The Horse Forum banner

How long can I keep Banamine and Bute in my fridge?

758 9
I was cleaning out my fridge and realized I had Banamine and Bute in there from 2020. No expiry date marked on them. My vet gave just enough for me to dose a horse if it was needed in an emergency because sometimes it can take a while for a vet to get here. Wondering if I need to dispose of them now.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,568 Posts
If it hasn't changed color then likely still same potency. If it's adopted a yellowish tinge then I'll say I've given an injection using something that sat in the fridge for about that long and it worked but if I'd have had new and it not been an emergency I wouldn't have used it.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In an emergency they are better than nothing. You can google/ search this information and get a more exact answer.
Fair point. But in an emergency, it may not be better than nothing if the vet is on their way, arrives, and cannot administer more because I've already administered expired bute or banamine and they don't want to overdose. But yes, I suppose I can find out online. I think I'll just call my vet office.

·
Super Moderator
18,132 Posts
I asked my vet about the Banamine and expiration for injectable form.
My vets office told me safe to use for 2 years after expiration and assume full-potency yet. After that, they would not comment and said risk is to be understood
For the cheap $ it costs to replace a bottle, anything past that "safe" time is disposed of.

For bute....I use so little of it...
I have tablets cause they have longer expiration and make my own paste if needed....
Since Bute is often given in a food fed, I can add and disguise pills ground up or make a paste and push it in a old worming tube saved and cleaned for just that purpose. A bit of molasses, pancake syrup, apple pie mix or applesauce as a binder, since the amount is so small I not freak about using it.

I keep both my medications in the kitchen drawer since my house is kept below 80* and shelf life is in mid 80 or below written on the bottle.
When I had/have banamine paste it was/is kept in the drawer too since darn its a lot easier to discharge that tube and not fight with cold gel/paste and my horses fuss less with the room temperature versus cold in their warm mouth. ;)
🐴...

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I asked my vet about the Banamine and expiration for injectable form.
My vets office told me safe to use for 2 years after expiration and assume full-potency yet. After that, they would not comment and said risk is to be understood
For the cheap $ it costs to replace a bottle, anything past that "safe" time is disposed of.

For bute....I use so little of it...
I have tablets cause they have longer expiration and make my own paste if needed....
Since Bute is often given in a food fed, I can add and disguise pills ground up or make a paste and push it in a old worming tube saved and cleaned for just that purpose. A bit of molasses, pancake syrup, apple pie mix or applesauce as a binder, since the amount is so small I not freak about using it.

I keep both my medications in the kitchen drawer since my house is kept below 80* and shelf life is in mid 80 or below written on the bottle.
When I had/have banamine paste it was/is kept in the drawer too since darn its a lot easier to discharge that tube and not fight with cold gel/paste and my horses fuss less with the room temperature versus cold in their warm mouth. ;)
🐴...
good to know. 2 years. I have bute in powder, and banamine of course is paste.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts