Registered
2002 APH Gelding aka Rocky
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leg Human body Wood Comfort Grey

Light Plant Road surface Asphalt Wood

Leg Road surface Wood Trunk Asphalt

Road surface Wood Trunk Asphalt Flooring
What do you all think of this trim? (Let me know if I need to get better/different pictures!) We have been using this farrier for quite a while now, probably almost 2 years but I’ve never gotten other’s opinions on how they look. Our horses are on a 6-7 week schedule depending on how their hooves are.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
The trim is a mis IMHO, BUT it may, Ot be if you get the hooves trimmed on a five week schedule.

That 6-7 weeks doesn’t work for most horses. Of my six Keepers over my lifetime, I have only ever had one horse that could go 6-7 before a trim. He is still with me at age 28th he always gets trimmed at five weeks because that’s what my other horse needs.

Shorten the time between trims and hopefully those pie plates will disappear🤠🤠

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trim is a mis IMHO, BUT it may, Ot be if you get the hooves trimmed on a five week schedule.

That 6-7 weeks doesn’t work for most horses. Of my six Keepers over my lifetime, I have only ever had one horse that could go 6-7 before a trim. He is still with me at age 28th he always gets trimmed at five weeks because that’s what my other horse needs.

Shorten the time between trims and hopefully those pie plates will disappear🤠🤠
My horse is a very heavy boy lol so I wish I could get the pie plates gone but since he is so heavy he tends to have the draft sort of feet when they’re barefoot if yk what I mean. We have tried doing shorter periods between trims and it hasn’t seemed to help much without doing corrective shoeing which I can’t afford right now unfortunately, but possibly in the near future. Thank you for your suggestions! We might try going back to a 5 week schedule if it works out.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
My horse is a very heavy boy lol so I wish I could get the pie plates gone but since he is so heavy he tends to have the draft sort of feet when they’re barefoot if yk what I mean. We have tried doing shorter periods between trims and it hasn’t seemed to help much without doing corrective shoeing which I can’t afford right now unfortunately, but possibly in the near future. Thank you for your suggestions! We might try going back to a 5 week schedule if it works out.
Unless the camera skewed the pictures, the flaring on the back quarters looks like it could be fixed.

Your fotos are clear but it would be best if you could get some clear solar pictures, so folks could see where the whitelines are and what the frogs look like🤠

Reactions: Alyce+Rocket

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless the camera skewed the pictures, the flaring on the back quarters looks like it could be fixed.

Your fotos are clear but it would be best if you could get some clear solar pictures, so folks could see where the whitelines are and what the frogs look like🤠
👍I’ll make sure to get some more/better ones!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Those are pretty hooves:).

I’m not a farrier but I’ve done a lot of my own trimming thru the years and spent a lot of time with my nose in my foundered horse’s hooves (RIP Joker).

The professional farriers might disagree but I don’t see any glaring issues. If you can see you way financially to trim him every five weeks, see if that helps get the flare off his hooves. Maybe leave him at six weeks, over the cold months, if his hoof growth slows down over the cold months.

The only thing I might suggest would be for you to stay on top of the toe cracks with some sort of thrush treatment. Clean them them out with a brush, then apply something every 3-4 days or every 2-3 days if he is in mud.

I like Thrush Buster and White Lightening gel.

I wouldn’t look for a new farrier. Unless your fella is always lame after trims, the farrier is doing a good job.

Also, if this is the horse in your other hoof thread with the blue “bruises” on his heel bulbs, you might want to measure him for boots. Some horses just are not meant to go barefoot in rough terrain, so it’s better if they have boots if you don’t want to shoe him🤠🤠

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are pretty hooves:).

I’m not a farrier but I’ve done a lot of my own trimming thru the years and spent a lot of time with my nose in my foundered horse’s hooves (RIP Joker).

The professional farriers might disagree but I don’t see any glaring issues. If you can see you way financially to trim him every five weeks, see if that helps get the flare off his hooves. Maybe leave him at six weeks, over the cold months, if his hoof growth slows down over the cold months.

The only thing I might suggest would be for you to stay on top of the toe cracks with some sort of thrush treatment. Clean them them out with a brush, then apply something every 3-4 days or every 2-3 days if he is in mud.

I like Thrush Buster and White Lightening gel.

I wouldn’t look for a new farrier. Unless your fella is always lame after trims, the farrier is doing a good job.

Also, if this is the horse in your other hoof thread with the blue “bruises” on his heel bulbs, you might want to measure him for boots. Some horses just are not meant to go barefoot in rough terrain, so it’s better if they have boots if you don’t want to shoe him🤠🤠
Thank you for your suggestions! I’ll plan on getting one of those that you suggested for thrush, and we aren’t planning on going on any more rough trails unless we get some boots! I’ve been looking into some recently. Do you think the Easyboots are good ones?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions! I’ll plan on getting one of those that you suggested for thrush, and we aren’t planning on going on any more rough trails unless we get some boots! I’ve been looking into some recently. Do you think the Easyboots are good ones?
I really like EasyCare’s boots. However, I only used their trail boots for rehabbing my foundered horse, before they came out with their therapy boots.

Regardless of brand, you will need to measure him according to each brand’s requirements , then find a boot that fits him as styles really vary. Some models of boots fit THIS horse but won’t stay in THAT horse.

Also, if you want him to wear four boots, the back hooves also need measured as they often are never the same size or shape as the front hooves.

The hoof should be measured right after a fresh trim, then you have to remember the boots likely won’t fit at 5-6 weeks due to hoof growth, unless his hooves grow very slow:)

Does your farrier happen to sell boots or know another farrier who does? It would be best if you could try boots on your horse before you spend the money on a pair that might not fit and have to send them back — provided the company will take them back:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really like EasyCare’s boots. However, I only used their trail boots for rehabbing my foundered horse, before they came out with their therapy boots.

Regardless of brand, you will need to measure him according to each brand’s requirements , then find a boot that fits him as styles really vary. Some models of boots fit THIS horse but won’t stay in THAT horse.

The hoof should be measured right after a fresh trim, then you have to remember the boots likely won’t fit at 5-6 weeks due to hoof growth, unless his hooves grow very slow:)

Does your farrier happen to sell boots or know another farrier who does? It would be best if you could try boots on your horse before you spend the money on a pair that might not fit and have to send them back — provided the company will take them back:)
Ok thank you! My farrier is pretty old school so probably not but I’ll ask around and see if anyone else knows a farrier that does. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts