The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a question, but I wanted to know how you guys "start" a horse that has had no previous riding training. I teach them to lunge, and then begin riding training going bareback using only a halter for control.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Bit of a too broad question IMO. Lunging is one of the many things I teach a horse before riding. I want them to be desensitised to lots of stuff, to trust me & whatever 'toys' I may use. To yield in a variety of ways, softly & reliably, without fear or resistance. To 'ground drive' with one or 2 reins, with me directly behind or in whatever position. I also teach them voice cues.

I too like to start horses(& new riders) with a halter & only start the horse in a bit when they're reliably & softly yielding to pressure without.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That IS a very broad qeustion. For starting a colt there is alot to do on the ground, normally I'd start with roundpen(/joint up) work, move onto lounging - get him/her respectful, moving out forequarters moving into a trot with energy, moving off the halter, yeilding hindquarters to stop. Then move on to flexing, getting the horse soft in his head-neck. Then onto yeilding foreqaurters-hindqaurters on the ground. Desensitizing Between those exercises. That's just a few things I'd start off with on the ground. - and remember, what you do on the ground should always have a purpose that will help you in future, whether it be for respect or to transfer undersaddle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Starting A Horse

When educating a horse I work with two aspects of training; Sensitize [horse moves its feet] and desensitizing [horse should not move its feet]. My training plan consists of the following drills/exercise:

a. Ground Manners
b. Ground Handling
c. Ground Work
d. Lunging
e. Perhaps Round Penning
f. Long Lining
g. Accepting a saddle
h. Accepting a bit
i. Preparing for & First ride
j. Mounted training plan including drills

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status