The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, what do the flags at the sides of the cross country jumps mean/symbolize? Do they tell you where to go? I've seen them multiple times in some videos I've been watching, and I would eventually like to get into english and eventing. This seems like it would be a simple thing to know, but I can't find any articles or answers about it! Thanks, Almond Joy.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, that's too funny equine! So, what is the purpose of them?

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
They mark the border of the fence, allow the jump judge to see if the horse hasn't actually jumped the fence (but rather off the edge of it, the flags are designed to bend or break off below the level of the jump so it's highly visible if you hit them and they won't hurt you or your horse), and tell the rider which direction they're meant to jump the jump in.

Eventing and XC is GREAT fun!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if there is a red one on the right, that would mean to go to the right?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
It is also the same in driving, red on right. Also to make sure you are going through the gate the correct way, if you go through backwards you are disqualified.

I know several people disqualified for starting through the finish gate because they were side by side, very disheartning.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay I totally understand it now thanks guys!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts