The Horse Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new palomino Leo has a gorgeous coat, and would be even more handsome for the show ring with a lighter mane and tail to match. I’ve been told to bleach his luscious locks, but that sounds extremely harsh and like it may not give me the results I’m looking for. Any ideas, recommended products, or advice is welcome!! And yes he is pretty as can be already, but I know that he will catch more eyes (especially those of the fickle judges in our area) with a white mane and tail.
Horse Plant Tree Working animal Liver
Horse Plant Fence Tree Split-rail fence

Horse Plant Fence Tree Split-rail fence

Horse Wheel Tire Working animal Tree

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I probably wouldn't bleach it but there's some options for stripping the dirt and urine out of it to help lighten to it's natural color.

Take a good squirt of regular blue Dawn dish soap, about a cup of white vinegar, a cap full of laundry softener in a bucket. Add water swish tail and mane in solution. Soak. For a tail you can tie a plastic bag in the tail to soak for about 10 minutes. A mane is a bit tougher to soak. Rinse. Wash and condition as usual. The variation I've seen, add Oxy-clean.

It won't bleach it to bright white but it'll clean it up and brighten it.

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama
1,192 Posts
Thats the horses natural color, just give him a good bath in a Brightening Shampoo and pay more attention to his mane and tail, dont be bleaching . Hes got a lot of yellowing to his mane, a Brightening shampoo will help with that, but it will take a few times of cleaning him up with a good shampoo.

·
Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,601 Posts
Get some Quick N Brite. YOu can order it here online. It's EXCELLENT in getting horses bright, and it's very easy on their coats. When we were showing, it's all I used.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
“If the core is dark in color it is likely he has nd1 and or sooty in his genes.”
[/QUOTE]
It is! That would make sense. And I’m not gonna do anything that will damage his hair to the point of no return. If it’s that color, then it’s that color. But I still want to pull all of that staining out. He was neglected in the bath department at his last home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally, I think he’s quite handsome as is. If you wanted, you could play off the colour with the right combo of saddle blanket and show duds - that might be more unique and eye catching.
[/QUOTE]
He is quite the looker! Unfortunately in the hunter realm, it’s very uniform. So no crazy fun colors. :(

·
Registered
197 Posts
With the darker colors in his tail and the dapples, he looks a lot like my gelding. He gets a darker coat and more black in his mane and tail every year. I personally love it but I'm not sure that's what you want to hear! I've used a whitening/brightening shampoo before but if it's the natural color of his hair, it's not going to do much (except maybe make the dark hairs a bigger contrast to the white!).

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
It takes a lot of maintenance to keep those manes and tails clean and bright. I braid and keep them put up in socks for the tails. The manes, I braid and roll up the braids and we do it weekly. Let them down, wash, condition, dry, braid and put up, weekly. I use Vetrolin White N Bright Shampoo,
Liquid Bottle Fluid Drink Gas
, Professional Cholesterol Cream Conditioner (from Sally's)
Liquid Fluid Paint Cream Chemical compound

and Roux Fanci Full White Minx or Ultra White Minx (to cover any yellow)
Bottle Liquid Fluid Glass bottle Drink

It takes work and it's easier to keep the mane and tail clean than it is to get it clean from being really dirty and discolored, but it can be done. I buy everything but the Vetrolin at Sally's Beauty Supply. TSC carries the Vetrolin products.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Professional Cholesterol Cream Conditioner (from Sally's)
and Roux Fanci Full White Minx or Ultra White Minx (to cover any yellow)
I’ve never heard of these two products before, and I am definitely going to give them a try! I’m big on braiding the mane and then placing the braids in protective bags, but I get worried about horses not being able to kill the flies with their tails (and we have a horrible yellow fly problem down here in the southeast). So I’d have to skip on the tail bag!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use the Vetroline White N Bright. Key is to let it SOAK.

I've never tried it personally, but the Silver Fire tail whitening is supposed to be really good too.
Oh yes, as an owner and lover of gray paints, I am very well versed in the use of Vetrolin’s White N Bright. The only thing is that it doesn’t always tackle that deep set yellow staining.
Do you use it in full concentration when you do the tail?

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
I’ve never heard of these two products before, and I am definitely going to give them a try! I’m big on braiding the mane and then placing the braids in protective bags, but I get worried about horses not being able to kill the flies with their tails (and we have a horrible yellow fly problem down here in the southeast). So I’d have to skip on the tail bag!
Oh yes, as an owner and lover of gray paints, I am very well versed in the use of Vetrolin’s White N Bright. The only thing is that it doesn’t always tackle that deep set yellow staining.
Do you use it in full concentration when you do the tail?
The Roux FanciFull and Cholesterol conditioner are both people products that you buy at a beauty supply shop. I don't know what they cost now, but they were very cheap the last time I bought them. The FanciFull I found out about because one of my aunts used it on her white hair when she washed and set it (back in the 60's & 70's) and I've been using it on my horses ever since. I covers any yellow in the tail and mane and washes right out next bath, so doesn't violate any "natural color" rules the breed associations have.

The tail bags are great fly swatters. They can swing those things hard and I've had no problems with them killing flies with those bags. LOL! They sting when they get you in the face with 'em.

I wet the tail and mane thoroughly, then rub the shampoo in, full strength, then run enough water in the mane and tail to get good suds an let it sit for 5 mins or so. Best if the sun is cooking that day. Wear gloves, your fingers and fingernails are going to get stained if you don't.

You can put Mrs. Stewart's Laundry Bluing in a pail of water and rinse the tail and mane with it, just be careful not to use too much, it can turn the mane & tail blue, BTDT. Another product that's really good is Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover. That stuff is really good for last minute touch ups.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts