The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
I have a palomino that I'd like to darken a little bit too. I've read the paprika thing as well as nutmeg. I read that those were both in the "Gold as sun" supplement, but I'm not sure. I don't show, I'm just shallow about her looks too (LOL) so I'll try at least one of them for a while. I'll see if I can find more info on the ingredients in the "Gold as sun" supplement.
The carrot suggestion might work too. I think I read once that hay doesn't have as much Vit. A in it as grass does. Carrots have Vitamin A so I'll try giving her those regularly too. Might help, can't hurt.

· Registered
370 Posts
Okay here is the info on the label from the Gold as Sun supplement:

Ingredients
Ground Extruded Whole Soybeans, Vegetable Oil, Western South Dakota Chopped Wheat Hay, Molasses, Paprika, Celery Seed, Seaweed, Nutmeg, Pure Cane Sugar, Annatto, Riboflavin, Biotin, Bioflavonoids.

I'm a bargain hunter so I'm going to try giving her a mix of the paprika and nutmeg with some veggie oil for a little while with plenty of carrots for treats. We'll see how it goes.

· Registered
370 Posts
The dose for gold as sun is 2 Heaping Tablespoons per day, but it says you can double or triple that if needed. I made up a mixture of 2/3 paprika and 1/3 nutmeg and mixed 1 Tbs of that with a shredded carrot, some canola oil and a little molasses for flavor. She ate it just fine for the last two nights.

I figured if it is safe to give up to 6 Tbs. of the supplement (which of course has several other ingredients) it would be fine to use 1Tbs of these two. Also, I found several things on the internet where people mention giving 2 or 3 Tbs. of paprika per day. I figured I'd err on the side of too little rather than too much for now.

I came up with the 2/3 paprika to 1/3 nutmeg because of the order they are listed on the label and because paprika costs about half of what nutmeg costs.

We shall see...

· Registered
370 Posts
Yeah, a friend of mine is a vet and she said that sweet feed has been found to lead to "Metabolic Syndrome", basically diabetes, later in life. We kinda had to feed it to ours while they were being boarded at the neighbor's for 6 months, but now we're slowly switching them off of it.

· Registered
370 Posts
you do know that nutmeg is a poison right? The only reason it is used in supplements is that they use very small trace amounts of it, mostly for the smell....

It is like the same things with dogs and onions, you can't tell right away that it bothers them, but it slowly chips away at their health.
Oh, I had no idea it could be toxic. I looked around and found some stuff saying that it can cause hallucinations in large quantities. However, I found other things where people said that they used nutmeg alone to successfully darken a palomino coat. I haven't had any problems yet, but I'll cut down the amount of nutmeg I'm using just in case.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.