The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many times everyone has fallen comparing to there years on horseback and what discaplines they do. In my 9 years I have done a lot of casual english and western riding, lots of trails for fun, some hunter shows and now I'm really focusing on barrel racing. I have fallen 7 times this year (3 times in one day:|) and its usually about 5 times a year. Am I just a failure of a rider or do other people fall around this amount or more?

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
More than I can count, and once, learning to ride racehorses, three times in one day.

The real question to ask about falls is "Did you get up any smarter than when you went down?"

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've ridden about 7 years. I have fallen off twice, once of my first horse and once of my current. Both falls were spooks during a clinic with the same clinician (although the falls were about a year apart), it's like a clinic curse.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i stopped counting a long time ago ! haha

after not having fallen for nearly 3yrs, i fell off 3 times in 2009 !

·
Registered
359 Posts
my falls per year depend on how many breakers we have for the year.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
I have been riding for seven years and have only fallen off once almost four years ago. Lucky, huh? -knocks on wood- I have however, also been kicked square in the chest and knocked on my butt (it was a baby, so no damage) and nearly bucked off just last month.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I've fallen more times than I can count. Mostly silly things - Just being a kid and mucking around. A few jumping. I haven't fallen in the last year or so, except for once jumping.

I'm now venturing into breaking - so it will probably multiply!

·
Registered
21 Posts
ermm off my current horse about 20 in a year nearly ! x before anyone sais anything she is very erm unbalancing sharp and hard to ride :p ev one who sits on her generally falls off x:wink:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Of my 14 years of riding i really didnt start falling off horses up until 5 years ago. i cant even count!! I train horses for a western events -no english disc.- but there mostly when we go swimming. i manage to fall off my horse in a foot of water!! ALWAYS!! lol. in Aug. i fell off a horse that was spooked by going up hills but this one was barely a hill *like a 5 degree hill* and started rearing and bucking like a mad man. i landed on my shoulder, knocking the wind out of me but i was good!!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't count anymore! And maura, that's a really good point. I learned that I really need to save up for a back cinch with the past 4 falls because all of them have been from having a saddle tip when my horse bucked and bolted and scary objects.

·
Registered
359 Posts
lol,m thats funny, i must also say, like alot of you have that the horses i ride arent exactly the safest. but they are for sure the funnest!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Falling usually sucks and hurts but there are always those couple that are just funny and whoops. I have fallen alot and been thrown alot. I have officially stopped counting. I had a quater mustang cross that thought it was a sport to toss me. But I think that the more you ride and ride hard trying to learn and other disiplines falls are going to happen. Good luck and like the previous people as long as you learn something from it all should be well. Stay safe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've fallen three times. But I don't even know if two of them even count.

The first time, I slipped off but managed to grab her mane on the way down and landed on my feet. So I don't even know if that counts as a fall, LOL.

Second time I was attempting to mount the horse bareback, from a bucket, and the bucket slipped out from under me before I was all the way on. Landed on the ground, on my shoulder. But since I wasn't all the way on the horse yet I dunno if it counts either!

And then the last time was a true fall, she tripped and I went over her head and hit the ground pretty hard.

Luckily *knock on wood*, no serious falls or injuries!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh lets see, I rode a for about 6 months when I was 10 and I fell off my pony when he started trotting and the saddle slipped. Then about two years ago I finally got back into riding and lets see...have fallen off about four or five times? All of them have been on Zane--my green broke four year old-- so I consider it not that big of a deal. Mostly because except for one time--which was my worst fall that bruised my entire thigh--I got back on after I fell. One of those times--just happened Saturday morning--my friend and I were messing around with Zane trying to mount him bareback without anything and I got halfway up and then slid to the ground. We laughed so hard. I don't think you should measure how well you ride by how many times to fallen off because even the best fall off sometimes :)

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Hmm. I have been riding by myself for about 21 years. I stopped counting falls years ago. I ride western and do trail, ranch work, and some training. If I wanted to count how many times the horse had fallen with me, it would be many more LOL. But if I only want to count the times when I suffered pretty serious injury, the my count is 3 for all 21 years.

·
Registered
200 Posts
About 8 times i think, in my 7 years of riding. Some of these falls were pathetic though, haha. I've fallen off Dougal 4 times in the 6 months i've had him. Which i think is quite a miracle considering some of the acrobatics he flings out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been riding for 1 year and a half and people think ive been riding for 7. lol. I do Jumping, eventing, and will be doing cross country in the summer. I have fallen off 7 times. lol. and i think that if you haven't fallen you aren't being chalenged.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Fallen off or was thrown? And would you count emergency dismounts?

Emergency dismounts=1 (I stuck the landing!)
Thrown=1
Fallen off=3
Sadly the falling off and being thrown was by the exact same horse in a period of two years. The good thing that came out of that was that I learned how to stay on. I've been riding for around 6 years.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.