The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I would say yes. In the wild, babies are with the herd from the get-go. Unless you have some vicious horses in your herd, I don't think it would be a problem.

BUT, I don't really know, so you might want to wait for someone more baby-experienced to post. =]

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I can understand why you'd be concerned. Your little one will try to check everyone for milk, it's just what they do, lol. When I got my little one at 7 months, she had already been weaned but was just positive that Ricci would have milk for her. She would just spin around and kick out a bit, but they've never made contact.

It seems that your biggest potential problem would arise during feedtime. Is there any way you could be there to supervise them while they eat? I know that's not always possible. Maybe just separate everyone as much as possible, make three times as many hay piles as there are horses, and if they get grain, try to stay while they finish it.

I still think it would be okay. I don't think the horses will be as tough with a baby as they are with the others. They seem to know. =]

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
My girls do the same thing. Ricci is pretty content to stand back, but Gracie [my little one] is always all up in my face. My secret weapon? My dressage whip. Gracie has mostly learned to stand back and wait half-way patiently for me to set her grain down and take a few steps back before she can eat. If she gets too pushy, I say "BACK" and she gets a decent whack on her chest. Not too much, just enough to make my point.

That's probably something you'd have to work on individually though, I think it'd be too much to try to convince several horses to back up, lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.