The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think it's very important. For starters oral health can effect how they eat and if they are breaking the food down so it can be properly digested. Second putting a bit in a mouth that is unsuitable to carry one seems mean. I would hate to be knocked in the teeth by a metal bar when I was trying to exercise. You wouldn't let your horse walk around on cracked or abscessed feet right? I know very little about teeth I rather not gamble with not having them taken care of by someone who can address or prevent little things from becoming big problems.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would say this is every bit as important as having the farrier out on schedule. When floating isn't done annually (or more often if needed), horses can experience major chewing problems, pain, trouble with the bit, weight loss, and can experience dental issues such as infections. A horse's teeth continue to grow throughout their lifetime. They must be filed down on a regular basis to ensure level teeth that will function properly.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree and disagree on this one. Yes, oral health is just as important as any other aspect, but to say a horse NEEDS it's teeth floated every year is a bit much. For some horses, once a year is necessary...others, not so much. My mom has 2 11 year old mares that have never had their teeth floated. They've had checkups and seen by a vet a couple times, but if there's no problem, why try to fix it? They're in good weight, happy attitudes, ride fine...that being said, our 5 year old mare had to be floated and have wolf teeth removed when she was 3.

Same as farrier work, some horses need more than others. It's important regardless of how often it's tended to, but to say every horse needs to be floated once a year is inaccurate. Have an equine dentist do a check up a couple years in a row to determine how much wear YOUR horse puts on his teeth.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
How important is it to get a horses teeth floated? or other dental things done?
How important is it to have a comfortable horse that is not in pain?

In nature, the hard roughage would help keep teeth under some control. The soft high nutrient feeds we give them does not do this for them.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting.. I ask this because I've had my horses teeth done around 5 times their whole life. And everytime it's done the vet tells me that I didn't need it because they were in great shape.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Interesting.. I ask this because I've had my horses teeth done around 5 times their whole life. And everytime it's done the vet tells me that I didn't need it because they were in great shape.
Very possible you have a minimum maintenance- however you ARE having them checked.

We have ours checked annually when the coggins is drawn. One horse requires dental work every year but the rest have a power float once every few years.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It doesn't take much for a tooth to get out of alignment. If that happens, the tooth that is above or below will grow with a "hook" creating a sharp edge that makes proper chewing extremely difficult. It's not an exam that I'd want to skip. This article briefly describes some of the issues that can be created by skipping dentals... The Horse's Mouth: A look at Equine Dental Problems

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i would check their teeth at least once a year, twice if they are young or old

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I will be sure to get them checked out at the next visit. I just never hear people talk about it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think it is definatly important. I will be getting my horse's teeth checked at least once a year when I get her in the spring.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Very!! Teeth should be checked by your vet every year and floated as needed. Wolf teeth often need to be pulled, though go with your vet's recommendations.

If you let your horse's teeth go, the horse can lose weight and/or condition, cause injuries to the inside of the mouth (I have seen SCARS on the insides of the cheeks on a "healthy" and well mannered horse!), or cause behavioral issues (head tossing or rooting while riding due to mouth pain).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never got my geldings wolf teeth removed, he has been checked. The teeth never were a problem, otherwise they would be removed. I actually haven't got my horses checked in the last two years. Neither of them show discomfort. I look in their mouth every once in awhile, and everything looks normal.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
A student of mine bought a halflinger gelding. He was having trouble maintaining contact. He is seven and I guess we just assumed his wolf teeth had been removed. Lo and behold we checked and there they were. They were removed and what an improvement...INSTANTLY!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Getting teeth checked is very important. Going to a vet to tell you that you need it is rather silly. You can check yourself. Its like giving shots or deworming, an unnecessary cost.
*really hates paying more for something she can do*

·
Registered
868 Posts
Aidan hasn't had his wolf teeth removed cuz the vet said he was fine up to his last appointment which was just after he turned 5. We have the vet coming out on the 19th to do all the horses at the barn. Crossing my fingers he still doesn't need them out!

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is really funny because at our spring shots I was looking at my horse going... wow... I don't remember EVER getting your teeth floated.

So I asked my trainer if his teeth had been floated before I bought him and after we got him off the track, she said no.

Horse has never had any problems eating or being rideable or anything lol. So the vet did him. Poor Carlos had gone 6 years without getting his teeth done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.