The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I say Gear, I don't mean saddles and bridles of leather variety, I know how to clean those... I mean the items that your parent, or your other half, would kick you out of the house for putting in the washing machine!
The likes of Saddle Blankets, tail protectors, bandages, covers etc, things that get covered in hair and/or poop on a regular basis.

I despise when the time comes to cleaning saddle blankets, and travel tail protectors/boots/bandages etc, because I can absolutely guarantee there is going to be hair, poop, or both caked on the item, and stuck in the seams!

Usually I soak them with the hose and wash them that way with washing powder or something but it takes so long and it never seems to get all the hair/poop off the item.. Especially the horse hair out of the saddle blanket seams!

Oh, and for those of you with synthetic saddles, how do you clean those? I just invested in a nice Wintec Isabel and it needs a good clean

·
Registered
180 Posts
For cloth items on a fence with a pressure washer works for me.
Quick and effective .
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooh cool! Would that not destroy the waterproofing on covers and such though?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I brush my saddle pads after every use (woolback fleece).
I hose my stuff when it's really mudcake and dirty sweat.

Then, I bought a large washing machine for my tack room (100$ barely used) for deep-cleaning once in a while. Considering the amount or hair left in the machine, I wouldn't dare use my home washing machine... :wink:

I choose sunny days and everything dries on racks outside.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have put fly masks in the wash at home, usually only if they arent completely wretched. Otherwise bringing them to the laundramat sounds like a good idea. Not sure if theyd allow it, though. I dont have any blankets, so aside from saddle pads, fly masks, and halters I dont have much to wash.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I wait til my husband is out of town and then do a "special" load and clean up all the evidence before he gets back.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did contemplate buying a washing machine for the tackshed, but that requires it to be hooked up and whatnot and its an extra expense I can't be bothered with right now after last months feed bill, this months feed bill, and my incoming vet bill for blood tests on two horses and full vaccs for one horse and boosters for the other!
I will do that one day.
Maybe somebody should open a laundromat specifically for things in all walks of life that shouldn't go into normal machines (or non-horse-hair-filled machines) :lol:

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
My barn does have a washer/dryer available, but they charge per use. Unless what I have to wash is REALLY gross, I wash it in my machine at home. Usually it's just saddle pads, and I swap those out often enough that they really don't get all that dirty (except during shedding season, and then I try to brush/vacuum off as much hair as I can beforehand). After I'm done washing, I let the machine dry out, vacuum up any hair I can see, and run a self-clean cycle.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with the winter blanket once spring rolls around. Even if I could stuff it in my washing machine I don't think there'd be enough room for it to actually get clean, and the local laundromat specifically forbids horse blankets :p I've seen some flyers at my barn for a mobile blanket cleaning/repair service, so I may just see how much that costs.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
I hate to admit it, since it probably really p***es off the people who come after me, but twice a year I throw my blankets and whatever else in gross in one of the big machines at the laundromat. Especially the dryer pulls out lots of hair.
Posted via Mobile Device
All laundromats around here have big signs that say "No washing horse blankets or horse related items" and there is an accompanying penalty if you're caught doing it. I know one place will charge you $100 and you won't be allowed back for a minimum 6 months if they catch you.

For smaller items (fly masks, polos, etc), I put them in an old pillowcase and wash them that way, then hang them to dry. It's worked so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.