·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
meat all the way:)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I am! And I love it. I just don't like the way meat is made. The poor animals are virtually tortured in those slaughterhouses and henhouses.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Nope. I tried to be and failed, epically. I like my burgers and steak and chicken...and bacon...mmmm.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've been a vegetarian for 9 years now. It started out because I didn't like the taste of meat, and now I'm older I also do not like the way it is produced.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've been a vegetarian all my life. I wouldn't feel comfortable ever eating meat as it is so diseased these days and I don't like how the animals are killed too.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I don't eat as much meat as I used to simply because the taste has started to get old on me. I was a veggie girl at one time, but I gave in to lovely Chic-Fil-A chicken. I respect people that are vegetarians, though.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My brother is a vegetarian but I am a faithful meat eater. One of the main reasons humans are so advanced now is because they went from tree dwelling vegetarian monkeys to apes that had the capacity to start feeding off killed carcasses, followed by learning to hunt and using tools to help. I think as a human it is perfectly natural for me to crave and consume meat, although I do not like how the animals are treated in slaughterhouses. I have lived with my brother long enough to be tired of having to negotiate my eating choices because there is one vegetarian in the group. If a vegetarian comes to my house I have to make him/her a special dish. If I go to their house I don't get a special meat dish. Fair is fair, I'm not going to go out of my way to please someone who will not reciprocate my kindness.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I fall into the vegetarian who still uses by products like cheese, milk, and eggs(though I only use eggs from my mothers free range poop and bug eating, chemical free, happy chickens)... category,

I think it is called Ovo vegan or something?

I respect both choices.

I realize that herbivorism is not natural for humans, we are omnivores just like our ape relatives. But I also think that it is not an animal's purpose to feed a person. Not to mention the fact that I am grossed out by how meat tastes, you can practically taste the growth hormone, antibiotics, and steroids that are pumped into them and the stress as well (anyone who has had kobe beef knows what I am talking about on the stress part).

I have not always been this way, but I find I am healthier and happier this way.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am vegetarian and have been for about 2 years now

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
This is not to start a debate please, so let it be.

Tho there are ways to replace some of nutrients in meat, a balanced diet needs to involve meat. You shouldn't have meat in excess but you should regularly consume some meat. I do feel bad for the livestock being killed tho as they are not all killed humanely(almost none for that matter).

Meat as a component of a healthy diet – are there any risks or benefits if meat is avoided in the diet?
This article is not included in your organization's subscription. However, you may be able to access this article under your organization's agreement with Elsevier.

H.-K. Biesalski,

Universität Hohenheim, Institut für Biologische Chemie und Ernährungswissenschaft, Garbenstrasse 30 70593 Stuttgart, Germany

Received 30 June 2004;
revised 15 July 2004;
accepted 15 July 2004.
Available online 29 March 2005.

Abstract
Meat is frequently associated with a “negative” health image due to its “high” fat content and in the case of red meat is seen as a cancer-promoting food. Therefore, a low meat intake, especially red meat is recommended to avoid the risk of cancer, obesity and metabolic syndrome. However, this discussion overlooks the fact, that meat is an important source for some of micronutrients such as iron, selenium, vitamins A, B12 and folic acid. These micronutrients are either not present in plant derived food or have poor bioavailability. In addition, meat as a protein rich and carbohydrate “low” product contributes to a low glycemic index which is assumed to be “beneficial” with respect to overweight, the development of diabetes and cancer (insulin resistance hypothesis). Taken together meat is an important nutrient for human health and development. As an essential part of a mixed diet, meat ensures adequate delivery of essential micronutrients and amino acids and is involved in regulatory processes of energy metabolism.

Keywords: Meat; Processed meats; Nutrition; Fat; Proteins; Micronutrients; Cancer; Protecting factors

ScienceDirect - Meat Science : Meat as a component of a healthy diet – are there any risks or benefits if meat is avoided in the diet?

·
Registered
269 Posts
ok, don't flame here, but i DO have to ask... my old man's been in the beef business for 30 years, started in a beef plant back in '79, moved to corporate in '91. i've been involved in one fashion or another with the beef business for near ten years now and fully intend on running my own beef operation. so i speak on beef specifically because i don't know the pork or poultry industries nearly as well, but how are the methods used in the plants "inhumane" to end the lives of beef cattle? they are stunned (don't feel nothing then) and bled out, which also kills the cattle.

now, don't get me wrong. i don't live in a cave, i've heard and seen of some of the ill treatment of cattle. last operation i worked on recently, my wife came up and was asking about how we treated the heifers we were processing. she comes from the NE US where heaven forbid you don't treat an animal like a king/queen. i simply told her to look at the sheer number we were processing (giving shots, brands, tagging, and implants) on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
YOu dont NEED meat to live. But if you dont eat it you need to talk to a doctor or nutritionist to make sure you are getting everything you need to be healthy.

I dont like beef, except sliders and pastrami<- is that even beef?.
I love chicken, turkey, bacon, pepperoni and balogni. I eat tuna (canned), cod and salmon. I cant think about how the animal is killed or processed, or I loose my lunch.

vegans- dont eat meat or use animal products
vegitarians- dont eat meat (but some eat fish)

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I think the bolt destroys the part of the brain that feels/thinks the only part left is the piece that keeps the heart beating. I think it's done that way to make them bleed out faster/fully too much blood ruins the meat.

Personally, I eat meat. However, I do have a problem with the way a lot of these animals are raised. Not really beef cattle. Most of them have pretty good lives, they live fairly naturally for most of there lives anyways. Now poultry raising I have a huge problem with as well as large dairy operations, egg producers, and pork producers. I still eat these products but I've been cutting down or trying to find products produced in a more "natural" manner.

That's why I like to hunt. The animal lives a great life completely natural. You go out there and attempt to outsmart them. If they get killed it's usually pretty quickly and they have more than a fighting chance to get away.

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
No I'm not, I eat meat. Even I'm not sure what I think about raising animals for human food.

I am! And I love it. I just don't like the way meat is made. The poor animals are virtually tortured in those slaughterhouses and henhouses.
At first I want to say I'm not going to criticize anyone or say that you should do it other way; no, I think it's great that you've found your way to eat. I just wanted to remind that there are also slaughterhouses who do it humanely. If I roughly generalize I'd think that for example most of those smaller farms who raise & slaughter their meat theirselves aren't perhaps that cruel. Even of course there's also a lot of aloofness in bigger business world and it's pity.

And about PETA videos, I think it's most of propaganda. I'd heavily suspect everything that goes from PETA.

About slaughtering, I think they stun the animal at first. If they totally killed it they wouldn't be able to take blood out of the corpse. I still reckon the animal doesn't feel it (and doesn't suffer) after stunning. Even I'm not sure about the process.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.