The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 5 yr old mare a year ago and found she was really green when purchased. She has good blood lines with Doc Bar and Poco Bueno in her lines. She is turning out to be a good ranch horse with two exceptions. Number One; she has a very rough gallop using her rear muscles to propel her. Number Two; when she jumps sage brush or ditches her jump ends with a rough rear action. I am getting up in age, so, when riding a 25 mile day or chasing after a cow this roughness gets real old fast! I have not had a horse that uses their rear muscles to this extent before. She seems to have good cow sense, good in all terrane with no fear, so I would like to keep her. BUT! Does anyone know how to correct her rough ride?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
That's just the way she goes. A "bumpy" horse will never be made into a comfortable horse, especially at a gallop.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
I dont know might just be rough...sometimes just a ton of cantering miles put on them helps smooth them out. That was the case with my gelding. Lots and lots of cantering down miles of dirt roads. I was a bit younger in those days but can still do the long lots of miles cantering a horse.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Do you have a picture of her you can post, Jacin? If her conformation is predisposing her to rough movement, you may be stuck with it. I suppose one should not rule out soreness issues, as well, where she is travelling that way to protect an spot.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Sounds like she's too heavy on the front end. A horse does drive from the hindquarters. A balanced, collected horse is smooth at all gaits because more weight has been shifted backward of the front end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mare's name is Breeze and she turned 5 in April, our ranch is called JaCin Red Angus Ranch. I placed a photo of her taken last spring which shows her build. You are probably right that she is going to be a rough riding horse, I will continue to work on the roughness this winter as weather allows. I have never owned a horse with an exaggerated spring coming from the horses rear legs. I use a western saddle that is in good condition and fits her well, leaving no soreness and no dry spots. Thank you for your response..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.