The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Was wondering how many horses I can have on 7 acres I have a lot of grass on it. I already have 2 horses on it, how many more can I have for it to be a decent amount of grass for them?
There are variables that impact the answer. Such as where you live. In AZ you would need more acreage than you would in someplace like eastern GA. Here, in the flat, well watered deep South I can keep 2 horses on a 4 acre section of the field and they keep it well grazed to the point that it doesn't really need mowing. While if I put them on a 6 acre area they don't eat it down quite as much and i might need a light mowing a couple of times a month. I personally would probably keep my numbers down to 3, but certainly no more than 4 for 10 acres, but that's just me since I prefer to always have a bit more grass than needed since my horses lived completely on grazing during the grass growing seasons here (which is April through Oct....it's warm, hot, and wet most of the year so there is an over abundance of vegetation growth)

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
There is what the OP pictures and consistently says is a 7 acre field with a pond and carport as well as an additional 2 acres (1.5? In some posts) that have 2 or 3 barns on it. Not clear. OP is in Oklahoma and recommendations for that area from the Ag Ext are 1 horse per 6.5 acres unless you provide hay then 1 horse per 5 acres. They are experiencing an unusually high rainfall for this time of year. OP is also not the owner of the property as it belongs to a family member (extended?) and it is not clear who owns the two horses shown. OP wants her own horse. Only water available on that field is the pond.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
I give them water but for some reason they prefer to drink out of my pond. Yes, I do leave them out 24/7 365 days a year, I have 3 barns that they could go in, the barns are on my 2 acre field, their is gate leading from my 2 acre field to my 7 acre field so they have access to the barns in the winter..
Do you provide clean, fresh water daily? Is the water trough scrubbed regularly? Horses really like fresh water. If the water in the trough is dirty and stagnant, or full of algae, they might prefer water from the pond. Either way, you should still continue to provide them with clean, fresh water daily. You may need to break the ice on colder days too.

·
Super Moderator
26,943 Posts
You do not need a ton of acreage IF you are planning to supplement the horses with feed and hay.

You say you have a 2 acre lot that is attached to the larger pasture. If I read it right, it's only open to them in the winter but it has outbuildings they can go in.

If you use those outbuildings to bring them in and turn them out or swap, you can keep your pasture fairly healthy. You would have to supplement with more horses.

I have 4 horses. I have one big pasture and 2 small sacrifice paddocks. They will grow some grass but it's mostly weedy. They have an overhang in the paddocks. I have 5 water troughs that I fill daily. At the very least I run fresh water into them each day. I feed AM/PM hay and grain. In the summer months I use very little hay but I alternate who is turned out. The girls go out at night and the boys go out during the day. I could put all four out at a time but it makes it easier on my as far as feeding is concerned.

Rules change when you have stalls for the horses but so does the feeding.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Do you provide clean, fresh water daily? Is the water trough scrubbed regularly? Horses really like fresh water. If the water in the trough is dirty and stagnant, or full of algae, they might prefer water from the pond. Either way, you should still continue to provide them with clean, fresh water daily. You may need to break the ice on colder days too.
Yes..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
There is what the OP pictures and consistently says is a 7 acre field with a pond and carport as well as an additional 2 acres (1.5? In some posts) that have 2 or 3 barns on it. Not clear. OP is in Oklahoma and recommendations for that area from the Ag Ext are 1 horse per 6.5 acres unless you provide hay then 1 horse per 5 acres. They are experiencing an unusually high rainfall for this time of year. OP is also not the owner of the property as it belongs to a family member (extended?) and it is not clear who owns the two horses shown. OP wants her own horse. Only water available on that field is the pond.
My mom and dad own the pasture.. I'm sorry if I confused you when I said family.. I do mean family but I didn't know if you were thinking something else.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
1 more question, Would I be able to have 4 horses if I fed hay all year round?

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
You really aren't understanding that what is put on that property cannot be determined by any internet advice. Talk to your parents.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
1 more question, Would I be able to have 4 horses if I fed hay all year round?
Sure. People keep more horses on less land than that. But the question is, can you care for 4 horses? Will you be removing all the manure? Do you realize that's approximately 200 lbs of manure per day? Miss a day, and you can double that. Even on a larger pasture, it will add up before know it. Will you add lime and fertilizer to the pasture and mow the weeds? Will you be able to pay for 4 horses to have their feet done, their annual vaccines and teeth floated? Will you supply them with a complete feed that contains the right vitamins and minerals? Can you take on the inevitable vet bills for when they get hurt or sick? Will you check in on them every day, 365 days a year and never take a day off? Who will bring them hay and where will you store the hay in the meantime to prevent it from getting wet and moldy? Do you have the ability to move round bales every few days? Who will provide you with this hay and do you have the budget to pay for it all up front when it is cut? Or will your supplier be able to sell you what you need every week or every other week when you need it and deliver it to you?

You seem to be very focused on getting more horses in this pasture, but we haven't heard anything about the care you will need to provide to them.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Another question: are you planning on buying more horses for your own use or are you thinking of offering pasture board? Because if it's the latter, you may not be able to turn boarder's horses loose with your horses. It would be better to have the ability to separate horses for various reasons. So again, it's possible, but you'd have to build more fences. Secure fences too, not just temporary step-in posts in case some horses don't get along and are aggressive towards each other. Also so you can keep new horses out of the herd until you've made sure they don't have any illnesses or parasites they can pass onto your horses. Another reason for keeping horses separate is that they very often have different feeding requirements. Put an easy keeper out with hard keepers and some will be too fat while others might be seriously underweight. Older horses might have special requirements in terms of hay or grain, and if you put them out in a herd with younger, more dominant horses, they might get chased off their food. Of course keeping horses separate also means providing more feed stations and more watering areas. More than one shelter becomes necessary too, since it's unlikely that four horses will get along well enough to share one shelter so someone will end up being stuck outside in the elements.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
In another post your talking about putting up an arena. Taking up part of an acre. So is that part of the 7 acre pasture??? your going to be using to make an arena???

Now you're wanting to add a 4th horse. To keep pasture good it's a lot of maintenance.

I have 2 horses on 9 an half acres. Every day manure gets picked up weeds are either mowed or sprayed with chemicals to kill them. Pasture is kept mowed on good rain years every month. Sometimes every two weeks depends on how fast it's growing.

Keeping fence in good repair is also part of maintenance. I check my fence lines at least 2 times a week.

Can we really tell you your land will support 4 horses. There's a lot of things that depends weather ,what kind of soil what kind of grass. Do you have a place to keep horses off pasture if need be.???

My horses are on pasture from mid April or may, till mid November. Then they are put in corrals near barn for winter. This year drought has changed things horses aren't on pasture 24/7. To keep my pasture from being destroyed I have to limit there time on pasture. Had them on pasture for 2 weeks now they are back in corrals.

You mention nothing of maintenance being done. I spend over an hour daily picking up poop In pasture, an corrals. That's for 2 horses.

·
Administrator
36,201 Posts
Closing thread as it seems to be getting sidetracked into new queries from the OP and members.

Thank you to everyone who contributed with useful advice

81 - 92 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.