The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a scare yesterday.my horse cast in his stall. Was caught quickly but in tun coliced. Since he was caught so fast the vets came out and it was an easy fix. I have never had this happen and have never had to go through a colic. He is my only horse. Is there any precautions you take. Is this just one of those things that can happen and I was the lucky one.I board at a great facility that i am lucky enough that is staffed and so he was only down for a matter of minutes as far as the know. As soon as the kicking started against the walls they went running..What happens if there was no one around. What do people do that work during the day and there is bad weather and the horses are put up and no one is around?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
What dancingarabian said. My horses are out in bad weather, but when my mare (or any horse) is in she makes a point to check on them every so often. If she has a horse that rolls a lot or has a tendency to cast she puts them in an open stall which is big enough for them to readjust in and is connected to a field. Other than that's it's just hope.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Remember....A horse wakes up thinking TWO things. WHAT am I going to eat, and HOW am I going to kill myself.

That's why women are attracted to horses and bad men who have that same philosophy!!

Nancy

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
my horses stay out 24/7 when weather is really nasty i bring them in. Even being out is no sure bet they wont get cast. my mare 2 years ago got cast up aganst the hay feeder. Was stuck for close to 4 hours before found. happened in the wee hours of morning. Stuff can go wrong no matter what you do to try and prevent it.

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
You can buy anti-cast rollers and fit bars around the sides of the stall that a horse can push himself off if he does roll too close
My guess is that your horse was rolling because he was already colicing and got cast because he was in pain and not thinking what he was doing
Talk to your BO about his management regime so you can avoid future attacks
Horses can have accidents in the field just as easily as in the stable, unfortunately we can't always be watching over them

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I too think that colic is the issue not getting cast causing it.

My horses all live out 24/7 and never come in, it makes it much easier to keep them healthy as they have constant food, water and movement.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Mine are loose 24/7 too. Big run-in shed. Nothing to cast themselves on or with.
However I was working in the veggie garden one day and noticed my walker mare laying down in front of the barn. Didn't think much of it but 20 mins. later she still hadn't moved. Went over there and sure enough she had cast herself on the outside of the wall somehow. Just couldn't seem to get her feet under herself enough to get back up. I had a soft rope in the shed and was able to pull her feet over enough thank goodness. My back screamed and I imagine she was a little sore but no harm done. Haven't seen her lay down near the barn since.

Banking the sawdust around the walls I've been told helps.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I forgot to say...glad Diego is OK!!! And, my soon to be niece-in-law is from Wylie!

Nancy

·
Registered
452 Posts
My horses only spend the night in stalls, and THATS only during the colder months. During the summer they have a small run in shed, and plenty of shade trees but they don't get to come in. However when we only had one horse, we built him a stall in the field and it was huge, as in you could fit five horses standing tied in it. When we built the barn for three horses, the box stalls are again huge. Four horses can fit in them easily. And we just added on a pony stall, in which one of the horses could walk around in, lay down comfortably.... The reason for the huge stalls in my worry of them getting cast. However thankfully they've never been alone during two colic scares. The first I just happened to look out the window on a sunny snowy day. And then stopped and kinda just looked at Suzie... She was standing with no weight one back leg, and it was streatched wayyyy out resting on top of the snow. I go out, thinking leg wound, and pull her outta the field.. She's not limping.... sweating a bit, but its really warm out. No other sign of distress... I start walking her back to the field... and down she goes taking me with her... And so starts the three hour battle of keeping her up, and dragging her up off the ground with lots of help while my mom called the vet and we waited. As he pulled in the driveway I had to kick this mare in the head to get her up the last time... Something I still feel guilty for to this day... But we had people sitting on her legs to stop her from rolling and she was tossing them around, if they'd be tossed away, and she rolled she'd be dead. Until that day she'd never been struck or screamed at.... That day started a 7day way for her to pass and recover.... 7days of standing with her in a garage with a heater. And the vet leaving pain shots, and coming running out to our home 19times... she was just suddenly fine... her eyes brightened up, and she started drinking normal water instead of "horse gatoraid" and eating... That was to this day the best day of my life. The day we reliazed she'd live. Afterwards the vet even admited to thinking she was dead the first time he checked her.... Colic is nasty.... theres alot of things that can happen while your away, and colic is just one of them. All you can do is do your best , don't do things you think will cause harm later. Make sure they have water, don't feed after working them.... But somtimes, as with our girl.. It just happens

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He has never coliced before.And as my vet said this was incredibly mild. It was close to feeding time so I cant see him being down in his stall.I too think he was colicing and went down and rolled.But as everyone was telling me he was fine. This is a very busy barn lots of people coming in and out and they wer all shocked that he was sick just a few horse after seeing him. Thats the strange part

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.