The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how to pull and band a mane but my friends used to call my horse "chemo pony" because he would lose most of his mane to my pulling antics... I was taught to back comb starting at the length you want the mane to be, then pull the longer hairs out. Can anyone tell me how to do this properly so my child's horse does not end up looking skimpy?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
If it is really thin, just use scissors. First cut it an inch or two LONGER than you want it, then section it and take each section between your fingers(your first and second) one or two inches from the bottom and with the scissors pointing almost straight up at the sky, snip the rest to prevent a horsey bowl cut, just don't get too carried away.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I personally hate using scissors because it gives it too much of a straight edge. Not natural looking at all. I had this same problem with my TB mare as her mane was super thin but it needed to be pulled.

Solo Combs are the solution! They have a cutting action, but it looks like pulling. Natural look made easy! it's also really good for horses who despise having their manes pulled.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I have an appy. He is follicley challenged. I use one of those combs with the razor in it to shorten his mane. It gives it the pulled look with out loosing any hairs.

Off to see if I can find an example.

Edit to add:

This is not the one I have but it is the same idea.

·
Super Moderator
27,179 Posts
If you are going to cut, use the razor scissors (thinning scissors) not regular scissors.

·
Super Moderator
27,179 Posts
I have an appy. He is follicley challenged. I use one of those combs with the razor in it to shorten his mane. It gives it the pulled look with out loosing any hairs.

Off to see if I can find an example.

Edit to add:

This is not the one I have but it is the same idea.
Mine looks like a pocket knife. This is a good idea too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
let me just say, Most qh, paints cut the mane with scissors. simple as that. its also kinda the style to have them mane just straightly cut.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You use scissors and cut VERTICALLY and not horizontal. That way you cut length but still keep that "natural" look to it.
no, cut left and right.
if you really hate the look though, after you cut left and right, you can cut up and down. the problem with up and down is it always turns out uneven

·
Registered
212 Posts
the problem with up and down is it always turns out uneven
That's what I was going for...if she doesn't want a straight across mane that looks like it was just cut with scissors you cut vertically and it gives the hairs a more "rough" edge to them and not completely straight. What is also nice about that is it then doesn't have to be perfect. If you only cut straight across and a few hairs here and there aren't exactly right it will look bad, whereas with the up cutting version the hair lengths vary a little bit all over but it still looks really nice.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's what I was going for...if she doesn't want a straight across mane that looks like it was just cut with scissors you cut vertically and it gives the hairs a more "rough" edge to them and not completely straight. What is also nice about that is it then doesn't have to be perfect. If you only cut straight across and a few hairs here and there aren't exactly right it will look bad, whereas with the up cutting version the hair lengths vary a little bit all over but it still looks really nice.
no i meant un even as in half the mane is short while the other half is long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.