The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because i have signed my boyfriend up for lessons, since my horse is not beginner safe.

I have signed him up for lessons with my instructor. She has put him on her slow pokey pony. Pony has a tendency to not go unless you really mean it when you ask. He managed to accidentally cue the lesson horse into a slow canter instead of a trot. 🤦‍♀️ outside rein, leg, seat. So he probably got 3-4 canter strides in. This was his 3rd lesson.

She lunged him on a long line a bit at a canter in case he accidentally did it again in the future. As well as going over how to cue the canter so he didn't accidentally do it again in the future.

So overall it just kind of ended up being a funny whoops at the end of the day.

I was raised around horses and have come back as an adult so i don't remember my first canter. I remember my first runaway horse at 6/7 but not first canter. I had wanted to ride but my mom didn't want to go saddle the horse for me and i had decided to just ride in a halter and lead rope. Well i didn't get the other end tied right and it came undone. Horse took off on me and was galloping/cantering loops through the barn arena and back around the pasture. On the 3rd loop i gave up and jumped off, landed on my feet. I later got busted because my mom found the horse with the halter and lead rope on in the pasture later.

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
From memory... and also from working at a trail riding co where we often had total novices... in which the main thing it depended on was whether they wanted to or not. Probably around 10 mins on average.

·
Banned
904 Posts
I ask because i have signed my boyfriend up for lessons, since my horse is not beginner safe.

I have signed him up for lessons with my instructor. She has put him on her slow pokey pony. Pony has a tendency to not go unless you really mean it when you ask. He managed to accidentally cue the lesson horse into a slow canter instead of a trot. 🤦‍♀️ outside rein, leg, seat. So he probably got 3-4 canter strides in. This was his 3rd lesson.

She lunged him on a long line a bit at a canter in case he accidentally did it again in the future. As well as going over how to cue the canter so he didn't accidentally do it again in the future.

So overall it just kind of ended up being a funny whoops at the end of the day.

I was raised around horses and have come back as an adult so i don't remember my first canter. I remember my first runaway horse at 6/7 but not first canter. I had wanted to ride but my mom didn't want to go saddle the horse for me and i had decided to just ride in a halter and lead rope. Well i didn't get the other end tied right and it came undone. Horse took off on me and was galloping/cantering loops through the barn arena and back around the pasture. On the 3rd loop i gave up and jumped off, landed on my feet. I later got busted because my mom found the horse with the halter and lead rope on in the pasture later.
When I was getting “lessons“ from a friend I cantered in the first ride up the side of a mountain bareback. Totally wasn’t safe. After i started getting proper lessons it was 2 months before my first in class canter. I had cantered my horse at home without the instructor. My dad started getting lessons and he’d do the cold down ride of the horse I had ridden for my lesson and was cantering in the fourth lesson, but 30+ years ago he was a station hand so had a bit of experience holding on to the mane 😂 I had a similar experience with my lead rope coming undone in a ride, my horse bolted and somehow I managed to stay on. Another time I had a bridle but was bareback and I tucked the reins under my leg for a moment to brush my hair off my face and my horse did a full body shake and the reins were too far up his next for me to reach. Luckily it was the cool down ride so he was lazy and I just experimented with riding tackless until he walked over to a fence and wouldn’t move so I then got off. Good luck to you and your boyfriend!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Almost 3 years. However: I started as a very nervous rider and had no special reason to canter. Also, the horse (Jasper, my lease-horse) decided when I was ready for me :lol: (not meanly, not a bolt, just got happy a few strides). I don't think, for most people, there's any great rush.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
I cantered at about my 8th ride. I also galloped on that lesson. I wasn't supposed to be, but...the horse I was riding thought she was being left behind and so she galloped to keep up with the horse in front of us. I had a lot of fun, and I stayed on, so...
Oh, I was taking lessons for an hour each lesson. So, my first canter was after 8 hours of riding. I had never ridden a horse before that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first ~official~ in lesson canter would've been after about five months of bi weekly half hour lessons. The pony I was riding was VERY bouncy though, so I almost came off after the first corner, but thanks to the neckstrap she was wearing I stayed on! I had several accidental canters before that, but thankfully no falls.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah okay, im glad it's not super uncommon for an accidental canter. He just surprised us, and he seemed surprised we were worried. I think he just said it was a lot easier to balance than posting the trot. I guess im usually a worry wart. 😅

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Ah okay, im glad it's not super uncommon for an accidental canter. He just surprised us, and he seemed surprised we were worried. I think he just said it was a lot easier to balance than posting the trot. I guess im usually a worry wart. 😅
Cantering is so much easier than trotting for me! I am able to sit deep, and ride the canter super well, but with a trot, I'm bouncing around all over the place! Lol!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I used to teach people to ride, and on average, it was around the 10th hour lesson. It varied quite a lot depending on the person learning to ride. I never ever made people do things they were afraid to do. They were paying me, and I figured they should do what they wanted. I also taught all the neighborhood kids, who did not pay me, but I just followed the desires of each individual. Some were ready. Some were not. I also let people go over cavalettis and low cross rails around the 10th lesson. I know they weren't really ready for jumping, but these folks were not serious riders. They just wanted to tool around a bit and have fun. I'm all for having fun with horses.

