't do Pony Club right this instant. Besides, I think it's much better to have one horse that you can devote all your time and attention to instead of having to juggle multiple horses. It can get a bit stressful trying to divide your time between 2 horses and accomplish everything you want to get done with both of them, and still do chores on top of that. There just aren't enough hours in the day sometimes.

And... how are things getting out of hand? No one is being nasty. I think you're just upset because you've been told what you don't want to hear.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I'm not trying to be selfish! I just wanted what I thought I should get!
What a lovely attitude.... NOT!

One has to wonder if SJG's parents know they have raised someone who "just wanted what I thought I should get" or if SJG acts like a responsible respectful person around them?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I never had to convince my parents anything about horses. I started working when I was 13, bought my first horse at 14, bought my second horse at 16, third at 17 and never asked them for a cent for upkeep, vets bills, comp fees, nothing. Kept my grades up at school and college and held down a part time job, sometimes two. Did I need three horses? Probably not but I wanted them so I made sure I got them and looked after them.

Perhaps if you take ALL the responsibility for horse ownership your parents would be more willing to consider it?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.