The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse is a belgian x qh from an auction. How would I come up with a name if I wanted to show him? Do I just come up with something I like, or are there any rules and restrictions?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
You just come up with whatever you want and make sure it's on the Coggins paperwork. Even if you're not showing you can still have a "show name". For those with registered horses, the show name is usually the registered name. However, the show goes by what's on the Coggins and registry papers if both are together, but if you only have a Coggins that is what they go by. For example, on my horse's Coggins is his barn name, even though he is registered, because I don't show and the events I go to dont track points or anything.

Assuming you're in the US of course. No idea what it's like elsewhere!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Just pick one you like.

Perfect example is my boy. Grade Percheron/paint cross. He was named Charlie by my old BO (who I bought him from). I hated the name, so I changed it. Since his blaze is in the exact shape of South America, I named him Buenos Aires (like the capitol of Argentina), which will be our show name. We call him Aires, though (pronounced like Aries, the Greek god of war).

Your show name can be whatever you want. It can be related to his barn name or something completely off the wall. Have fun with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to have an unregistered arab/qh and his barn name was Cocoa. When my sister and i went to open shows we would use the name Sizzlin' Hot Cocoa. So, you can make up whatever name you want!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Pick a name you like and that suits him. Don't use a presumptuous name though (the name of an already famous horse, like Man O War or Poco Bueno).

Pictures? :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.