One neighborhood boy I was teaching to ride was determined to "go fast." He was riding my son's horse, Red Hot Chili Pepper, who was appropriately named. He just couldn't get the posting trot, so I wouldn't let him canter until he could show me he could post. He was always hounding me to let him "go fast."

At the end of each trail ride, he wanted to gallop from our gate to the top of our pasture, and I always said, "You wouldn't want to do that. Red Pepper will take off with you like a bat." But he didn't believe me. One afternoon, as I was dismounted and closing the gate, he kicked Red Pepper with all his strength and shouted "Yeee-ah!" Red Pepper took off like he loved to do. The boy came off about halfway up the pasture, luckily was not hurt, but never groused about not being allowed to "go fast" again.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I cantered during my third or fourth private lesson... The owner of the horse was holding the horse on a long lead rope and giving him the cues so I could focus on the feeling and my seat. I think I rode the canter alone without a lead rope by the 10th or 13th lesson or so... It all depends on your learning curve, the confidence you have in your horse and the trainer. Fun fact: I found cantering to be way easier than the sitting trot. Also... the horse I ride makes me work really hard for it and he's not a beginners horse but he would never dump me and in the beginning of my riding journey he did some extra effort to ensure I didn't slip out of the saddle... :)

·
Banned
904 Posts
I cantered during my third or fourth private lesson... The owner of the horse was holding the horse on a long lead rope and giving him the cues so I could focus on the feeling and my seat. I think I rode the canter alone without a lead rope by the 10th or 13th lesson or so... It all depends on your learning curve, the confidence you have in your horse and the trainer. Fun fact: I found cantering to be way easier than the sitting trot. Also... the horse I ride makes me work really hard for it and he's not a beginners horse but he would never dump me and in the beginning of my riding journey he did some extra effort to ensure I didn't slip out of the saddle... :)
The thing that confuses me is that all equestrians I know found the sitting trot hard. For me it was easier that posting. Maybe it was because my fusty 5 rides were bareback? I prefer to sit trot and my coach is always yelling “post AJ POST!!” 🤣

Reactions: Jolien

·
Premium Member
13,100 Posts
Trots depend on the horse. I've got a mustang whose trot makes you pee blood but whose canter is super smooth. A mare I used to own had a fantastic "jog" but her fast trot was...elevated. And elevating! Bandit is my normal riding horse now and his canter is much easier to ride than his trot. As a rule, though, I find a canter much easier to sit than a trot. Maybe because I almost never sit the trot. Prefer two point. I'm past 60, had back injuries and take no pleasure in sitting a trot.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The thing that confuses me is that all equestrians I know found the sitting trot hard. For me it was easier that posting. Maybe it was because my fusty 5 rides were bareback? I prefer to sit trot and my coach is always yelling “post AJ POST!!” 🤣
Yeah the sitting trot was easy on my friend her horse because he's also pleasure trained and he has very nice gaits, but some horses are just so... bumpy! Some horses also have a canter where they throw you up very high in the air (ponies often!!) so it depends... on the breed, the training, the rider...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Trots depend on the horse. I've got a mustang whose trot makes you pee blood but whose canter is super smooth. A mare I used to own had a fantastic "jog" but her fast trot was...elevated. And elevating! Bandit is my normal riding horse now and his canter is much easier to ride than his trot. As a rule, though, I find a canter much easier to sit than a trot. Maybe because I almost never sit the trot. Prefer two point. I'm past 60, had back injuries and take no pleasure in sitting a trot.
Right, I only sit the trot on horses that have a nice gait. No way I am sitting the trot on a bumpy horse or in a bad saddle. I can handle alot of pain but I don't particulary enjoy my skin literally being rolled up and my flesh bloody and raw (yes. this happened in a combo of bad saddle and very bumpy trot)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I grew up riding western, and we had some horses that had a nice natural western pleasure trot/jog. So i grew up sitting the trot and posting on green horses. That pokey pony my instructor has, has a great western trot and i can be bad about sitting it. Then i get "ride her forward" and i start posting. She's actually pretty manageable sitting it, UNLESS you transition downward from a canter and sitting that is just punishment 😂.

Her step up horse is an old QH x Arabian and his canter just launches you into the air. Then you get "sit on your pockets." He can be a fun ride that likes to go.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
My first canter was when I was around four or five years old, sitting in front of my dad on his saddle during a public trail ride. In a way I never didn't canter, because once I got older, I continued to go to that trail ride place, and cantered my very first time riding a horse by myself, too. It was just part of what they did on the trail rides. No choice about it, haha. However, we had western saddles, and I just held onto the horn and the horses all just followed one another. Having a first canter in a situation like that is kind of handy because you really don't have to do anything but sit there and hang on. The finesse of actually asking for it and controlling it came later.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Yeah the sitting trot was easy on my friend her horse because he's also pleasure trained and he has very nice gaits, but some horses are just so... bumpy! Some horses also have a canter where they throw you up very high in the air (ponies often!!) so it depends... on the breed, the training, the rider...
I learnt on a high withered Arab 🤣 ooooohhhh the pain...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts