The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are just some quick pictures I got of a 19 YO Missouri Foxtrotter.

Not sure if the pictures are good enough to estimate a condition scale...but if so thanks.

IMGA0523.JPG

IMGA0524.JPG

IMGA0525.JPG

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
Hard to tell but not obese. Has muscle and a topline. Not underweight that is for sure.

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
I've seen worse, much worse.
She is padded but the things you would expect to see on a seriously obese animal I'm not.
No channel of spine and bulbous butt cheeks either side...
No obvious pads of cellulite...
Horse is a even heavy weight on the frame, but still a flat flank.
The wither is starting to hide in the fat pad supposed to be behind the wither, now has advanced right up to the wither itself.
Shoulder is very full and rounded with weight and neck is weighted but not cresty do I see.
Ribs are well padded...
I'm not seeing much muscle delineation as it is hidden under the fat.
The horse borders on the edge of obese but isn't quite there yet.
If I were to score... a 6 solid on the scale.
Some would score as a high 5, but to me a bit more padded so a 6.
If this is a breeding horse, I read that you want a mare to come into foaling time a bit heavy.
If a breeding stallion they also want them to carry a bit more weight coming into breeding season...
For me, if just a riding horse we need a diet or increase of work done slowly or both as a bit to much for the organs to take care of and supply nutrients to...a bit to much weight on the legs and feet.
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was quick thanks. These were my thoughts also. Felt a little sponge in the tailhead area but not bad. Could feel a small layer of soft over the ribs but did not have to dig for it. First thing I felt for was crest and felt none.

I had posted an add for a 20 YO +/- that was sound and could be ridden at a walk 3-5 times per week at 2-4 hours per ride. Then this horse showed up Owner had not seen my add.

Horse has never been shod and has zero concavity but looks to be filled in with hard retained sole. Wide frogs. Guy has had him 9 years and has registration papers he said came with the horse. Walks, trots, and canters easily he said but he didn't seem to really know what a foxtrot single foot gait was. Oh well, I only walk anyhow.

Thinking this would be my favored way to exercise Hondo without training him to cart. Plus, if Hondo gets well enough, he could carry a light pack load.

So glad no glaring problems were present in the pictures at least. On the ground, he's an in your pocket horse. 16hh which to me is huge besides Hondo's 14 hh.

BTW, 'he's' a gelding.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I gotcha all looking for fat, how do you think this little guy's looking?

IMGA0518.JPG

IMGA0519.JPG

IMGA0521.JPG

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
He is obese.....very!
Fat pads on top of fat pads.
He stands like he has either foundered or has laminitis issues.
A cresty neck...
He has cellulite bubbles in several places...and a lot more things going on.
If her were presented to me as a sale prospect I would pass.
jmo...

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, by the way, his front feet have an oversize pair of Scootboots on them.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
He's lost a little weight from your original pictures but not much.

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
He looks better but the horse still has a weight issue.
Sorry to me "only a 7 or 8" is a serious weight issue to deal with.
Optimum is a 5 on the Henneke scale.
10 is the absolute worst you can score and scoring half-way between optimum and worst is just not good.
I'm sorry.
Regardless of wearing boots or not the horse stands like he hurts, period.
Look at that stance, truly look critically and see the numerous weight shifts that body is doing...that is not a relaxed stance but one of ouch, ouch and another ouch.
I'm sorry, I know this is your baby and you have taken a ton of weight off of him and are doing all you can do...
Damages are done and his body is fighting you every step of the way to drag it back to safer levels.
Once a diabetic always a diabetic...the body never reverses and truly heals completely no matter what you do. Forever if you were a diabetic you will need to watch what you eat carefully.
The horse is a diabetic, IR is the fancy name, but diabetic and has the traits of that ailment showing.

It is the same for a human smoker who quit smoking years ago... a true story follows.
My husband broke his leg.
His orthopedist looked at xrays in his office follow-up visit and asked how much he smoked and when..
We were stunned as he quit 20+ years ago...the damages done though are forever in the body.
His healing and quality of his healing told a story there was no denying in fact to that doctor.
He healed fine but it took longer and was a rude awakening that all though you are told if you quit smoking in ?? time your lungs are now clear and fine...maybe, but the damages throughout the body that smoking did, never reverse completely.
IR, horse diabetes are the same...never go away and forever hard to deal with.
I'm sorry.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pictures are 1 1/2 years apart. Yes, he is hurting but once again making gains.

I smoked until I was 39 and quit to be able to compete effectively in grueling off road motorcycles. At 78 people do comment on how fit I act and how young I look. But yeah, some damage never reverses.

And yes, I think in terms of diabetes. Same deal.

I am beginning to question the accuracy of scaling from not so great pictures compared with actually being able to walk around the horse poking him.

When he now turns left to scratch his side, the ribs on the opposite side can be clearly and easily seen from below the lats all the way down.

His rump used to be on a circular radius from the top of his hips to his tailhead. Now that area is on an actual slope.

Almost all the spongyness of his tailhead is gone. Less than Keystone the Foxtrotter above has.

Where he used to have a groove under the saddle fit area, he now has a slight ridge at his spine.

Where he used to have a bump of fat behind his eyes is now a depression. Not as much as Keystone's but a depression at least.

Much less jiggle at his flank.

His crest is around 1/3 of what it was. Maybe even 1/4. It's leaving at the same rate grass grows or even more slowly.

Little exercise so no muscle could compound his look.

I wish I would have weighed him before as I think he has lost a ton of weight. He even has some fairly pronounced withers now.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Jealous of the little foxtrotter - he is a tad overweight but should lose it when worked. Short and compact in the body like the MFT mare I had. Hondo does not look too bad. Pictures are really deceiving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts