2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
do you ride/work your horses???

How many times a week do you jump??
Trailride?
Just flat work?
Or ground work..

btw to me a week = 7 days. :lol:

I know ive made a post like this before theres some new members Im sure and I wanted to see if its the same.

Little is the horse im training and hes slightly on the older side [16] So he gets ridden at least 3x a week just flat work then once or twice a week just work on manners and ground work. It use to be the opposite till recently :)

Chance, my horse, is 6 so she needs to be worked more and shes on teh FAT side so she gets just about an equal amount of groundwork and riding. Im trying to do more riding lately with her but with saddle issues and snow falling off the roof [oo scary] its gonna be more ground work for now. When I do jump her its at least twice a week. But all together with groundwork/riding days together is about 4-5x a weeks shes in work.

During the summer I would at least get her out on the trail once a week more if possible. Keep her from getting bored.

Also obviously both horses get days of just grooming and rest while im there so Im not just the work monster :p

Also after you have a bad day with your horse, such as falling off or just a frisky ride.. do you take a day off or continue the next day.

For me it depends on how bad it was. Usually if its just a frisky not listening day Ill continue the next day.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
0 at the moment! :lol: Except lessons once/week on lesson horse.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I use my horses every day that I get a chance. When I was still living at home/in high school, I would ride Denny for at least 2 or 3 hours every day after school and 8 or 9 hours on weekends and in the summer. I look at those old pictures now and I think "Wow, he was so skinny" but he just didn't have much body fat cause I rode the crap out of him all the time. LOL. Sometimes town riding, sometimes trail riding, sometimes cattle work. Very seldom did we have an easy ride.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I ride 4 or 5 day in a week and like Smrobs very few are easy rides.

·
Registered
868 Posts
4 days a week. Lately it's just been flat work and relaxed trail rides cuz the 4 wheeler is down and the arena is nasty from all the rain. Feb or March I will start jumping regularly again and riding 5-6 days a week with 1 day just being dinking around on the trails.

The baby I will work with on a daily basis but thats more like playing and pampering then work ;)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
If I had a decent place to work Lillie, I would work her 3-4 days a week. When spring hits, I will work her most likely 5 times a week...but alot shorter sessions.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
3-4 days a week. For now its just from the ground, I'm trying to get a nicer (and better suited) pad for my guy so I don't have to use 6 pads at the same time. However in September and a few weeks in Feburary (the low seasons at work), I can ride as much as 6 days a week!

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Completely depends. Weather, time, life in general.

Try to ride at least one a day. If the farm is quiet, I can get 2, 3, 4 worked in a day.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Since it is winter right now and I have no where nice to ride, I don't ride much at all.

And honestly I didn't ride Romeo much at all the last year I have had him.
But my new year resolution is to ride him everyday once it gets nicer out...

·
Registered
81 Posts
As many days as I can. At the moment because I'm on holidays the two boys both get 6 rides a week, but during school it usually is 4 rides a week. I jump every one or two weeks. Have no trial rides :( So the rest is just arena work

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.