The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Billy cook barrel racing saddle and my little sister rode in it with new, dark blue jeans from walmart that had never been washed. There was dark blue Jean stains on the rough out stirrups and part of the seat.So I tried rubbing with a very damp sponge and warm water.That turned it white-ish. Which I would prefer over blue, but I still wasn't happy with it. So then I tried rubbing steel wool in small circles over it, which only scratched the saddle. Finally tried a stiff bristled brush which scratched it even worse. I'm really desperate to get the blue off. What can I do to fix it?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Ouch... blue jean stains are notoriously hard to get out of things! I feel for you, but have no clue how to clean a roughout saddle! I would guess that anything abrasive would scratch the saddle along with the dye, so I wouldn't try that. Hopefully someone else can be of more help.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Um, you're out of luck :( Be thankful you can't see the marks once you're on board.

I let my new roughout training saddle be used in an IHSA show in college, not thinking how everyone's black show chaps would rub off on the fenders. I may have cried a bit when the saddle was returned to me...

Reactions: smrobs

·
Registered
427 Posts
most rough out leather is nice grained leather that has been buffed with an abrasive. I would go to an automotive parts store and get the finest sand paper they have. May not take the stains out, but may fix up the scratches your other methods left.

good luck

·
Registered
831 Posts
Unfortunately there's not much you can do. Rough out is not meant to stay pretty. It'll actually change color on you just with time and exposure even if you don't get it stained or even ride it much. A stiff brush is all I've ever had the guts to use with mine. Riding in it is going to wear leg marks into it no matter what and once it gets hot, you have sweat stains from your horse. A stained rough out saddle is a loved rough out saddle. :)

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Try sand paper. It's also a good way of brining "life" back into it and a little texture if it starts to smooth out. Same goes for if you ever oil your saddle. Do not oil the roughout because it will turn smooth as you use it after. And if you have to, apply the oil on the underside.
You could also check out your local tack store for leather cleaning products, but i would try sand paper first.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
If you cannot get the stains out, consider restaining your saddle BLACK. When we did CW Reenacting the leather was supposed to be black, so when we used cheaper brown leather we had to "blacken" it. It is good for the leather and no amount of blue dye should change the color.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I read that a paste of baking soda allowed to dry will work. Apply. Dry. Brush off. Google care for rough out. This is an old thread but maybe it will help someone rose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.