Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a horse is your heart horse?

I feel like someone asking about how do you know when you love a guy but I already figured that one out haha.

Figuring out my heart horse, on the other hand, is giving me some trouble.

Is it just a when you know you know kind of deal?

Since I have no idea does that mean that Sonny isn't my heart horse?

Obviously it doesn't really matter, but I hear everyone talking about their heart horse so I'm curious, how did you know?

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
If someone offered you $10,000 would you sell? I breed and sell horses all the time. The day I turned down $10K for a colt who would never be worth that much, I knew.

It's possible to have more than one, I have 2 right now. There is not enough money in the bank to buy either one. Every horse on this place has a price except for those 2.

If you say things like, "He'll be for sale when you can pry his lead rope out of my cold dead fingers.", you have a heart horse.

·
Registered
635 Posts
For me I just knew. I've leased and ridden a lot of horses over the years. When I started leasing Bagheera years back, we just clicked. I knew he was the horse I wanted. He was for sale at the time and I couldn't bear the thought of him getting sold out from under me. I'm sure there will be other horses that I really mesh with in my lifetime. Bagheera was my first love and the first horse that I have ever meshed with as well as I did. That's what made him my heart horse.

Edit: Sorry for the edit. Dreamcatcher was spot on. I turned down two offers on Bagheera. I also refused to get a shareboarder on him because I didn't like the idea of other people riding him.lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If someone offered you $10,000 would you sell?
Hm...good point. No, I wouldn't sell him for that. :) His forever home is in my pasture. But I also felt that way about my last horse. I think I'll always feel that way because our barn has a tendency of taking horses in and then they live their lives on our property and they die on our property - of old age, of course.

Of the three in our pasture right now, I feel like there's a price that the other two could go for. One significantly more than the other but still, you could get me to sell.

That's a good way to look at it.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
With my mare I knew. I knew the moment I first walked into the lesson barn and looked into her stall and saw her standing there. Of course I got put onto a different horse and didn't ride her until about a year later but somewhere I always knew that she was mine. When the barn was selling her I was heartbroken. That mare took me to my first show, took care of me no matter what and although she was (and is) an almighty ***** I loved her dearly. When they sent her away to a trainer I thought I lost her I bawled my heart out because I knew that I'd lost her. Turns out my parents bought her. I think it was then I realized I was more attached to her than a typical lesson kid. It took me a while to realize that she was my 'heart horse' but I think you just know sometimes. You might not realize it but one day it'll smack you across the face.

Like you wondering about your gelding it took me years to figure out that my moms gelding is another one of my 'heart horses'. He was just a horse I worked, just another dumb horse until one day I realized that he gave everything he had to do what I asked him.

IMO if you have a horse that gives everything they have for you without any reservations whatsoever then you have a heart horse. They might not be perfect but there's just something about them that you can't imagine life without them in it.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I bought Henny in utero, so I had no idea what he looked like or if he'd even be a he! But the day he was born, I felt something. Like I could feel that he was here. And when I checked my email, his breeder had contacted me saying he was here! The second I saw his pictures, I knew. I was so completely in love with him. The first time I met him was when he was 2 weeks old. We connected immediately. Never before had he been so affectionate to another person, including his breeder, and we just clicked. I brought him home when he was 4 months old and it's just been a dream.

The night he had his accident, I thought I was going to lose my world. His resilience and attitude that night showed our connection. He couldn't see straight or walk straight and had the headache of his life, but he loaded on that trailer for me in the pitch black of night. That right there showed the faith he had in me. I never thought I could cry any more until the very told me he was going to be okay. Never before have I bawled so hard.

And the excitement on his face when he heard my voice two days later. He stopped everything he was doing and whipped around so fast, looking for me. It just melts my heart.

So yes, I can say without a doubt Henny is my heart horse. He can be a real stubborn butt sometimes, but I can't help but love him. He's my chunky butt no matter what :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: waresbear

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I have no idea what a heart horse is and I think it is a female equestrian emotion.
I also have no idea what it means when members say they "clicked" with their horses.
I have bonded with all mine yet like some more than others.
There are no heart horses at my place and all have a price tag. Some a little higher than others to deter any offers but if the right person has the right amount of money they are sold.
I also do not "rehome" horses that is a phrase that was foreign to me until I joined this forum. Shalom

·
Registered
150 Posts
I thought for the longest time that my step moms old gelding was my heart horse. We worked well together, but that as as far as it went. We worked together, I would give him treats. A mutual agreement. He spent his professional rodeo career with my step mom, and you can see the way he runs to her in the pasture and buries his head into her the bond they share.

It was when I switched over to her mare that I found my heart horse. My step mom had tried to turn her into another pro rodeo horse for herself. She worked good, but was just stubborn and didn't work well with her. When I was told that we were retiring the gelding, I was devastated. I had won several awards, including a saddle on that horse.

I ended up getting on her, trotting a few circles, and decided I didn't like it. I kept racing the gelding. I look back and think to myself, are you crazy? You need to know that mare for what she is- a blessing As a result of the gelding being mildly injured one day, I eneded up racing Pepper (the mare). She did some circles while we were waiting for our turn, but as soon as the gate flung open, she was stock still, waiting for my cue. Honestly, I was so hyped up on adrenaline and nerves that I don't remember hardly anything from the run. I just remember coming out of the gates so, so happy. We worked well together, and she just kinda became my new horse.

Now, I can see how much I've been blessed by my girl. We have won a saddle, along with many other awards.

She was so accepting of showing at fair, as she has never done any 'proper' riding. We also tried out English at fair, which she liked. But she really showed me her trust when we tried trail.

Side pass, no problem. She got a little tense over the poles, and by the time were done with the bridge, she was quivering. She fumbled through the first part of the back through 'L', just blind, stumbling, tripping. It was bad. So I said 'woah'. She just stopped, frozen there, so desperate to please me, but didn't know what we were doing. Poor girl was hyperventilating.

I am fully aware that it's against the rules to touch the horse before you are done, but horse before score. As soon as I started petting her neck and talking to her, you could feel her relax. We went through the rest of the trail without a fault, other than my hand on her neck.

That's when I knew- two years after having the horse- that she was/is/will always be my 'heart horse.' I hope to get a rodeo scholarship on her when comes time. I sleep with my state fair jacket because I get really anxious when I'm not around her.

Db- I do believe that you have/ have had/ will have a horse that touches you like this. Whether you choose to call it 'heart horse' or just your partner, or you just know that it's special, I believe you will find a horse that touches your heart, your life, and your soul.

Reactions: beverleyy

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
I've been lucky to have several over my lifetime. It's always hard when you have that special something with one horse to let a new horse in but it usually comes in time.

Before I got JC I owned his dam. That mare was my horse from the day I met her which was a few years before I even owned her. Then she had a calcium deposit come up on her knee shortly after I bought her. In a year I could no longer ride her because she couldn't bend that leg very well. Getting farrier work done on her became a problem. The QH breeder I had bought her from said to me one day that he was going to come pick up Star and give me the last colt she had. JC, then a barely halter broke 2 year old.

I was so sad to have to give up Star but I had told him when the issue started that he would have to take her away from me when the time came because I wouldn't be able to make that decision and that I would reimburse him for any expenses. I didn't expect him to give me another horse in exchange and to be quite honest I didn't really want the gelding. I had always had mares and while I had always worked through any training issues my previous horses' had, I'd never had to start a horse before.

A couple more years down the road and I'm out riding with some friends and one says to me, "I wish my horse wanted to please me as much as JC wants to please you". Of course I'm still lamenting over not having Star so I hadn't given much mind to the relationship JC and I had built. I think that was the wake up call that I needed to realize just what a good horse he was.

27 years later and he's still out in my pasture and I've been asked several times to name my price for him. My answer has always been there's not enough money in the world. At 29 years old I know his time is limited and while it might be easier to let someone else have to deal with the end of his life my answer would still be, "There ain't enough money in the world".

·
Registered
829 Posts
I never heard of the term 'heart horse' until I came on here, just assumed it was an american term in the same way people here in NZ might say things relating to horses that aren't used in the states.
For me, although I care a lot about my horses I do not love them in the same way I love my dogs who share my home with me.
But, since getting my most recent gelding I definitely have much more affection for him than my old gelding who is pretty much retired. They both receive equal amounts of attention and care but he is much more 'loveable' than my old guy who could care less about pats and fussing.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've never been a believer in 'heart animals', but my current lease horse makes me think a little differently.

I love him with all my heart. Thinking of the day when I have to say goodbye brings instant tears to my eyes. I can't think of a life without him. I am so grateful for everything in my life that happened, the good and the bad, that ended up with him being 'mine'. I have no regrets whatsoever, even on days like today when I'm having to brave the intense summer heat just to go out and feed him. I would give up anything else in my life just to keep him in it until the day I die.

That is the closest I've ever come to having a 'heart horse'.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
You know when the horse has driven you to tears, dropped you in the dirt, Misbehaved so badly you want to scream, and you still are willing to work though it and never sell them despite their problems. And you will know when your are happy just sitting watching them eat for hours. I found mine in a mare i would have NEVER looked twice at. Fate had other ideas though :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think my late mre was a "heart horse" (never heard of that term untill today.) I would not have taken a million dollars for her. She was my girl, the "child" I never had.

She was so sad and pathetic when I first saw her. I didnt want an older mare and definatly not one I had to rehab back to health. But something told me in my soul that she needed me (and I Later learned I needed her.) It took a long while to gain her trust and her heart and I almost gave up. One day it was like the sun had broken through the darkest of clouds and it went from there. A part of myself died with her, a part of me that I will never get back. 10 years later and I still miss her today as much as I did when her death was fresh. If there is one thing in my life I could have back...above all else it would be her. So I guess if there is a "heart horse" it would have been her. I have had other good horses I would not have easily given up but she was special.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts

I saw these 2 pics on line and called her breeder. She was 6 months old and today she's 8 years old and still that saucy filly. I shipped her out to CA from AZ, sight unseen based on those 2 pics. Still can't believe I did that, but something about her spoke to me.

Today:

There's not enough money in the mint to buy my Patti!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Dreamcatcher since I have seen that mare in person and the envy monster wanted me to knock you in the head and load her in the trailer, I fully understand your attachment.
Everyone those pictures do that mare no justice. There is not one thing I can fault that mare for except that she might be too perfect to be real. Shalom

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Dreamcatcher since I have seen that mare in person and the envy monster wanted me to knock you in the head and load her in the trailer, I fully understand your attachment.
Everyone those pictures do that mare no justice. There is not one thing I can fault that mare for except that she might be too perfect to be real. Shalom
AWWW Donald, that's so sweet of you! She is a pretty awesome mare, but I freely admit to being prejudiced in her favor and a whole lot of barn blind when it comes to her. :lol: I can't wait to see her foal this year, gonna be a looker.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My horse is my heart horse.
I wouldn't trade him for diamonds or gold or the world.
I wouldn't se'l him if I could help it and I won't let anyone ride him if I don't trust them or I haven't seen them ride. He is my everything and I know he loves me too because every time he sees me he comes running.

You just know. You won't want to be anywhere else but with him and you would do anything to keep him with you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It took me about 5 minutes to fall in love with Riley. I knew the first time I met him that he was going to be mine. It took a while for me to get to know him completely, though. I bought him from someone who was selling him for his previous owner who had moved out of state. I really knew NOTHING about him. I think the person selling him just wanted someone to take him, so she kept things short and sweet when I came to check him out. Our first year was a learning process. I was trying to figure him out, he was trying to figure me out... We had good days and bad days.

After about 4 months and one particularly horrible day, I started thinking that maybe I had made a mistake by purchasing him so hastily. I loved him so much, but I was doubting my abilities as an owner, so I decided to put him up for sale. I let one person come look at him, she poked and prodded at him, rode him like he should have been a Grand Prix dressage horse, asked me about 6 or 7 times if he could jump (he can't anymore), and that was it. I hated every minute she was there. I felt like I couldn't breathe, like I was doing something very wrong. After she left, I bawled like a baby. I took the ad down right away and promised Riley and myself that I would never, ever try to sell him again.

It wasn't until this past summer that things really clicked for us. I started working with a trainer who had worked with him extensively before I owned him. She had taught his previous owner and she had even shown Riley a few times herself. She helped me fill in a lot of gaps, not just with my riding, but also with his personality and little quirks. She made him make sense to me. Then, last fall, she put me in contact with his previous owner. I learned so much more about him, it was amazing to hear about his past life, his racing and eventing careers, and to hear someone else describe my horse exactly as he is to this day. It made me feel so much better about him, knowing that his crabbiness and occasionally skittish behavior wasn't because of something I did (or wasn't doing right).

I have always loved him and taken care of him the best I could. I always accepted him for the horse he was, knowing that I had to take his perfectly awesome days along with the horribly rotten. But now that I understand WHY he does certain things, how to help him cope, and what I can do to take even better care of him, I feel like we are on a whole different level. I can say with no hesitation that he is my heart horse. He can be a royal brat sometimes, but he can also be the deepest, most soulful animal I have ever known. He is truly priceless to me, and we will be together for the rest of his days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.