The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a horse at my stables who won't walk on or respond to anything! Any suggestions?????????:lol:

·
Registered
631 Posts
hello tilly,and welcome to the forum.if you can't make this horse go forward,then stand beside his shoulder on a short lead and ask him to turn with you.do it on both sides.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for your help, I will try it next time I go to the stables!!:p

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
What are you asking the horse to do?

What have you done?

How old is this horse?

How much training has this horse had?

Can others work with this horse successfully?

Need more information to help... but welcome to the horse forum :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Info

He is 9 yrs old
Works well with others, but can be aggressive if you get to close
Used to be forward going, know doesn't want to and just stands around!
Use to be a good show horse, might have picked up bad habits from new naughty horse!
Tried lunging, won't respond.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
What is your experience and what advices has your trainer given you? What is your role in the horse's training?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not the most experienced person, but help mucking out, feeding, helping lessons etc. I have tried lots, so I guess i'll try the vets!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey Tilly, I think the lack of response is due to the huge number of possibilities here. We don't have much to go on as to your skills and your horse's exhibition of what's happening.
Could you give us some more info like specific examples of what is happening when you are in this situation. Tell us what your hands and legs are doing and how short or long your reins are, how you think the timing is going and what level of interest Rimmer is showing in you and your intent and what you're asking him to do at the moment. We'll try to help.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
There is a horse at my stables who won't walk on or respond to anything! Any suggestions?????????:lol: unquote That's it.

Tilly, I see you are new to the Forum. There are numerous members connecting to this forum who know a lot about horses. They can help with many behavioural problems. But in order to suggest an answer which might work for you, we have to know more about you and your horse - if it is your horse. Your giving answers like: 'undisclosed' does not help us to help you..

It would be nice to know if the horse is yours and why you want to know.
Perhaps a few details about the horse could be advised - say age, height, breed, fitness level, known behaviour, temperament, history

Then there is a need to know what facilities you have available -say a small paddock surrounded by 3 foot high fence.
and
what exactly you are trying to achieve and why..

PLUS
1/ Does the 'horse' make any noises like: 'Hee Haw?.
2/ Does the horse have extra large ears which stick up?
3/ Does the horse move backwards when you poke it in the chest with your fingers?
4/ Will the animal stand still when you walk up to it?
5/ Will the animal allow you to touch it?
5/ Do you have a head collar which fits the horse's head, a long lead rope and a whip?
6/ How long have you been riding? How old are you?
7/ How are you connected to the horse?

Tilly if you don't help us to help you, then, with the best will in the world, we can't really help

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Lauren - no I am not dissin mules, they have my ultimate respect. But if Tilly doesn't know the difference, then what chance does she have to get the 'horse' to move?

By the way the 'hee haw' I reckon belongs to a donkey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.