The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally do 2 - either the first 2 or last 2 of the level. I might start entering Beau into all 4 tests in our future shows.

I normally don't see people entered into all 4 - do any of you do all 4?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
If I am doing training or first level I might do two a day. I normally just do one.
This year, because I have a freestyle, I may end up doing two in a day however that would be a very rare occurrence.
I really like to just stick to one a day per horse and make it a really good test.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I plan to do two at my shows. I am going to start out doing both intros (either the USDF or the club's versions) and later in the year might try my hand at the first training level test. It depends on how my horse does at shows, I've heard that he can be a total flake.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
1-2 tests, any more and I feel like I would be pushing both him and myself. There are also rules at a bunch of the shows in my area that you can't enter in more than 3 tests anyways.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, I did find out tonight that the USDF limits their competitors to 3 tests for 4th level and below. But, I'm thinking the schooling shows that I've been dragging him out to won't care - more money in their pockets.

He's only doing training level... as hard as it gets is a stretchy circle. I figure if he can ride a test, gallop/jump around xc for 5 minutes then jump a stadium course, he can do 4 4-minute dressage tests with at least 1/2 hour breaks in between each one ;)

Also, when we ride 2 tests, it feels like he's just getting in his groove during our second test. The second test is always better since he had a chance to get used to the ring/judges stand/etc during the first test :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I usually ride 2-3 tests. Our shows are one day only so I don't have to worry about the show spanning over a few days. The test number all depends on what works best for us and shows off our good skills. We usually try all of the tests and then pick the ones that we can excel at. Each level usually has one really odd test that had a difficult transition or something, so we try to avoid that one.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
At all the comps I've been to the max you can do is 3 tests and they have to be consecutive levels (ie 2 prelim, 1 novice). I think its some kind of rule in Australia, but I'm not too sure.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Yep Gidji usually you can only ride 3 per horse in Aus.
I generally ride 2 at consecutive levels. Sometimes I'll ride two at the same level depending on the horse I'm on.
The reason I like to have two tests is 1. It makes it worth the effort. Hours of preparation and lots of money into travelling and entries to only do one test makes it not so worth it. I usually have to travel over an hour to any dressage comps here.
and 2. generally my first test is a bit of a warm up test, I can see how the ground is riding, what the horse is feeling like etc. Usually my second test is best as I have got over the nerves and can just go out and focus on it.

I'll do 3 if the horse is fit enough and I need to get qualies.

·
Registered
344 Posts
In one day? I do two classes. Any more, and we fall apart.
But if the show is 3-4 day show, I'll generally show all 4 tests at one point or another (at least 3, generally there's a test that I like less that I try to avoid!)

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
He's only doing training level... as hard as it gets is a stretchy circle. I figure if he can ride a test, gallop/jump around xc for 5 minutes then jump a stadium course, he can do 4 4-minute dressage tests with at least 1/2 hour breaks in between each one ;)
I agree :) I do all 4. We're only Training Level as well :)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I usually do 2 or 3 but the next show im going to im doing first level 3-4 and second level 1-2 :D

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i usually just do 2, 3 would probably be too crazy for me at a big show !!

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
When I was training full time, it wasn't unknown for me to ride up to seven different tests, spanning different levels, during a show. I hate having tests read, so I ride from memory. Of course, these were on several different horses.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm taking my eventer to a dressage schooling show next week to kick off our season - we're solid First Level while schooling, and are working on mastering some Second Level. But because I haven't shown him before, I'm doing Training level with him - I'm going to do 2, 3, and 4. He's fit enough to be able to do three, and it'll be a good experience for us to really try to improve our score as the day goes on - it'll be interesting to see how the comments we get differ/stay the same. If we were doing First at this show, I'd stick to two, just because there's a pretty big jump between "relaxed, forward, accepting bit + posting to the trot" and "seeking contact, beginning to lengthen, sitting trot."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.