The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another grooming question, I have a very light coloured palimino. In the summer he is somewhat darker but if I could and some shine and little colour his looks would not clash so much:DYa I know I am really shallow about my horses looks. So any feeds I could add to his diet or a shampoo? I figured I should find some thing now since the holiday has so many sales. What about flax seeds? BOSS?
thanks

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
umm.... I don't think you can darken his coat with anything. Its not like human hair dye, ya know? He is beautiful, already!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sunshine will only make it lighter. I guess I should be happy with him.
Question: I blanket him will that effect his shedding out? Will his coat just go threw a normal shedding period?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Livermol... not sure what colour it would make a pally though but it makes my Bay a real red bay

Dont know if its an NZ product but surely you have the equivalent over there

surely some showies from over there should know - will find a link to livermol BRB

·
Registered
884 Posts
Livermol... not sure what colour it would make a pally though but it makes my Bay a real red bay

Dont know if its an NZ product but surely you have the equivalent over there

surely some showies from over there should know - will find a link to livermol BRB

Yeah i was just going to suggest Livamol

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is strange. But I have read in a couple places and seen that adding paprika (that red spice) in the feed (about a tablespoon a day) can really brighten up a palominos coat. I don't have a pally, so I've never tried. You can buy bulk paprika in like Sam's Club or whatever.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About the paprika and gold as sun arent they illegal in shows?

·
Registered
612 Posts
This is strange. But I have read in a couple places and seen that adding paprika (that red spice) in the feed (about a tablespoon a day) can really brighten up a palominos coat. I don't have a pally, so I've never tried. You can buy bulk paprika in like Sam's Club or whatever.
yep Ive heard that - and if you google it - they reckon carrots and pumpkin too...

never tried the paprika but I also think its swabbable???

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a palomino that I'd like to darken a little bit too. I've read the paprika thing as well as nutmeg. I read that those were both in the "Gold as sun" supplement, but I'm not sure. I don't show, I'm just shallow about her looks too (LOL) so I'll try at least one of them for a while. I'll see if I can find more info on the ingredients in the "Gold as sun" supplement.
The carrot suggestion might work too. I think I read once that hay doesn't have as much Vit. A in it as grass does. Carrots have Vitamin A so I'll try giving her those regularly too. Might help, can't hurt.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Okay here is the info on the label from the Gold as Sun supplement:

Ingredients
Ground Extruded Whole Soybeans, Vegetable Oil, Western South Dakota Chopped Wheat Hay, Molasses, Paprika, Celery Seed, Seaweed, Nutmeg, Pure Cane Sugar, Annatto, Riboflavin, Biotin, Bioflavonoids.

I'm a bargain hunter so I'm going to try giving her a mix of the paprika and nutmeg with some veggie oil for a little while with plenty of carrots for treats. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ I want to know how it works out. I will try the Paprika cant hurt I dont show at breed shows til mid summer. Has anyone tried flax seed?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Paprika is definately swabable!! They removed it from a product called 'Black as Knight' for that very reason. DO NOT use it, or anything with it in if you are competing

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Using "Gold as Sun" or some of the ingredients in it is your best shot. Personally I would look around for genuine customer product reviews and/or before and after pictures before buying anything, it would be better to live with the light coat now then to waste money and still have the light coat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You're problem is the exact opposite of mine. lol My palomino mare got a lot darker as she aged, especially her hindquarters, so it makes it look like she's been rolling in the dirt all the time.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So Paprika is harmless?
When will I start to see a change?
How much do I feed him?
P.S. I have paprika in the spice rack

·
Registered
359 Posts
Try Speedi Beet, its a feed. It darkens your horses coat, and gives them dapples if they dont already have them.

I used it on my mare and she changed from bright orange or a browny orange (cant describe it well), but its also what we use to keep our friesians black.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts