The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How have you been dumped off of a horse?

19K views 131 replies 104 participants last post by  fizzlefazzle 
#1 ·
In a my years of riding I just recently got dumped off a horse for the very first time. And while people seem to fall off all the time I have been amazed at the stories people can tell about it. So what is your story? Go ahead, rant about it :D

#34 ·
Haha I'm surprised thats never happened to me! My horse had this horrible habit of just like, bolting when told to move forward from a stand still. Not really bolting...She's gaited, so she would just take off into one of her faster gaits. I'd nearly have to grab onto some mane before I'd tell her to go....Except then she'd learn that when I put my hand near her neck, I was about to ask her to go XD

Problem solved by switching to voice cues. But it was still a frustrating but hilarious thing.

One other time I nearly fell off I remember is when she jumped over a pile of poo. Yes, she took a dump in the round pen, and she did NOT want to step in it, and she didn't think going around it was an option. So she jumped over her poop.

#35 ·
I have only been /thrown/ once. I was a thirteen-year-old who knew nothing about riding. Looking back at pictures, I can't believe Splash didn't toss me before he did. Anyway. I was really ready to ride this day, so I tacked up, walked to the field, and hopped on. I was very ready to go, so I layed my heels into that poor, confused, six-year-old Paint as hard as I could, as many times as I could. What did he do? He bucked me off like I deserved. I hung on for three or so bucks, then I was gone. Came down on my hip and knee, and have permanent damage. I have severe pain in my hip usually every other day, but most noticably, I am now bow-legged because of my smart, first pony. Oh, I was terrified of him after this and my parents gave him back to his old owner. Now that I look back, it was a VERY good thing. I shouldn't have had him at all at that point in my life. Goodness, what horses teach you. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

#38 ·
Well, i have come off quite a few times.. Lets say i can hold on a bit better now...
Anyway.. stopping suddenly, ducking out of a jump, bolting, bucking, and sharps turns of Pumpkin's own accord. Thankfully, his bad behviour is becoming less and less!
Oh well, I am still alive. I am lucky I havn't broken any bones yet *touch wood*

#40 ·
I've fallen off twice in the 7 years I've been riding. Both were off the same horse [who I'm actually riding today] and they were within 2 weeks of eachother.

The first time, Scooter and I were jumping a little warm up jump [maaaybe 2' max]. I leaned at the jump, Scooter stopped, and I slid right off his neck onto my head. -_-

The second time we were at the same jump, cantering in, and I saw the wrong distance and Scooter decided he didn't want to jump it short so he stopped, I was flung off, and in his stopping he dislodged a pole that ended up underneath my back when I landed. I had a beautiful bruise from that!

#41 ·
Well, I've officially fallen off Scooter three times. I came off today in my lesson. We were jumping a combination [2'6" to 2'9" to 3' I believe] and Scooter refused the 3' twice and then stopped dead a third time at the middle jump. I was catapulted over his shoulder, bouncing off the pole on my way down. I landed right on my side. GR. The worst part? My mom didn't catch it on video.

#42 ·
Well, I have been riding for ten years now and my horse and I are inseparable. We never really had a consistent trainer before, but finally we found one named Ida. She taught me all through 2008 and she finally stopped teaching me when I fell off for the first time ever in September of 2009. This was approximately a year ago or so when I fell off by the way. But anyways, this is what happened -

My horse is an off the track Thoroughbred. So if you even walk another horse next to him, he'll go faster because what happens is his mind will click and think he's in a race. So my trainer, Ida, was teaching me to canter. Well, I was doing fine until we turned. Now my horse does everything, including run barrels, so of course he turns really fast and tight. She was cantering beside me on my friend's horse Lucky. They're both off the track, so what happened? My horse took off at a flat out gallop thinking I wanted him to. I flew off and landed on my head, bounced in the air and landed on my shoulder, and then slid across the ground. I was about two inches from the fence post. Everyone thought I was dead for sure, but I was perfectly fine, or so I thought. The only thing that kept me alive was my Troxel helmet and the fact that I know how to tuck and roll. Without that, I would have died and most likely his the fence post. So, I was very lucky.

After the fall it took me about a minute to be able to breath again, literally. Of course as soon as Shiloh felt me slide off his back and halted, turned, and ran towards me anyway which was amazing because he just cares about me enough to see if I was alright. The way my mom and trainer crowed beside me gave him enough room to take his front feet and step inbetween them and nudge me trying to get me to stand. Haha, I love my horse sooo freaking much. But yeah, that was the first time I ever fell off in the ten years I've been riding. I haven't fallen off since, but I'm sure I will soon again anyway, lolz. Since then I've gotten a new trainer whom I have been training with for about five or six weeks now. She's very good actually, and I'm really learning from her. She just may be my first consistent trainer ever. ^__^

Well, that's my story. The morals of my story: 1.) ALWAYS Wear a helmet and know how to tuck and roll. If not, be sure you know how to hang onto a canter, hahaha. 2.) ALWAYS trust your horse and treat him well. Shiloh really stepped up to me that day and showed me just how much more he cares about me.

Thanks for listening. :)

- <3 Shiloh

#43 ·
Oh yeah, and the fall left me with the following:
Out of school for a week
Out of gym and riding my horse for a month
A serious concussion
Cracked Ribs
Dislocated Shoulder (actually I don't think it was dislocated but it was pretty badly hurt lol)
And then I had cuts and bruises everywhere. I had passed out for about 11 seconds about 10 minutes after the fall. But all in all, I got up and gave my horse a kiss anyway. I walked away in pain but happy to have a horse who cares so much. <3

#44 ·
lol yes, of course.

My first ever dump...my instructor put me on a highstrung OTTB who had no business packing a beginner around. He ignored me and went over to sniff noses with a horse in a paddock adjacent to the arena -- instructor had forgot to turn off the electric wire...hehehe. Bum, meet dirt.

I've had some other unplanned dismounts but nothing huge, knock on wood. Helmets are wonderful things though...reckon one saved my life once!

#45 ·
I have fallen off many times, 4 years old being walked under short branches ECT... I was 6(I think) riding my gelding, mom had him on the lunge line, my little sister ran in front of him, so Smoke tryed to run around her but slipped and fell over, my foot was cought in the stirrup. I had a sprained ankle.

I was riding Smoke bareback with only a rein around his nose in 07. The ragweed was huge and two of my little siblings fallowed me, they thought it would be funny to hide and then touch his hind legs as we walked by... Well Smoke reared and I rolled off his but Hahaha! good times! :)

I was riding Chip for the first time, he threw me into a barn door... He felt it just as much as I did.

Twas a warm summer day, riding my dads pally paint gelding down the road... He wanted to trot and throw his nose in the air when I told him to slow down, so I pushed him into a canter, his hind legs slipped out from under him and we both went sliding down the road. I had a big lump on my elbow, road rash on my knee, a broken wrist.. and the @SSHOLE RUINED MY FAVORITE PANTS!!!! Oh... and Littleman had a small bald spot above his eye.
Posted via Mobile Device

#46 ·
I've been riding for 5 years and I remember falling of 3 times but there have problably been more :). The first time, I was riding a barn sour mare who decided to canter back to the barn while I was ridng alone. So I made the quick decidon to jump off while we were in the grass rather than hold on a risk getting dumped of the gravel. The second time, me and my brother were racing our horses and my horse took a crazy turn I wasn't ready for and I did a backflip off :). The last time, I was cantering my horse coming back after hitting the trails and he turns and starts galloping towards the barn. I fell off about 3 seconds before he stopped :(. Well, thers my stories!

#48 ·
I think I'm the only person that has ever fallen off while trying to get on a standing horse. He didn't even move. I was trying to get on page from a block. But I'm short, and page is tall so it was a chore to get on him. That one time I fell, I pulled myself up, failed, and went down to miss the stool and fall on my back. Page turned to me to give me that, "what are you doing down their" look. He's a sweety pie and I love him a ton!!!

#62 ·
I think I'm the only person that has ever fallen off while trying to get on a standing horse.
Haha, I shouldn't be admitting this but I have done the same. I went to get on using a plastic mounting block, as I jumped I managed to slip, completely underestimate the jump to get on and my mare freaked at something. All things combined ended up with me being mid-jump, falling and landing flat on my back on concrete. Smooth :lol:

The other memorable time was when I was bucked off as a kid. My foot got stuck in the stirrup so I got dragged half way around the school then my foot fell out and the pony trod on my leg with both its back feet. I was so lucky not to be badly injured.

#50 ·
Ive fallen off about a million times, but the funniest one was when I fell off at the walk. I was just walking around the ring on a horse that just came to the barn about 4 hours ago, and the bridle was messed up, so I leaned over to fix it, and I guess the horse saw my hand out of the corner of her eye and spooked and did a little side step and off I went. I just think its funny, because who falls off at a walk.

#51 ·
Well we were trail riding I was on a green horse putting some miles on him for my uncle who swears every horse he has is broke to death LOL. Anyway this was this horses 6 ride so I found out when we got home. Going through a water crossing the girl in front of me horse did not want to cross. She got her started in the crossing and she spun and came back our way. Well the horse I was on decided that, that little mare was going to eat him and went NUTS. Well to make a long story short don't trust my uncle about a horse being broke which I should have know. Story of my life riding horses for my uncle I should have learned a long time ago.

#53 · (Edited)
I was thrown out of my bed.....? :lol:
You can be thrown outta bed! ;) You never know what lurks in your bedroom at night... haha.

I stopped counting at 100 falls (my friend and I were competing to see who fell off less)... My brat of a pony used to throw me. He'd buck, bolt, pigroot, rear, flip, stop, spin and roll all with the intent of getting me off. Once he'd succeeded in getting me off, the rest of the ride would go perfectly. If he didn't manage to get me off, the rest of the ride would be a fight. He was a fantastic pony until I started getting more experienced. Then it was like he felt the need to test me. But that ended up being fine. My confidence sky rocketed and my ability to stick to horses improved immensely. Half of the falls would have been my fault, but god he could buck.
All my falls off Barcoo revolved around jumps. He had the ability to start to take off from a jump, then slam his front feet down and sit on his backside, neck down. He managed to get my cousin off and she's headed to Nationals for Eventing... I had one fall when Barcoo did that, slipped and fell sideways onto me. My leg was trapped for 1/2hr and the ambos got lost. -.-'
I've fallen off Toby and broken my back (my worst fall ever). He tends to just scoot sideways when something scares him and he just happened to catch me mid-rise. He saw a horsefloat and decided to chase it so I landed on my chin and had my body flipped over my head. Then the ambos got lost trying to find our place. -.-'
All my falls off Joe have been completely my fault. That horse doesn't have a mean bone in his body. My worst was when I was cantering without stirrups and he has a real rocking horse canter. I asked him to stop and I started bouncing around so turned him into the fence. I ended up landing on the fence. That wooden fence is really solid apparently.

#54 ·
This is a fall I witnessed. I was riding Gunner, and my two friends were riding double on Bud. We were riding down a road and passed train tracks where a train was coming. We thought it'd be fun towatch it. WRONG. The first car went by, Gunner was prancing and snorting, but under control. I guess my friend didn't expect it, so she didn't have Bud tight. He bolted, my horse followed. Friend 1 fell off to the right and landed on the grass, and Friend 2 fell onto the assfault at bolting speed face first, and my horse went over her. My horse refused to stop until the train had passed, and when I got off I hit ice and twisted my ankle, and had to run to catch Bud. I hobbled down the road leading two horses, crying and screaming for my friends. When I found them, Friend 2 had a VERY bloody face and had been knocked unconscious. We had to walk back over a mile and were alone. My mom had to make the 30 minute trip over and then to the hospital. Friend 2 has MULTIPLE scars on her face and arms. Very scary day.
Posted via Mobile Device

#55 ·
Oh, too add.....the horses ran over a mile. So, I walked around 2.5 miles with a twisted ankle holding two horses, one who was walking WAY ahead and one who was lagging way behind. Just because I love considerate people, multiple cars passed and didn't stop. :/ Oh, Friend 1 was the only one of us wearing a helmet, so Friend 2 was VERRRRYYYY lucky to get by with scars, blood, and a concussion after hitting assfault face-first with no helmet at breakneck speeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

#56 ·
Only been thrown once. A cat flushed a rabbit from some weeds, and it went right between Sassy's fronts. That was ok, because she only took some quick steps backwards and to the side...but...right into some hot wire. She jerked forward, and since I had turned back to see where the hot wire was...just in time to see her hit it...I was off balance and twisted out of the seat and hit the ground. I was worried she would run, but had to laugh, since, not only did she stand perfectly still but looked back at me as if to say "what are you doing there on the ground?..." I mounted up again and we rode for another hour or so.

#57 ·
We have two pastures, one where the horses stay most of the time and one just for grazing. They are about 600 yards apart, and usually when we take the horses back to graze my daughter and I do it together. She leads Thunder and being I am lazy I use Dixie's lead rope as reins and bareback her. (Why walk when you can ride?)

So about two weeks ago my daughter is not home and I decide to take the horses back to graze on my own. I am going to bare back Dixie and pony Thunder. Now usually Dixie stands solid as a rock when I get on, but Thunder is not usually right next to us when I mount her. Anyway I jump up on Dixie and as soon as I left the ground thunder spooked, which made Dixie spook. I rolled off the back of Dixie and landed square on my chest knocking the wind out of me. Dixie stopped and looked back at me with a "I'm so sorry" look on her face.

I sure found out a 31 year old doesn't bounce like a twenty year old that day.

#58 ·
haha well my way was the most embarrassing ever. i decided i was gonna use my pole and racing horse. now she is an extremely hot horse and scared of things, so i decided i would carry a flag on her for the riverton rodeo. BAD IDEA. i did the sponsor flags. once i got in to run around she freaked out cause the wipping sound of the flag. she ran straight down the middle. i went one way she went the other. i fell off somehow my hat ended up halfway across the arena. and the flag stuck in the ground while she was running and it broke in half. and she was still running, she is lucky the part that stayed in the saddle didnt stab her. and so i was left with a HUGE internal bruise on my leg. and this was in front of hundreds of people. lovely huh? well im new to this so add me and i dont know how to use any of this so help me

#59 ·
I'm 31 and have just started lesson - i've had 8 or 9 I think so far. Everything was going really well until my most recent lesson where I fell not once but twice! The first was at a small jump where my horse just stopped and i kept going. Somehow though i managed to land on my feet. Seriously it's the best dismount i have done so far! Twisted my knee a little but was all ok. The second time was probably about half an hour later. We were cantering in the paddock and the horse infront of mine swerved into my horse. That made my horse swerve and i swerved with him and he swerved again and then again and that's when I came off. Landed on the back of my hip which is seriously sore at the moment and then my head. i was seeing blurry stars for a while! The thumb on the other side of my body is also really sore and is already turning lovely shades of yellow and purple

#61 ·
I've only fallen about...15 times and I've been riding for 7 years. Most of the time when people tell me I should have fallen off I end up with one knee bent of the horses back and one arm grabbing around their neck for dear life while my arm closest to the horses face find the reins and stops them. I don't know how I stay on like that..I've ridden a horse bucking like that but...I don't know haha.

My worst is fall is my most embarrassing fall because it was just so STUPID. I was riding my horse at a nice slow trot, I wasn't really paying attention (I was trying to figure out what this person was doing) my horse turning left, I turned right and land flat on my butt on a rock/slash ant pile. Couldn't sit down for about a week and had over 30 ants bites but I got right back on right after that...though I think I stood up in stirrups more than I sat down:-p

#63 ·
Hmm, I've been thrown/fallen my fair share of times...
One of the most memorable was a whiiiiile back, when I was about nine, and I was riding double with a friend on one of her Arabian mares, bareback with a halter/leadrope reins. We were moving from a forested area to a field, and Secret(the mare) walked between two stumps. My friend and I lifted our legs so they didn't get caught, and Secret took off at a dead gallop. My friend, who was behind me, started slipping off, and ended up pulling me off with her. I was holding Secret's neck in a death grip however, so we both ended up swinging in front of her, then falling. Secret jumped us both and kept on running. My friend and I both stood up, then she(my friend) starting crying, and yelling "Mommy, my backs broken!! My back's broken!" (we were by her house, out riding in her pasture) I had landed on my arm, and twisted my wrist rather badly, but I remember staring at my friend and going, "Lisa, Lisa!" Until she stopped crying and looked at me. "Lisa, you're standing up, right?" "...yes..." "Well then your back can't be broken, can it?" "No...but it hurts!" Whenever I tell people the story now, I say it is the perfect example of the differences in Lisa and I's personalities! :D :D :D

I rarely fall off Diamond, and when I do it's usually my fault...ex. my most recent "fall" was two days ago, when I was cantering him bareback, and I decided to try kneeling on his back while he cantered. It actually went pretty smoothly until he veered sharply to avoid a stick on the ground, and off I slipped. I hung onto his mane and ended up landing on my knees, bouncing up again(because of my grip on his mane) flying in front of him, and managing to get my legs under me so I ended up standing. Got away with just a slightly twisted ankle, and the feeling itself, of bouncing through the air, was actually kind of fun...I was laughing when I finally stood still :P lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.