The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
She looks like she's a little overweight, but I like my horses that way. She looks good! Pretty horse!

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
She doesn't look she misses any meals.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I agree, she looks like she is a bit overconditioned, but since it's winter, it never hurts them any. You can always work it off her when she gets back into more heavy work in the spring, or lower some of her feed levels, if you are more of a pleasure rider throughout the year, if you are concerned about the effects of her being overweight. :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I think it's odd because I work her about 4-5 days a week, with work out sessions as long as 3 hours long. So she gets a lot of exercise.. Maybe she's getting too much food?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, that field needs to recover. I'd bet she getting more sugar than grass. My advice, go riding. Build some muscles and make her earn the good things in life like the rest of us, lol! Hind feet are nicely balanced. If you are working her well, then possibly too many calories and the diet needs to be checked. Could be just a matter of pulling he off that field. You could very well have an easy keeper. Adequate protein, low NSC and no high fat.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
in the first two pictures she looks pretty plump but the last two she looks like she just needs a little tightening up, but like someone else said it is winter time so extra weight during the cold months is not always a bad thing. She is no where near over weight IMO.

p.s. not trying to change the subject, is it just me or do her back feet look a tad too short?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She doesn't need more exercise, I ride a lot and do a lot of cardio work and the exercises are quite strenuous. I will go out today and check what theyre feeding her and how much. I'll definitely ask them to lower the amount. I thought she looked pretty chunky! :D haha

·
Registered
211 Posts
cute little mare, def chunky but my gelding is a bit more heavy from the way it looks LOL! And he's only getting 14% creep pellets a bit less than 1/2 a scoop per day along with 24hr pasture. I agree with missyclare, you could have a dang good easy keeper which is a blessing in this day and age!!!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL She gets a half a scoop, too, I believe! She was a bit heavier at the last farm, and has gone back and forth between fit and fat since moving to the current barn. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.